• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 439 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Speaking of tv coverage, there's always a focus on here about Eurosport(English version) but what do the Scandanavians think of their coverage?

Anders Blomqvist with his 'yes, yes, yes' In English whenever a Swede picked up a cheap podium, followed by a chuckle, instead of the focus being on the winner

Who is the female commentator now in Sweden? I noticed she was interviewed by FIS before a couple of races and naturally only focused on the Swedes doing well...biased media is everywhere it seems although I read on Norwegian forums that Jann Post is professional.
Coverage in Sweden is really bad. Anna Karin Strömstedt is the female expert. She generally talks too much and say little that is interesting. Main announcer Per Foraberg a former stadium speaker is even worse, he always forget he is working for TV now and always yell and repeat. Teodor Peterson sometimes work as expert announcer and actually does a good job providing insightful comments.

Before you had state own television duo Jacob Hård and Anders Blomquist. Both are old now and lost some of their edge, Blomquist main issue is that he is so biased towards the Swedish skiers and Hård nowadays misses too much action and sometimes has no idea what’s actually going on in the race.

In Norway I think Fredrik Aukland is a really good expert, Torgeir Björn on the other hand is awful, he says so many things that doesn’t make sense. Post is boring but ok. Both Post and Björn is also too much Norwegian biased for my taste. They also brought in Johaug as an expert and she is also horrible, got no training whatsoever and always find a way to glorify herself.

Coverage in Sweden is really bad. Anna Karin Strömstedt is the female expert. She generally talks too much and say little that is interesting. Main announcer Per Foraberg a former stadium speaker is even worse, he always forget he is working for TV now and always yell and repeat. Teodor Peterson sometimes work as expert announcer and actually does a good job providing insightful comments.

Before you had state own television duo Jacob Hård and Anders Blomquist. Both are old now and lost some of their edge, Blomquist main issue is that he is so biased towards the Swedish skiers and Hård nowadays misses too much action and sometimes has no idea what’s actually going on in the race.

In Norway I think Fredrik Aukland is a really good expert, Torgeir Björn on the other hand is awful, he says so many things that doesn’t make sense. Post is boring but ok. Both Post and Björn is also too much Norwegian biased for my taste. They also brought in Johaug as an expert and she is also horrible, got no training whatsoever and always find a way to glorify herself.

Jon Herwig Carlsen and Kjell Kristian Rike were very good commentators

That isn't Diggins fault, when she's out there skiing she has no control over what commentators say. It's completely irrational to have hatred towards someone over things they can't control.

Mike and Patrick aren't commentators though, are they? They have no journalism background, they are simply there because of their background in the sport. When David Goldstrom used to be the commentator it was professional but when you effectively get fans commentating the end result is cheerleading...it is what it is.

Regardless and I'll repeat it again. Diggins has no control over Eurosport or how they commentate.
Well, Mike and Patrick are paid for commentary. Yes, they're not from a journalism background, but they do commentate the races and by now they have enough experience that they should be able to understand the requirements of the role. By and large Patrick has settled into the play by play role with Mike fulfilling the analyst role when they're together. As I mention again, this is the de facto international broadcast, so it's even more jarring to hear such transparent bias and cheerleading - especially given they aren't as jingoistic or biased when it comes to people like Andrew Musgrave where I might actually understand it.

And it's not that I dislike Diggins because of Patrick and Mike. It's that I dislike Diggins and that is amplified by Patrick and Mike. I've said this many times, but it still seems to be being misconstrued: there's plenty about Diggins' public persona and behaviour that doesn't jive with me, but the fact that their bias continues to draw attention to her - and especially to those things about her that I dislike - to the detriment of their ability to actually impart anything informative or interesting about the sport they're paid to commentate on, becomes a huge dent in my enjoyment of the sport. The more she's rewarded with attention and praise for these antics and artificialities, the more I can't overlook them, and the more they grind my gears when I see her. This line of conversation had petered out and we weren't talking about Diggins, but now we are talking about her again, and you'll then view it as me continuing to pollute the forum with posts about her when the only reason I'm talking about her right now is that you dredged the subject back up to tell me how wrong it is for me to dislike her.

It's like how lots of bands are as bad as Nickelback, but Nickelback became a lightning rod for people's hatred because of how ubiquitous they became, and it made that dislike both more visceral and more lasting. Contemporaries like Puddle of Mudd or Stain'd have become forgotten footnotes, but people still hate Nickelback to this day. The extent and enduring nature of the hatred might have to a large extent been the result of the media, but it doesn't mean people didn't dislike Nickelback for other reasons too.

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site

I read a few comments last season about Johaug on the Diskutopia that she was doing well?

How is Marit doing? I read her comments in the media and she seems very, very negative about the Norwegian girls - I can't help but think someone needs to have a little word in her ear and remind her not everyone is going to be as good as her.

Maiken? Holund? I thought Sundby would be good but not sure if he still commentates or not?

The TV element is why it is held on the weekdays with the more crowd-pleasing events on the weekend days.

I vehemently oppose them making any more races Mass Start. I think the Mass Start is actually the least interesting biathlon format because it's the most formulaic and also because it has the fewest starters it's a regular self-fulfilling prophecy about who the entrants are. The Individual frequently has the highest number of starters.
I've thought about that problem. You could have 60 people if it was a 3.3km loop. Half shoot after 3.3, other half shoot after 6.6 and then everyone shoots at 10, 13.3 and 16.6.
I know things a terrible idea, I just really really hate watching the individual.

Also love the idea of someone having a 2 minute lead on final shoot and their face when they know they have to ski an extra 600 or 900m when they meltdown in the range.

I've thought about that problem. You could have 60 people if it was a 3.3km loop. Half shoot after 3.3, other half shoot after 6.6 and then everyone shoots at 10, 13.3 and 16.6.
I know things a terrible idea, I just really really hate watching the individual.

