• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Now that you've told me it's not, I'm trying not to read the posts that way, especially since you've told me you don't actually like Soukalová, perhaps the biggest Czech star (although Vitková has been better than her all season, which I think is good because as you know, I really don't like Soukalová, and I'm finding my antipathy growing as well). That undercurrent just still feels like it's there, though.

Since there are some people who hate her without reason at all maybe it's turning around with Soukalova ;)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Flamin said:
Yeah, because normally every event is heavily commented on here :rolleyes:

Usually it is. But if somebody Norwegian, Sweden or Germa won his first WC I'm almost sure it'd be discussed. I may be patriotic...but I'm sure about this one as well.

Kokoso said:
Usually it is. But if somebody Norwegian, Sweden or Germa won his first WC I'm almost sure it'd be discussed. I may be patriotic...but I'm sure about this one as well.

I just looked through this thread. Not one person mentioned Tiril Eckhoff's first career win. She is Norwegian, as we all know. It did get mentioned in the Clinic though. By you.

There is no conspiracy to disrespect Vitková by ignoring her victory. It's just that, at this point in time it was seen as something on the cards. There's more likely to be a comment if it's somebody right out of left field (like, say, Katharina Innerhofer) than if it's somebody who's been improving their results gradually for some time.

Edit: actually it wasn't you that mentioned Eckhoff's first career win in the Clinic. Not until after Hochfilzen, when our lengthy circular argument broke out. Sceptic was the first to mention it, and that was a few days later, without specifically referring to the career win or Tiril by name, although it was clear enough what they were talking about.

So actually, Eckhoff's first career win was roundly ignored on the forum, and your point about German, Norwegian or Swedish first-time winners getting more attention than Vitková did "because she's Czech" is demonstrably false.

Kokoso said:
Since there are some people who hate her without reason at all maybe it's turning around with Soukalova ;)

Be honest: you've got it into your head that I don't like you, because we disagree on a few things and both of us are entrenched enough - and convinced enough - in our opinions not to be able to let it drop. I don't actually dislike you, despite the disagreements, but if the persecution tone continues I could easily learn to.

And therefore the fact that I dislike her gives you reason to cheer her. That's understandable. Certainly it's helped turn my apathy for her become antipathy.

TomasC said:
I think it's more a case of Makarainen going uncharacteristically not-so-crazily fast as usual. Those behing her in terms of course times were actually not far behind (Laukkanen 10s, MDH 20s and Vitkova was even faster).
Anyway - Veronika's win is easily the best day of the season for me!

I don't know what happened in the sprint, but she was miles ahead of everyone bar Domracheva in the relay though.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the drama of yesterday's mass start is behind us...

so many falls, yet the 4 leaders are the same with cologna still holding a remote chance for a podium IF one of the top 4 hits the wall.

halfvarsson said in a swedish paper he is looking forward to working with belov to chase down northug. he was livid yesterday post-race protesting that norway's sveen was deliberately sabotaging him, grabbing his poles etc..sveen admitted to being a designated man to help his teammates and to whatever he did was 'within rules'. anger never served true athletes well.

on my memory, today's men climb will be the most interesting in years. it is almost a given that in the 1st flat/downhill part we will see 2 ooperative groups sundby/northug and halfvarsson/belov...
pro_finalclimb-2-700x376.jpg

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Be honest: you've got it into your head that I don't like you, because we disagree on a few things and both of us are entrenched enough - and convinced enough - in our opinions not to be able to let it drop. I don't actually dislike you, despite the disagreements, but if the persecution tone continues I could easily learn to.

And therefore the fact that I dislike her gives you reason to cheer her. That's understandable. Certainly it's helped turn my apathy for her become antipathy.

No I don't have in my head that you don't like...never occured to me. And if your apathy for Soukalova changed to antipathy just because i cheer for her (even without I'd cheer for her really)...that means you like me? :eek:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So actually, Eckhoff's first career win was roundly ignored on the forum, and your point about German, Norwegian or Swedish first-time winners getting more attention than Vitková did "because she's Czech" is demonstrably false.
Ok so Eckhoff is just exception proving the rule, that happens, nothing is demonstrably false only because nobody mentioned Eckhoff.

