• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought Pidhrushna was perfectly entitled to do what she did, experience won out, but I can see why it annoyed the crowd. Weirdest race of the season, so many big names missing, then some others pulling out sick, people you wouldn't expect to collapse in the range did (Semerenko, Virolaynen, Bescond), and a German squad made up of odds-and-ends-plus-Dahlmeier nearly wins it despite one of the worst shooting records in the whole field. Pisareva, I haven't seen anything quite like that since Taaramäe.

Pisareva might've been ill today, and not feeling too good at the start, because that was an almighty collapse. Well done to Ukraine, slightly disappointed with Italy, was hoping for a win today, but a podium is also very nice. :)

Dahlmeier just went too hard on the first 4km, and didn't have enough left in the last 2, despite being the better skier.

I think Dahlmeier picked her lane a bit too early, maybe she thought Pidhrushna was going for the middle lane as those behind her did, but she decided which lane she was taking before Pidhrushna, who simply waited for the German to commit, then eased herself into the same lane, which as it wasn't the middle lane meant giving Dahlmeier no room to get around her unless she gave up all her momentum and changed lanes. At worst it was like Petacchi on Cav in the Giro, not malicious, simply the more experienced head knowing what they can get away with to secure the win.

Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Good to see the unbiased opinion of everyone here. The german crowd was very unfair towards Ukraine. It was Dahlmeier who took the wrong line. I feel sorry for Pisareva - cannot be fun to have such an offday

I missed the race, what did the German crowd do? They didn't boo the Ukrainians, did they?!?

They did, at the end when Dahlmeier failed to overtake Pidhrushna.

BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Good to see the unbiased opinion of everyone here. The german crowd was very unfair towards Ukraine. It was Dahlmeier who took the wrong line. I feel sorry for Pisareva - cannot be fun to have such an offday

I missed the race, what did the German crowd do? They didn't boo the Ukrainians, did they?!?
I didn't catch the podium ceremony, so I don't know if they booed them at that, but they did voice their dissatisfaction with Pidhrushna at the sprint. Given the finish with the home favourite being denied at the last it's hard to fault them too much for reacting negatively (what are they going to do, cheer for Dahlmeier being beaten?) but if it continued on past that to the podium ceremony and all it's a bit off.

Libertine Seguros said:
BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

I didn't catch the podium ceremony, so I don't know if they booed them at that, but they did voice their dissatisfaction with Pidhrushna at the sprint. Given the finish with the home favourite being denied at the last it's hard to fault them too much for reacting negatively (what are they going to do, cheer for Dahlmeier being beaten?) but if it continued on past that to the podium ceremony and all it's a bit off.
They don't have to do the opposite thing, mind you.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I think Dahlmeier picked her lane a bit too early, maybe she thought Pidhrushna was going for the middle lane as those behind her did, but she decided which lane she was taking before Pidhrushna, who simply waited for the German to commit, then eased herself into the same lane, which as it wasn't the middle lane meant giving Dahlmeier no room to get around her unless she gave up all her momentum and changed lanes. At worst it was like Petacchi on Cav in the Giro, not malicious, simply the more experienced head knowing what they can get away with to secure the win.
Pidhrušná did it smart, she went between middle and second lane, so to appear that she takes middle lane and when Dahlmeier took the bait and went for first lane, Pidhrušná decided for first lane and went in front of Dahlmeier who didn't take the loss with grace.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Dahlmeier did not attend press conference...

We have some woman Svendsen in the making (or already made?)
Neither did Gössner, Oberhofer or Vittozzi, but Wierer did, and all four Ukrainians did, so don't know. Anyway, in the German TV interviews afterwards we got this:

"Am Schluss ist es etwas blöd gelaufen, das war schade und ein bisschen unglücklich", sagte Dahlmeier, die Olena Pidhruschna auf den letzten Metern ziehen lassen musste. Die Ukrainerin schnitt Dahlmeier den Weg ab, blieb dabei aber im Bereich der Regeln und siegte mit 1,2 Sekunden Vorsprung. Trotzdem meinte Dahlmeier: "Wir sind mega happy, das war ein grandioser Erfolg, und sie hat sich korrekt verhalten."
Source: http://www.kicker.de/news/wintersport/startseite/643165/artikel_dahlmeier_am-schluss-ist-es-etwas-bloed-gelaufen.html

Both the website and Dahlmeier seem to agree that while Pidhrushna did cut her off, it was entirely within the rules and Pidhrushna behaved absolutely correctly.

It might be that at the time she was annoyed with herself more than Pidhrushna which was interpreted by the crowd who overreacted the same, or what I feel is more likely, she legit thought Pidhrushna had cut her off unfairly, got angry, then saw a replay and realised it was all above board and she had just got it wrong.

Hammerschmidt, in the press conference, said it was just a sprint finish, just part of biathlon, that's all.

Libertine Seguros said:
Kokoso said:
Dahlmeier did not attend press conference...

