• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Singer01 said:
these 2 could have an amazing rivalry over the next 5 years if JTB improves his consistency. OEB is absolutely amazing, brilliant race.
Yes this was a great race and the result was a relieve as well. Also the look on MFourcade's face after the finish was priceless. Clearly not happy about young Bø dropping him and "only" getting silver - as arrogant as that may be :D

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Singer01 said:
these 2 could have an amazing rivalry over the next 5 years if JTB improves his consistency. OEB is absolutely amazing, brilliant race.
Yes this was a great race and the result was a relieve as well. Also the look on MFourcade's face after the finish was priceless. Clearly not happy about young Bø dropping him and "only" getting silver - as arrogant as that may be :D
There is nothing to be happy about if you are so close to a sweep and don't make it.

kingjr said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Singer01 said:
There is nothing to be happy about if you are so close to a sweep and don't make it.
I would fully understand him had he lost in a photo finish in a sprint, but that was not the case. Bø was the better of the two today, and so this was the best result Fourcade could accomplish. He should be happy about it.

Cance > TheRest said:
kingjr said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Singer01 said:
I would fully understand him had he lost in a photo finish in a sprint, but that was not the case. Bø was the better of the two today, and so this was the best result Fourcade could accomplish. He should be happy about it.
Maybe he should but i don't see how he can be just after the race.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Nice to see Kaisa win the Khanty sprint today, and I'm also happy that Gabi put some distance into MDH in the overall World Cup. It was evident that MDH lacked that extra gear from the WCH - speaking of timing the peak form just perfectly!
That collision with Sleptsova could cost Gabina win yesterday. Thats second unluckily lost victory this season (after the forgotten pole where Hildebrand won). Shame, such a shame.

that was a cracking womens pursuit. i struggle to think of many sports where women are as competitive as men at the top but in biathlon there is far more women that can win on any given day than the men.
also, where has olsbu's ski speed come from? has she been carrying injuries earlier in the season?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
So it's official. Soukalova is this winter's biatlhon queen. Overall and three small globes. Chapeau. She is very, very strong psychically, that's her biggest advantage. Glad that another non big biathlon country won it.

I wonder what happened with Shipulin and Dahlmeier. From hero to zero.

Re:

Kokoso said:
So it's official. Soukalova is this winter's biatlhon queen. Overall and three small globes. Chapeau. She is very, very strong psychically, that's her biggest advantage. Glad that another non big biathlon country won it.

I wonder what happened with Shipulin and Dahlmeier. From hero to zero.
What do you mean? Dahlmeier won 5 races this season and had the 2nd biggest points per race score after Gabi.
Shipulin had a subpar season but still finished 3rd in the overall world cup

Who would you put your money on right now for next years overall in XC and biathlon?
I'd imagine 2 of the 4 definitely repeat - Fourcade and Sundby (though I expect JTB and Ustiugov to be much closer in second than this years runners up).
I expect Dahlmeier to go very close, but it could be any one of a number of women winning the biathlon overall.
Johaug may have her work cut out on 2 fronts with Weng improving massively towards the end of the season and Marit returning.

all in all a more interesting and competitive year than this year hopefully.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Who would you put your money on right now for next years overall in XC and biathlon?
I'd imagine 2 of the 4 definitely repeat - Fourcade and Sundby (though I expect JTB and Ustiugov to be much closer in second than this years runners up).
I expect Dahlmeier to go very close, but it could be any one of a number of women winning the biathlon overall.
Johaug may have her work cut out on 2 fronts with Weng improving massively towards the end of the season and Marit returning.

all in all a more interesting and competitive year than this year hopefully.

Weng is always great in the latter part of the season, but perhaps she really did step up a level this season with her first victory. Like Flugstad she seems like a genuine challenger for the overall world cup thanks to her allround capabilities in both sprint and distance races.

As for Dahlmeier, I think she has yet to prove more consistency like MDH and Gabi did this season. Often, she doesn't participate in the races if she's not in top shape - I guess the poor races in Khanty shows what happens if she's not in great shape.

Ole Einar just finished his press conference. Two bits of news.
- Two more seasons. He wants another shot at the Olympics.
- He and Darja Domratsjeva are expecting a child.

The guy has 8 Olympic golds. 56 Olympic and World Championship medals. 94 biathlon World Cup victories and one XC. In 2018 it will be 24 years since his Olympic debut. And he still finds the motivation. Wow.

If you watch old biathlon competitions from back when OEB was a junior it was a very different sport. He's been there through several major changes to the sport in terms of shooting times, training, and procedures, and he's been one of the guys who set the new standards each time. If he didn't have his back injury a few years ago he would have won even more, and at 42 years old he still talks about what he can improve to get better. I hope he still has a couple of good seasons left.

TRENDING THREADS