• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently (according to eurosport commentators) Diggins and Brennan could get a gold in the team sprint. I'm sure Sweden won't have anything to say about that

LOL. The Americans won’t be able to ski as well in classic. The Russians and Finns will be up there as well. The Germans, on paper are strong, they may put Hennig on leg one, then maybe Gimmler, but endurance is a big question for the Germans, except for Hennig.
I am sorry to everyone that has to listen to British Eurosport. I am glad I don’t have to listen to them.

Ustiugov likely out of the team sprint and maybe even the regular relay with those two performances from Terentjev and Maltsev. Before this I didn’t see either of those two guys so high up, for one Maltsev raced the 30km, and while this course does help the distance skiers or allrounders, I still thought he wouldn’t even make the semis. Terentjev isn’t a huge shock, but he came to China only three days ago because of a small injury. He looked very composed and strong.

Not good for Ustiugov. Once again losing that chance at an Olympic medal. I hope, as sort of a thank you, they give him a spot in the regular relay, because there’s no way the Russians miss out on a podium there unless they completely miss the wax or somebody bonks horribly. They have a very good chance of winning that relay.

Despite the Eurosport propaganda you have to say that Diggins is looking strong and maybe she'll even fight for a medal in the 30km race. She gained time on Johaug in the skating part of the skiathlon, is great at altitude and the lack of gliding on this snow means that others can't save much energy by skiing more energy efficient than her.

Golberg and Klæbo seem like the best choices for the team sprint at the moment, but I'm not sure the schedule works for Golberg. It isn't good for Klæbo either if he thinks he has a chance at the longer distances.

So what's Norway gonna do in the teamsprint? Golberg-Klaebo? Someone like Valnes is probably a bit of a liability in the first leg on such a hard course. If Italy used De Fa do make the race really hard they have a problem.

Valnes disappearing there wasn't great for his chances really, and Taugboel isn't ideal. They're a bit snookered really. None of them are performing well here. They're going to have to hope someone comes into form at this stage otherwise no chance at gold in either relay

So what's Norway gonna do in the teamsprint? Golberg-Klaebo? Someone like Valnes is probably a bit of a liability in the first leg on such a hard course. If Italy used De Fa do make the race really hard they have a problem.

They better hope that Golberg (I don’t see Valnes lasting 6 times on that course) doesn’t get dropped. If he does get dropped then even Klæbo will have a tough time reeling in the Russians. At the same time I am not 100% convinced that Terentjev will be super fresh in the latter stages of the team sprint either. Do the Russians put Bolshunov on leg one to break the race apart and drop Golberg, and then hope that Terentjev is good enough to hold on?

They better hope that Golberg (I don’t see Valnes lasting 6 times on that course) doesn’t get dropped. If he does get dropped then even Klæbo will have a tough time reeling in the Russians. At the same time I am not 100% convinced that Terentjev will be super fresh in the latter stages of the team sprint either. Do the Russians put Bolshunov on leg one to break the race apart and drop Golberg, and then hope that Terentjev is good enough to hold on?

Russians should almost go Maltsev after that. He looked strong and should last the distance more than Terentjev will.

Probably their best option, that would allow him to ski at his own pace in the earlier laps.
Am I crazy for thinking that Finnland should bring Niskanen to do Niskanen things?

Probably their best option, that would allow him to ski at his own pace in the earlier laps.
Am I crazy for thinking that Finnland should bring Niskanen to do Niskanen things?

Niskanen first leg and Mr Obstruction second? Niskanen for sure will last the distance, and Johnny Mac is a better skate skier. Their other option is Hakola, but I doubt they put in a man who’s had an injury late November and has missed that much training.

Yes, that would be my idea, but there's the risk of overracing Niskanen a bit.

Once you get past the 15k classic which is Niskanens best chance, Finland are probably targeting 3rd in the two relays unless Norway implode on the day so might as well race him in both if he can. Any other combination won't be as strong so considering French and the Italians are also probably targeting it, you might as well go all in and see can Niskanen break the group. If they get lucky and Bolshunov is on the same leg, they probably have a great chance.