Also love the idea of someone having a 2 minute lead on final shoot and their face when they know they have to ski an extra 600 or 900m when they meltdown in the range.
I think there are two main problems with televising the individual. The first is that we often don't see much of the trails at all, besides in the first few minutes before the range gets busy, and the last few minutes when the final relevant starters are going through and most of the results sheet is set. The second is that the camera crews are often a little slow to pick up who out of shooters who aren't clear are relevant.

The 2021 World Championships Women's Individual is a key case in point; the cameras spent the vast majority of the race following Hanna Öberg, Lisa Theresa Hauser and Dorothea Wierer around, because they started with clean shooting and decently strong skiing, but of those only Öberg ended up on the podium, thanks to Hauser and Wierer both missing 2 targets in the back 10. It took them until her final shoot to notice Davidová was still on a perfect score, because she was largely shooting at around the same time as Öberg, starting eight and a half minutes behind her and winning with 20/20 in 42'27, so almost exactly eight and a half minutes per lap. Even worse, Tandrevold who got bronze wasn't picked up until she'd already left the final shoot, because she missed at the first visit to the range so hadn't popped up as being near the top on any of the timing screens even though she was only a minute down because of that early miss, so as others missed late on, she came back into contention.

I don't know if maybe they would need to create some better gaps between contenders in order to allow a bit more time for things to breathe, similar to how they stagger the big guns with lower qualifiers between them in the XC individual starts, as otherwise, especially when there is a particularly desirable part of the startlist, you end up with all the big guns clustered together on the startlist, and the range gets very hectic, leading to contender after contender being in the range together and the cameras just flitting between different athletes in the range.

As for the point on athletes needing to ski an extra 900m or what have you... I do think, however, we might be due the men doing a 200m penalty loop. The women's competition has far wider variety between the strongest skiers and the best shooters rather than having one or two teams completely bogart the top 10 if they get the skis right; the men ski further in all but the SMR and Mixed Relay, and it takes them less time to complete the penalty loop on average, so the penalty for missing a target is noticeably less than in the women's races.

I read a few comments last season about Johaug on the Diskutopia that she was doing well?

How is Marit doing? I read her comments in the media and she seems very, very negative about the Norwegian girls - I can't help but think someone needs to have a little word in her ear and remind her not everyone is going to be as good as her.

Maiken? Holund? I thought Sundby would be good but not sure if he still commentates or not?
Dont know about the rest as I have only access to SVT and NRK and the Swedish version of Viaplay.

I guess Norwegians like Johaug since she was an athlete and that could influence their judgement of her as an expert. The main problem I have with her is that she often relate just back to herself and does not see the big picture, implicitly she is just bragging about herself even if I am not sure it’s meant. For example she said one time that the reason Norway is not good in women’s cross country anymore is that the athletes don’t train as much as she did. The one that actually tried is Fossesholm and she has had all kind of troubles ever since. Then she has a tendency of talking very loud and not being concise which I think is important in television. But that’s on NRK I think, they could have coached her better.

That was actually a pretty good individual (assuming nobody still to finish does anything special).
Simon was f'ing rapid.
1st win, must be an amazing feeling, especially at 28.

Yeah, a great win for Häcki-Groß, who seems to now be in a good place both mentally and physically.

Horrible day for Braisaz-Bouchet, and Vittozzi had one miss too many. It looks good for Tandrevold.

Wierer shot alright, but her ski speed is still lacking.

No idea what you're on about but if you're going to quote me, full quote please not out of context.
I wanted to indicate which part of a long post that I’m responding to, but I couldn’t get the bold to work. I brought up Sagan because in years past LS also constantly trashed Sagan in the same fashion, so I was making a forum joke to illustrate that it’s not all about Americans. But that was yesterday anyways.

I guess Norwegians like Johaug since she was an athlete and that could influence their judgement of her as an expert. The main problem I have with her is that she often relate just back to herself and does not see the big picture, implicitly she is just bragging about herself even if I am not sure it’s meant. For example she said one time that the reason Norway is not good in women’s cross country anymore is that the athletes don’t train as much as she did. The one that actually tried is Fossesholm and she has had all kind of troubles ever since. Then she has a tendency of talking very loud and not being concise which I think is important in television. But that’s on NRK I think, they could have coached her better.
I think shes horrible, she doesnt bring much inside info (Sundby and Dyrhaug are much better when they are on TV), speaks a lot about herself as you say and has an annoying voice. I think the ones that likes her in that role are limited to the same people that have been fanboying over her during her career.

Who was talking about Lien the other day? She looks good to be the 4th on the Norwegian relay team after today.
That was me - on paper before the season she'd have been the 2nd in command in the Norwegian team behind Tandrevold, obviously now Knotten has undisputably passed her and Arnekleiv has shown that she has comparable upside and would appear so far to be less prone to meltdowns than Ida was previously, too. However, nobody else on the team has really made a major claim for the spot other than Skogan, and since Christmas her form has taken an absolute nosedive leaving that place open. Lien has a higher potential at this point in time than the likes of Kalkenberg and Erdal who bounce between the World and IBU Cups. Lien started the season with back problems so has worked her way back to fitness coming through the IBU Cup so we hadn't seen much of her this season, but that also means she's fresher. But she was, if still volatile in the range, skiing rings around most of the field in the IBU Cup this last couple of weeks so it looked like the 'old' Ida was back.

I think shes horrible, she doesnt bring much inside info (Sundby and Dyrhaug are much better when they are on TV), speaks a lot about herself as you say and has an annoying voice. I think the ones that likes her in that role are limited to the same people that have been fanboying over her during her career.
Johaug just comes off as neither very bright, nor humble, a bad combo...