• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic World Ski Championship

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
cartman said:
Pretty good scream by Johaug when she crossed the finish line, quite happy I'd say. Bjørgen looking in very good shape, and Kowalczyk got plenty of power, should be an interesting 30 km.

Yes, Kalla should crush them all.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
flyor64 said:
*crossing fingers* We´re looking at the 15KM classic on Tue or the 4x5 Womens relay (Norway FTW :D) on Thurs. work dependent

Probably less people out there on the weekdays, although there might be a lot of people wanting to see the relay (very good medal chance) + the big hill.

This article says Northug is going with the team sprint instead of the 15 km. http://www.adressa.no/sport/skiVM/article1595315.ece Adressa are usually reliable when it comes to this. Reasoning is the bigger chance of medal in the team sprint. He did do all 6 events in Vancouver, but in Oslo the events are closer to each other. (three days less time) A 15 km classic with individual start, in an undulating terrain is not his strenght. IIRC he has won a WC 15 km classic induvidual start before though.

Meanwhile, Marit Bjørgen might do all 6 events.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
cartman said:
If she has a good day she could be up there, hope she can make things happen.

Hehe, I am trying my best to be optimistic, but it's hard too see that anyone could challange Marit B for the win, Kowa and Johaug though, I feel, could be unseated since they have some weaknesses in their skate techniques.

Shouldn't be surprised if Steira was in the mix as well.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Tight finish to the 30 km, up the 'Hellner hill' they were three abreast, made for an exciting finish. It looked like the Swedes had poor skis during the classics part. The Canadians did a good race, Harvey attempting a solo attack. Good team effort from Norway, looks like both Gjerdalen and Røthe are in form and are good competitors with Hegle Svendsen for that third relay spot.

I'm thinking that's common sense really - otherwise there will be a level of jet lag when he's trying to perform in Khanty-Mansiysk and since he's a biathlete first and foremost (and more of a threat to medal in the discipline than most of the other biathletes who've placed in relays) he should focus on the biathlon worlds. I suppose normally jet lag wouldn't be an issue but with a few timezones between Khanty-Mansiysk and Oslo it's not worth it.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I'm thinking that's common sense really - otherwise there will be a level of jet lag when he's trying to perform in Khanty-Mansiysk and since he's a biathlete first and foremost (and more of a threat to medal in the discipline than most of the other biathletes who've placed in relays) he should focus on the biathlon worlds. I suppose normally jet lag wouldn't be an issue but with a few timezones between Khanty-Mansiysk and Oslo it's not worth it.

Yeah, he described it as a win - win, because this means a better preperation for Khanty. Still he's disappointed, (and feels he's a better skier than them) but if he really wanted to go he would have done some races in advance to secure his spot. (as I believe the XC-coaches wanted him to do) There's some prestige in this as well, XC-coaches would rather pick one of their own.

Even if he's a biathlete I think he would rather have a medal from Holmenkollen and be worse off in Khanty. Biathlon world champs are three out of four years while a world championship in Holmenkollen is maybe one in twenty years. Looking at Northug he cried like a baby when he won today, and ranked it the best win of his life (before the 50 km olympic gold). 60-70,000 up there today and we're talking atleast equal if not more for the relay.

At least we don't have two guys from Strindheim IL go the last laps for Norway. :D

Libertine Seguros said:

Svendsen really wanted to do the relay because skiing in front of thousands of screaming Norwegians in Holmenkollen must be an experience every Norwegian would like to experience. It would've been an unique experience and in biathlon he has already won everything and they have World championships every year.

And I got to agree with Svendsen that he would've been better option than Röthe or Gjerdalen.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Nastyy said:
Svendsen really wanted to do the relay because skiing in front of thousands of screaming Norwegians in Holmenkollen must be an experience every Norwegian would like to experience. It would've been an unique experience and in biathlon he has already won everything and they have World championships every year.

And I got to agree with Svendsen that he would've been better option than Röthe or Gjerdalen.

Yeah, he's the best of the three, could have made selecting him easier by doing a race though. At least it was a good showing by Røthe and Gjerdalen today which is good.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:

Dude take the d-word to the clinic where a particular thread was opened to talk this very subject and XC skiing...

You'll notice this thread lies in The Cafe and we're trying very hard to talk about the racing itself, the atmosphere, the problems with public trans to and from, etc etc etc.

I really don't want this thread going over "there" ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
Dude take the d-word to the clinic where a particular thread was opened to talk this very subject and XC skiing...

You'll notice this thread lies in The Cafe and we're trying very hard to talk about the racing itself, the atmosphere, the problems with public trans to and from, etc etc etc.

agreed. the pristine sport of ours doesn't need this today.;)

did anyone watch lady's 10K individual ?

bjoergen was fantastic again. but the day, to give credit where it's due, was won by finnish waxman, it was obvious they got it right with the clister hard wax mix ratios. no other nation placed so densely on the top.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
flyor64 said:

Ok, sorry.
Go on trying. :D

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
python said:

bjoergen was fantastic again. but the day, to give credit where it's due, was won by finnish waxman, it was obvious they got it right with the clister hard wax mix ratios. no other nation placed so densely on the top.

Yes, I did.
When it's about wax - joy and sorrow are close togezer.

Now men's nordic kombi relay. Germany (still) leading. Good wax.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
And Germans still have benefit because of that great fog-jump, if I remember it right ?

Didn't follow really close.
Austria on second now. Norway 10 sec behind.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
python said:

Agreed. Folks often joke about the wax...but that is where it is at!!!

It's been shown time and time again to be a game-breaker.

The Norwegian Men's relay at the Olympics this year was one perfect example...

A very very fit Hjelmeset struggled to barely keep contact during his Classic leg of the race...effectively removing any opportunity for Gold.

(Northug's leg to get the Silver is another story...:D)

TRENDING THREADS