• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
...few moments ago my live fis app updated to show that northug has been pushed to a 32nd spot in the skate sprint qualification. buy-buy petter :)

sundby as well gone. the ustiugov brute is stopming everyone so far...halfvarsson debut is not bad, he is 24 so far and looks to make top 30. 70 of 100+ have already finished.

Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:
The sooner Marit Fourcade actually makes good on his threat to split time with XC the better. This is shaping up to be the least watchable season he's had yet.
He already did I think.
He had discussed a full split season before last season, though, doing a few events from each, until he got mono. Sure, he did Ruka a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't miss out on any biathlon to do that, only a mixed relay he could easily not have been entered into anyway. That's no different to when he and Svendsen and the Berger siblings raced at Beitostølen back in 2012 or so. I was hoping for a season where he's actually going to be absent from two or three World Cups, then it might be interesting to see if his constant victory points could wrest the overall World Cup title away from those who mightn't get as many points but are competing in every race. As it is, it's just rinse and repeat.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the men's final is still 10 minutes away and even the second semi- is not been run, but i am going to predict a sensation - no norges are likely to podium today after what i saw from pelligrino and the russian brute...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
stina jag älskar dig !

in my previous prediction i was theoretically correct too b/c the ustiugov's fall (who was heads and shoulder above everyone) has allowed a norge (fossli) on the pedestal. again, another french - gros - was amazing today.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Wth is wrong with Czech biathletes...with men especially. Something had to go wrong. They are running terribly, shooting terribly. Women at least can run. Only exception is Soukalova who's doing well as usually.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
this was one interesting relay.

i am not sure but didn't shipulin win in a similar manner (against a french, norge ??) last year coming way from far back ? he was ideal today - fastest on his skis, machine gunning targets and psychologically unbent. i am honestly surprised by the svendssen's relative slowness..

Gigs_98 said:
Dafuq was wrong with Svendsen today. He lost half a minute on Shipulin although he both made 2 mistakes.
Svendsen has been quite slow the last 2 seasons, particularly in the last laps. He seems to have lost all the speed he used to have. Surprised they didn't let Tarjei do the last lap as he's been skiing much faster and is a better sprinter now as well.

maltiv said:
Gigs_98 said:
Dafuq was wrong with Svendsen today. He lost half a minute on Shipulin although he both made 2 mistakes.
Svendsen has been quite slow the last 2 seasons, particularly in the last laps. He seems to have lost all the speed he used to have. Surprised they didn't let Tarjei do the last lap as he's been skiing much faster and is a better sprinter now as well.
That.

And Shipulin just happens to be the fastest and most explosive skier on the last lap, typically. Svendsen had decent ski speed in Östersund, but it's not like the old days, when he was unbeatable in the last lap. I think his disastrous shooting in Sochi Olympics, where he cost Norway an almost certain gold medal, is still in his head a little bit.

On a 2nd note, I just read that the Norwegian men was unsatisfied about the skis, Emil Hegle had on the last lap, blaming bad glide for the loss.
Whether it's true or not, it certainly is noteworthy, that Emil lost 12.7 seconds from the top of hill to the checkpoint after the prone shooting despite a relatively fast clean shooting.
What is responsible for this? bad skis or Shipulin shooting like a machine-gun?
Did a little research on the ski times and range/shooting times:

Emil vs Shipulin on lap 1:
At the 3rd exchange, Emil had a 30.8 lead to Shipulin that he needed to defend. At the first checkpoint at 1.2 km (out of the 7.5km each biathlete has to run), he had lost 2.6 seconds of his advantage which was, by the time, reduced to 28.2. Bare in mind that the first section is "relatively" flat'ish with no real climbs, but som descending. Emil lost time to everybody on that piece of course, which could indicate bad glide (poor descending skills does NOT seem plausible for a guy like Svendsen).

From that first 1.2km checkpoint to the top of the hill (at 1.6km), Emil did however increase his lead on Shipulin to 30.9 seconds, 0.1 seconds better than at the exchange. Now comes the interesting part: from the top of the hill there's almost entirely just descending left to do before the shooting range, and on that stretch Svendsen lost as following:

4.0 seconds on Shipulin
4.2 seconds on Fourcade
3.9 seconds on Jesper Nelin (SWE)

The calculations are as following: (Advantage_1.6km - Advantage_ProneShoot) - Rangetime_difference
In shipulins case: (30.9 - 18.1) - 8.8 = 12.8 - 8.8 = 4.0 seconds

This is when you use the Range times, which includes the time as they are getting positioned for shooting. If you were to make similar calculations based on pure shooting time, the numbers would be even bigger in regards to the time lost for Emil on that descending part. That finding indicates that Emil was struggling with bad skis on the descent, because we have controlled for the range times as factor causing the time loss, by including them instead of the pure shooting time.
It still doesn't change that Shipulin was fastest on the prone shooting, but he didn't find the almost 13 seconds on the range alone.

The story is the same for lap 2, between the prone and standing shoot...
Sorry for the long post, just couldn't help myself

http://www.biathlon-hochfilzen.at/course-maps.html
http://biathlonresults.com/?view=live_sessions
biathlonresults.com/

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Lukas Bauer is injured again. That makes two injuries spoiling preparation, same as Johaug = Norwegians should fear him as he'd be unbeatable (except for sprints of course).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
^yep, he's got a solid shooting record and his leg speed and a jump look particularly impressive when victimizing norwegians...last week it was svendsen and now jtb..they say he became a father yesterday and is very inspired...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
northug is out beaten by pellegrino and hamilton in a superstrong semifinal. i cant see who can stop pelle from winning yet another sprint in a row...well, krogh could i guess but he did not win his semi convincingly

and another curious observation, from the deluge of norges in the top 30, only one made it to the final.

correction: 2 norges

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I was watching the sprint live on top of the Nordic Arena (the 2nd climb), I came 2 minutes before the quarterfinals started.
The women's race was a little bit meh, but really liked the men's race, Andrew Young was a pleasant surprise, people really started cheering from him and Northoug not making the final is always a nice bonus. :D
Krogh almost fell right in front of me, he really had bad luck in the final.

TRENDING THREADS