Anyway look how chunky Eckhoff looks. That something you can't miss today.

No, it's not that you liking her increases my antipathy for Soukalová, it's that disputing the minutiae about her led to you telling me things that I didn't already know about her, such as about her "I'm a big star" attitude.

Kokoso said:
Ok so Eckhoff is just exception proving the rule, that happens, nothing is demonstrably false only because nobody mentioned Eckhoff.

Anyway look how chunky Eckhoff looks. That something you can't miss today.

Your argument was that if a German, Norwegian or Swede had their first career win, it would be commented on, and you appeared a bit put out that the same had not been the case for Vitková. However, Eckhoff's first career win was not commented on, therefore your point was incorrect.

Your argument on Eckhoff's build was that it was unbelievable somebody as chunky as her could ski so fast, but Soukalová is not exactly rail thin like a Mäkäräinen either, and you don't have any problem with her skiing fast.

Anyway, this argument is done, we've had it before. There's no disrespect to Vitková, just that her finally winning a race isn't surprising enough for people to register it as such.

On more pressing matters, do you know if something happened to her (Vitková, not Soukalová) on the second lap today? She was skiing with Eckhoff after the first shoot, then she lost a bunch of time and wound up with the people who'd missed 2 shots. Her pace the rest of the race was absolutely fine, so it was a very sudden and unexpected loss of 15-20 seconds, did she have a technical problem or a fall or something do you know, because it just seemed odd on her current form and the cameras didn't pick anything up as they were busy with Mäkäräinen's chase.

The "wave" set off at 7 minutes in the men's TdS. In the women's, if they do that, the "wave" will have all but 4 athletes in it, because of how dominant Bjørgen, and to a lesser extent, the chasing duo, have been. Bjørgen will set off, then Weng and Johaug between 2 and 3 minutes back, then nobody until Saarinen at 6'47. Surely they will shorten the gap back to Saarinen in order to allow more people to actually pursue in a pursuit race, rather than it being a parade for the podium and then a mass start that will inevitably be won by Liz Stephen?

The only tension in the race whatsoever will be finding out if Weng can hold off Johaug.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the race between the top 4 was very tactical...the impression i had BEFORE the race that belov will work with calle in front on the flat part to chase down the norwegians. i was wrong, calle pulled for something like 7 k out of 9 total.

it turned out, belov's primary goal was to safeguard a podium first and formost without taking any risks...he likely knew he could have blown up if he pushed early. for a first timer on the alpe cermis, he was prolly right...when they showed his pulse, it was low for the effort...

at the end, i recon northug did climb a bit better than in previous years, calle did too...as was sundby. i will examine the splits later.
---
just saw the posts above about the all time fastest....there is no FAIR comparisons b/c of different snow conditions and weather...also, tactical games do play a role and they are different from year to year.

meat puppet said:
It seems as though Johaug actually attacked on (or just before) one of the steepest ramps and dropped Weng there. Cant remember seeing such a feat before.

Yes, it looked like that to me as well, just before the 8,5km checkpoint. Seems she'd caught Heidi and was concerned about Weng staying with her and beating her in the sprint, but to actually go to what was almost jump skate to attack away from her was quite something!

Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, it looked like that to me as well, just before the 8,5km checkpoint. Seems she'd caught Heidi and was concerned about Weng staying with her and beating her in the sprint, but to actually go to what was almost jump skate to attack away from her was quite something!
Precisely. Clinic or not, and bad eating habits or not, I sincerely admire her never say die antics and willingness to put the knife in when push comes to shove.

In Oberhof, we are watching a race between Martin Fourcade and 29 utter idiots who are happy to just let him ski away from them. They deserve the change in the wind that meant he could shoot in good conditions and be gone while they struggled in the stand, because that is absolutely moronic tactics.