• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic World Ski Championship

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
yes, very impressed with rikardson's opening the huge gaps. the second leg should be decisive. i thought normay was 26 back.

edit: 12 now

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
python said:
the 2nd classic leg was over a full minute slower than the 1st one. did not look that way.

Well, Jauhojärvi was a minute faster than Olsson or something, so it doesn't surprise me. He took in major time.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Is that the time from 1st team at one exchange to the first team at the next exchange or is it the actual time for the fastest team on the leg?
lead times, my own calculation (+/- few seconds) but the leading 2 teams had minimal gaps on others all along...20 seconds or so)

python said:
lead times, my own calculation (+/- few seconds) but the leading 2 teams had minimal gaps on others all along...20 seconds or so)

I just checked the intermediates. The first leg was 25:43 and the fastest on the first skate leg was Finland at 23:45 so it seems there's nothing really out of the ordinary.

Amazing and somewhat unexpected performance from Arnd Peiffer this morning. Fourcade is super-strong and could well pick up the biggest medal haul of anyone at these Worlds. Bronze for Bø, he just never stops going.

Bjørndalen said in his interview (in German?!) that he feels Norway as a whole were quite disappointing and feels that the possibility of appearing at the Nordic Worlds in Holmenkollen proved something of a distraction.

Shooting was a bit of a lottery, only 2 people shooting clear, and only one of those was relevant - Makoveev giving Russia its first thing to cheer about with 4th place.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
anyone's watching women's 30K ? kowalczyk isn't looking her usual i thnk.

each corner she's too carefull, ski change - she was sluggish. is she gaming ?

Johaug has the 1-2 in my favourite sporting performances of 2011 list. That was just amazing. Left Bjørgen and Kowalczyk behind with half the race to go, and soloed in. Nobody can touch her on the steepest stuff.

I have to say it, I think the women's long distance races are more entertaining than the men's, the 50k has a tendency to stay together far longer than that.

Now back to Khantiy-Mansiysk.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Johaug has the 1-2 in my favourite sporting performances of 2011 list. That was just amazing. Left Bjørgen and Kowalczyk behind with half the race to go, and soloed in. Nobody can touch her on the steepest stuff.

I have to say it, I think the women's long distance races are more entertaining than the men's, the 50k has a tendency to stay together far longer than that.

Now back to Khantiy-Mansiysk.

Well, tomorrow there's good possibilities of something happening, hilly race and I doubt they would want to end up with Northug there in the end.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Amazing and somewhat unexpected performance from Arnd Peiffer this morning. Fourcade is super-strong and could well pick up the biggest medal haul of anyone at these Worlds. Bronze for Bø, he just never stops going.

Bjørndalen said in his interview (in German?!) that he feels Norway as a whole were quite disappointing and feels that the possibility of appearing at the Nordic Worlds in Holmenkollen proved something of a distraction.

Shooting was a bit of a lottery, only 2 people shooting clear, and only one of those was relevant - Makoveev giving Russia its first thing to cheer about with 4th place.

Thanks for the recap, I didn't get to watch the men's sprint. Looking forward to the womens sprint now.

German is the most common third language in Norway, I believe Hegle Svendsen speaks it (not too good) as well I think. Add in that Bjørndalen lives in Toblach and he should be quite fluent.

I was just surprised as the other Norwegians were interviewed in English, then Bjørndalen in German.

It was quite a good race; Peiffer's time looked imposing but not quite untouchable, and we had a really tight battle for positions 3-10. 4 Germans in the top 10, only 2 Norwegians, but only 1 medal each.

Given Peiffer's trouble from the stand when leading the pursuit in Presque Isle, we could have a really exciting pursuit on our hands with such a tight bunching of competitors - but Martin Fourcade being just 13 seconds back will be a big, big threat and probably starts as favourite.

If Magdalena Neuner hits all targets there are few who can even come close to stopping her. Mäkäräinen has been superb all season but it was just a bridge too far. Kuzmina get's Russia's first medal of the tournament (although of course it will go to Slovakia).

If you'd told me at the start of the day that Germany would have 2 in the top 10 of one sprint and 4 in the other I'd have said it was 4 women, no doubt about it. Strength in depth! It's also a good day to be one of my favourites, with Peiffer, Johaug and Neuner all triumphing.

Bit of a disappointment for Tora Berger, though we saw disappointingly little of her on the way round. Still, she can't be written out of contention just yet, especially if it's poor shooting conditions tomorrow. Andrea Henkel on the other hand must be wondering what on earth went wrong. Marie-Laure Brunet likewise. Poor performances write them out of the medal hopes for two events now; though there were no high-profile catastrophes like in the men's, where Alexis Boeuf goes from winning his first WC event in Maine to not even qualifying for the World Championships pursuit. The Russian team's decision to send Svetlana Sleptsova home after her poor show in the mixed relay is a big, big call though.

cartman said:
Well, tomorrow there's good possibilities of something happening, hilly race and I doubt they would want to end up with Northug there in the end.

France will for sure try something. Just like in last years World Cup race. Now Vittoz isn't in his top form so Manificat won't have him helping him. Manificat is at least near his best since he was 6th in the 15km classic and he's far worse in classic. Maybe Harvey is up for the challenge and will go with Manificat. Maybe some others too who have the courage. Guys with any ambition have to try something as no one will beat Northug in the sprint.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, volatile conditions in Kollen now, was quite bummed out when Norway failed to get 1 on the podium after having 2nd and 3rd after the first jump on Thursday, so I guess I shouldn't expect too much in these conditions. Although they could get lucky.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If Magdalena Neuner hits all targets there are few who can even come close to stopping her. Mäkäräinen has been superb all season but it was just a bridge too far. Kuzmina get's Russia's first medal of the tournament (although of course it will go to Slovakia).

If you'd told me at the start of the day that Germany would have 2 in the top 10 of one sprint and 4 in the other I'd have said it was 4 women, no doubt about it. Strength in depth! It's also a good day to be one of my favourites, with Peiffer, Johaug and Neuner all triumphing.

Bit of a disappointment for Tora Berger, though we saw disappointingly little of her on the way round. Still, she can't be written out of contention just yet, especially if it's poor shooting conditions tomorrow. Andrea Henkel on the other hand must be wondering what on earth went wrong. Marie-Laure Brunet likewise. Poor performances write them out of the medal hopes for two events now; though there were no high-profile catastrophes like in the men's, where Alexis Boeuf goes from winning his first WC event in Maine to not even qualifying for the World Championships pursuit. The Russian team's decision to send Svetlana Sleptsova home after her poor show in the mixed relay is a big, big call though.

Berger was 37 seconds slower than Neuner in ''skiing time.'' Need to step it up a notch to have a chance tomorrow I'd say.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Nastyy said:
France will for sure try something. Just like in last years World Cup race. Now Vittoz isn't in his top form so Manificat won't have him helping him. Manificat is at least near his best since he was 6th in the 15km classic and he's far worse in classic. Maybe Harvey is up for the challenge and will go with Manificat. Maybe some others too who have the courage. Guys with any ambition have to try something as no one will beat Northug in the sprint.

I'd definately think Harvey and Manificat will have a go at it. Vylegzhanin as well, he's looked good on the duathlon and the relay. Legkov was terrible yesterday, so I guess he's one that we wont see anything from. What do you think about Jauhojärvi or any of the other Finns, think they'll go for it?

TRENDING THREADS