• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting analysys.

Ski Speed at the 2014 Winter Olympics
http://realbiathlon.blogspot.se/2014/02/ski-speed-at-2014-winter-olympics.html

Martin Fourcade, Ole Einar Bjoerndalen and Dominik Landertinger have been the fastest skiers in Sochi so far. On average, Fourcade skied 0.4% fastest than the day's top ten, which is exactly what he managed during the World Cup season; Bjoerndalen is slightly faster (-0.3%), Landeringer a lot faster (-1.1%) at the moment.

Some notable improvers compared to their 2013–14 averages are Klemen Bauer (-2.3%), Jaroslav Soukup (-1.9%), Anton Shipulin (-1.2%) and Simon Fourcade (-1.2%). The worst performers: Tarjei Boe (+2.1%), Carl Johan Bergman (+1.9%), Johannes Thingnes Boe (+1.7%), Tim Burke (+1.1%) and Emil Hegle Svendsen (+0.8%).

Darya Domracheva is the fastest skier for the women, ahead of Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Gabriela Soukalova. Domracheva's and Mäkäräinen's skiing is virtually unchanged compared to their World Cup results, while Soukalova improved a lot (-1.8%). The two North Americans Susan Dunklee and Zina Kocher do incredibly well in Sochi.

Notable big improvers compared to their 2013–14 averages: Kocher (-2.6%), Elisa Gasparin (-2.6%), Dunklee (-2.5%), Karin Oberhofer (-2.3%) and Vita Semerenko (-1.9%). Worst performers: Franziska Preuss (+3.1%), Synnoeve Solemdal (+2.7%), Olena Pidhrushna (+2.3%) and Andrea Henkel (+1.5%).

Skiing performances of the two most successful biathlon countries, Norway (expect Bjoerndalen) and Germany (except Lesser, Sachenbacher-Stehle), have been very poor in Sochi so far.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
nothing crazy, in fact it seems pragmatic on his part.

anyway, i reported more than a week ago right after toblach legkov's own surprising statement that he did NOT plan the sochi 15 k classic.

the reasons could range from genuinely trying to save himself for later to friction within the coaching staff to practical realization he couldn't win and thus avoiding more physiological pressure.

Kokoso said:
Do you like Peter Sagan?

Kokoso said:
Do you think so? I thought everybody likes Sagan.
Put it this way: there's a thread here why I describe Sagan as cycling's number one Backpfeifengesicht and call him as appealing as syphilis.

There are many aspects of Sagan's personality, or at least his public persona, that are disagreeable to me, and I'm hardly alone in that even if I might be in the minority.
Kokoso said:
Soukalova is really, really great girl. She has awesome personality. After yesterday heroic performance ended with 4th place, she gave great interview in what she even joked about her underpants. This girl is really something. Impossible to dislike her.
I'm not a big fan tbh. I don't genuinely dislike her, but of realistic options for the podium, there are a great many I would want to see medal ahead of her.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I'm not a big fan tbh. I don't genuinely dislike her, but of realistic options for the podium, there are a great many I would want to see medal ahead of her.

I can understand why you don!t like Sagan. But what's your problem wih Soukalova, that's beyond my understanding. She is the very, very humble.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
all ladies already started and times the 1st check point...

my impression was that jusyna's advantage of 1.5 something sec while insignificant is important because marit looked more strained and as if she was breathing through her ears...

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Björgen bonked first time since 2010? Not nearly the way Jörgen Brink did back in the day, but still a big surprise. Böhler a slight surprise. Weng never seems to get the best out of her in timetrial.

MustIski said:
Björgen bonked first time since 2010? Not nearly the way Jörgen Brink did back in the day, but still a big surprise. Böhler a slight surprise. Weng never seems to get the best out of her in timetrial.

I'm not sure I agree about Weng and timetrial, but thats another discussion.

She said she had no grip though, and wanted to end the race at 5 km. Said she would have normally followed Kowa when she passed her.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i am happy that my observation above after just 2.2 k turned out accurate. justyna looked good while marit was visibly strained....

just watched kowa's interview. she said she was on a strong 3-hour painkiller because her bone is indeed broken. she found out of the broken bone only in sochi b/c the doctor before the olympics failed to detect it. said her skis were excellent and it was important in the last 2 k mostly uphill.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
chemistry belongs to another thread, br :p

but if seriously, there are legal painkiller and there are illegal ones...

while justyna used the med to treat a serious injury, - marit as well as many other top skiers - use the legal asthma medication always.

broncho dilators are mild stimulant. a painkiller can affect performance too, but less predictably with many side effects for performance if used improperly.

On a more interesting note, Lars Berger did a test run today to determine if he should do the XC relay.

He was the fastest of those in contention (Røthe, Gjerdalen, Krogh) so perhaps he'll get the spot! :eek:

(note: this is probably only a possibility if Northug isn't selected)