We have some woman Svendsen in the making (or already made?)
Neither did Gössner, Oberhofer or Vittozzi, but Wierer did, and all four Ukrainians did, so don't know. Anyway, in the German TV interviews afterwards we got this:

"Am Schluss ist es etwas blöd gelaufen, das war schade und ein bisschen unglücklich", sagte Dahlmeier, die Olena Pidhruschna auf den letzten Metern ziehen lassen musste. Die Ukrainerin schnitt Dahlmeier den Weg ab, blieb dabei aber im Bereich der Regeln und siegte mit 1,2 Sekunden Vorsprung. Trotzdem meinte Dahlmeier: "Wir sind mega happy, das war ein grandioser Erfolg, und sie hat sich korrekt verhalten."
Source: http://www.kicker.de/news/wintersport/startseite/643165/artikel_dahlmeier_am-schluss-ist-es-etwas-bloed-gelaufen.html

Both the website and Dahlmeier seem to agree that while Pidhrushna did cut her off, it was entirely within the rules and Pidhrushna behaved absolutely correctly.

It might be that at the time she was annoyed with herself more than Pidhrushna which was interpreted by the crowd who overreacted the same, or what I feel is more likely, she legit thought Pidhrushna had cut her off unfairly, got angry, then saw a replay and realised it was all above board and she had just got it wrong.

Hammerschmidt, in the press conference, said it was just a sprint finish, just part of biathlon, that's all.
I agree. And I don't think it's an unfair rule - I also don't hope Dahlmeier feels that way. If Dahlmeier had looked up, she'd have seen that part of the inner line was blocked by a banner at the finish line. Since Pidrushna was in front of her, it is only fair that she gets to pick that line. Dahlmeier should have realized that Pidrushna would go left and instead have gone right. In that case, she would have won. Just poor tactics, nothing unfair about it.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:

Well some wouldn't react that way anyway.
Maybe it will lead her to realize that she actually has something to improve, on the contrary to what she said. Maybe she'll even begin to train properly now ;)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Yep, they booed them at the finish and podium ceremony too.

Kokoso said:
BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Thanks. I did end up watching the race on youtube, and while it didn't seem like the worst move ever, it was definitely the closing of the door by Pidrushna. I know most Germans are very sporting, so Dahlmeier was diplomatic after watching the replay, so too the other members of the relay team, although at first she was fairly upset. No surprises there. While it's not fun to hear booing in a sport like biathlon, particularly when the host is involved, I completely understand the fans and their reaction.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

BullsFan22 said:
Kokoso said:
BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Thanks. I did end up watching the race on youtube, and while it didn't seem like the worst move ever, it was definitely the closing of the door by Pidrushna. I know most Germans are very sporting, so Dahlmeier was diplomatic after watching the replay, so too the other members of the relay team, although at first she was fairly upset. No surprises there. While it's not fun to hear booing in a sport like biathlon, particularly when the host is involved, I completely understand the fans and their reaction.
Pidhrusna went straight ahead, was in front of Dahlmeier, so no way she closed Dahlmeier. Maybe Dahlmeier was uspet on herself, because, frankly, that was kind of stupid to choose left lane, there wasn't enough space for both and she should expect Pidhrusna to chose that lane. No closing door. Id they booed someone, they should boo Dahlmeier.
You could watch it again.

BullsFan22 said:
Kokoso said:
BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

I agree, and in that case it's just even more disappointing to see them boo, when really it was their own hero, who made a mistake. I don't think Dahlmeier reacted wrong in anyway. She was being diplomatic, probably knowing that there is only herself to blame.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Soukalova gave her silver medal to some eight year old biathlete fan after race :)

Dahlmeier can make eighteen pull ups. That's really, really impresive, especially if they had proper form.

Re:

Kokoso said:
Do you know if something happened to Benny Weger? He was quite a talent but this year his results are sad to see.
He was very good last season, especially on the tracks, where he had good skiing ranks in the mass starts and pursuits. This year he's 1.2% slower than last year and his hit rate has decreased by 5%, so it's only 75% as of december the 23rd. He did however have the 2nd best course ranking in the Hochfilzen pursuit after MF, so clearly his form can't be all gone. If you are interested, you could try read his blog:
http://benjamin-weger.ch/Aktuell
It says his summer preparation went well. My guess is he's just not that consistent yet. Same with Rastorgujevs whose performances also seems to vary a lot.

BullsFan22 said:
Kokoso said:
Do you know if something happened to Benny Weger? He was quite a talent but this year his results are sad to see.

Lukas Hofer too...
Hofer had quite a terrible season last year, where he finished 38th. So far he's 35th now, so not really any different to last year. 2013/14 was his best season with 7 top 10 results, including the win in the Antholz sprint where he looked like the next Tchoudov :D . I wonder what went wrong in from 2013/14 to 2014/15 though ? :confused:

Cance > TheRest said:
It says his summer preparation went well. My guess is he's just not that consistent yet. Same with Rastorgujevs whose performances also seems to vary a lot.
Rastorgujevs seems in one way a bit like Simon Fourcade - as racers they're completely different, but as mentalities go they seem to do really well in pursuit races, typically best after a bad sprint. Rastorgujevs has managed a top 10 from barely the top 40 before, and 4th from about 25th, but whenever he has a good enough sprint to get near the podium he suddenly starts snatching at shots and getting a bit nervy. He has made a habit of being really good in the relay too, where obviously he has no chance of the podium because, well, he's Latvian.

TRENDING THREADS