• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino attacks everyone said:
The reason they salted was because they thought it would be a warmer night than what it was. If it had been warm and no salting there would have been hopeless to ski properly.

They are overdoing it, though. No reason to turn the track into a super fast raceway. Salting cross country tracks has never been done until a few years. Not even when it was super warm. Just look at the 50km of Nagano.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Some interesting post race comments involving sundby... of all the norge skiers, i listen to him the most for speaking with his legs. apparently, he was not only the strongest norge in sochi, but what appears the most aggressive.

Sundby,
‘everyone knows that our team just is not strong enough at the moment,"
(wait a minute, THAT’s not what was said by the coaching staff just days ago. It was ALL attributed to bad skis) w.

Cologna,
‘if it was not for my accident, there would be one less russian on the podium. who rode over my skis ? it does not matter now (some observers thought it was sundby as he was the closest in the video)

vyleg,
‘ was I angry at sundby for the skiathlon ? not at all. I did not cut him off but tried to prevent him from passing me’

legkov,
‘was I concerned with sundby ? Yes, i was. at one point he was trying to pass me incorrectly ( a bit too close), then, i pushed him back…he snapped, that this was the last time he let me push him. i thought to myself, we shall see and i decided to let it go because we both could fall…’

search said:
Drammen sprint tomorrow, I guess you guys are pretty excited already.

Not a single post about Lahti last weekend in this thread :p

A bit of chat in the 'other' thread though, not in the usual accusatory way though, looking at biathlon vs. pure XC in respect of speed after Mäkäräinen's top 10 in the 10k.

There is probably a bit of an Olympic hangover going on, mind. And there's only so many times one can watch Marit Bjørgen before you've seen it all before. I missed the 15k so I can't make any comment on it, and the Nordic Combined had some godawful abomination called a "Team Sprint" which I'd prefer not to be mentioned or seen again. You think I'm too visceral about the sprints? Team Sprints make a tiny bit of sense in XC, but in NC with the Gundersen start it is just so hideously pointless. I guess the idea is that more people can compete than with the relay where there's only ever Germany, Norway, Austria, France and Japan who can podium, but giving us the artificiality of the XC team sprint but not the excitement of head to head racing that the XC version gives us, just leaves us with a messy and utterly unnecessary competition format.

They apparently are considering adding this in biathlon with mixed pairs. The deeper field in biathlon means - do they go with "Norway 1/Norway 2/Norway 3" and have the big four take up half the field? Or do they have a batch of races where only 2 of those countries' allocations of 12 are able to race? Keep the mixed pair sprints to Gelsenkirchen and Moscow please.

I'm interested to wonder whether the FIS will consider women's Nordic Combined in the future. Obviously with women's ski jumping still being in its relative infancy, having only just joined the Olympic program, we're some way off that. It's just that given the relatively small size of NoKo as a sport, I just wonder if they will even try for it.

Libertine Seguros said:
I'm interested to wonder whether the FIS will consider women's Nordic Combined in the future. Obviously with women's ski jumping still being in its relative infancy, having only just joined the Olympic program, we're some way off that. It's just that given the relatively small size of NoKo as a sport, I just wonder if they will even try for it.
Some reporter said during the Olympics that there are not enough women to give it a try. Are there even any?

kingjr said:
Some reporter said during the Olympics that there are not enough women to give it a try. Are there even any?

At the moment, probably not. I'm just wondering if, in a few years' time once the women's ski jumping is a bit more ingrained (most of the top names are still very young at this point) and the numbers are increased, if there will be some interest in the NoKo. At the moment it would definitely be too soon to produce a worthwhile field of competition. I guess it would be dependent on how well the ski jumping takes off and then perhaps push to see if the interest in competing in it would be there.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Love the combined, almost as interesting as the biathlon. Only problem is that there is only 2 countries that is capable of winning (Norway and Germany) :p

edit: Well, Watabe is close I guess, and the finish has either changed over to ski jumping or retired.

You did not just say that.

3e-Globe-pour-Lamy-Chappuis_full_diapos_large.jpg

there is a very promising finnish talent with Ilkka Herola though

and I wouldn't say it's just Norway vs Germany. Frenzel is a tad too strong at the moment, but in general there are several countries with athletes that can win, Austria (Gruber, Denifl and Bieler all won in 2013 or 2014), France (although Lamy Chappuis has'n had a good season) and sooner or later Italy will win world cups again, it has taken nearly two years for Pittin to recover from his injury but he is still young and getting better and better.

Even Hug won for Switzerland this season - although only because no one else could bother to go to Russia and compete at minus 30°C

Libertine Seguros said:
Don't forget Jan Schmid is sort of Swiss too :p

yes, that's true. And Mikko Kokslien's mother is from Finland ;)

looks like we have a lot of no-shows for the 50k tomorrow. Will be tough to beat Cologna I think, in case he has recovered from his sickness (but apparently he has, it wasn't anything but a little cold anyway). And let's see what Tobi Angerer can do in his last ever race

TRENDING THREADS