Well, Klaebo held on, but his supremacy IS gone. Bold prediction. This was Norways last gold and last individual medal.
Quite a bummer for Ustiugov.

Well Klæbo was never really supreme when he only won gold medals in sprint and relay races in big Championships. Still, I don't think he will have an easy job of winning two golds again in the team events, the relay is looking almost impossible against such a strong Russian team, only Krüger could save them but he is still not in China and in the team sprint he is in trouble too with Valnes in bad shape unlike Bolshunov and Terentev.

As for the second part of your sentence I assume that you are only talking about the men's side but I still see Norway with a good medal chance in the 50km with Holund and Krüger if he comes and even in the individual race they have a strong bronze medal contender in Golberg.

Sad for Ustiugov again but he showed good shape so he should still be Russia's last man in the relay and the French were disappointing.

Reactions: Bavarianrider
Can't see anyone challenging Johaug in the 10k classic.

Four years ago JTB won the 20km Individual also with 18/20. Also with the fastest skiing time. I was really surprised to see QFM so strong today. Also really happy for Smolski who nailed all twenty shots for the silver medal. The last individual Gold with 20/20 was Evgeny Redkin thirty years ago, who beat the big favorite Mark Kirchner thanks to his shooting.

I also have a feeling that Tsvetskov profited a lot of following JTB for some time. But in the end he paid for it. First in the last shooting and then on the course.

Tarjei won one individual in his long career and this was eleven years ago. Today could have been the first time ever for him to shot 20/20 in this discipline. That would have given him the bronze medal.

Well Klæbo was never really supreme when he only won gold medals in sprint and relay races in big Championships. Still, I don't think he will have an easy job of winning two golds again in the team events, the relay is looking almost impossible against such a strong Russian team, only Krüger could save them but he is still not in China and in the team sprint he is in trouble too with Valnes in bad shape unlike Bolshunov and Terentev.

As for the second part of your sentence I assume that you are only talking about the men's side but I still see Norway with a good medal chance in the 50km with Holund and Krüger if he comes and even in the individual race they have a strong bronze medal contender in Golberg.

Sad for Ustiugov again but he showed good shape so he should still be Russia's last man in the relay and the French were disappointing.

Maltsev was very strong today, he didn’t have the punch to fight for a medal in the end (and he didn’t do Ustiugov any favors by his pace in the second semifinal heat, which knocked Ustiugov out) so he may have given himself a spot in the relay and even the 50km. On one hand he deserves a spot in both of those, but I am disappointed that Ustiugov is likely to miss out. Maybe they’ll give him a spot in the relay, since it’ll be Bolshunov and Terentjev in the team sprint, which Välbe just announced. Even though he won, Klæbo is not in his best form, which should give the Russians a great chance of getting gold, if Terentjev doesn’t burn out. We know that Bolshunov will push the pace to try and get rid of the Norwegians, as he did last season in Oberstdorf. Hopefully Terentjev will do better than Retivykh in the second leg. Ustiugov would have been a very strong card to play with in either leg if he was in form, but he’s not where I thought he woood he, even though he finished 8th and missing out on the final. I can’t say with certainty, but Ustiugov would have had a better chance than Maltsev and even Terentjev in the finals, but he didn’t make it and clearly Maltsev wasn’t playing any team games, though I think he should have just waited until the second gradual hill to push the pace, because then it should have been three Russians in the final instead of two.

And the rest and the 50km will be interesting. Yakimushkin may get a spot in both, depending on the 15km classic. Semikov could also be a joker in the 15km and first leg of the relay. I don’t think Chervotkin gets a spot in the relay as I don’t think he can all of a sudden go from being 24 or whatever he was after the classic portion of the skiathlon to someone that will challenge for the medals. Spitsov is a shoe in for the relay and 50km at this point.

TRENDING THREADS