• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Norwegian wins La Côte Picarde

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
no it's not. cycling is one of the biggest sports in latin america, and in some countries even bigger than football. also in some asian countries and african countries, like iran, eritrea, south africa, morcco, indonesia, malaysia. cycling is very popular

I find this hard to believe but maybe you are right. Do you refer to cycling as a sport or as vehicle for transportation? Of course there are a lot of spectators to races but that's a normal act of curiosity to watch when a race passes by.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
So the news here is... that he's Norwegian? :confused:

Be fair to the OP, it was a race with national U23 teams, not trade teams, so the nationality is not out of place in the thread title...
If someone from Andorra won the U23 world championship, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a "first Andorran U23 world champ" thread.

But, whatever. Small race, small thread...

Nielsa said:
Be fair to the OP, it was a race with national U23 teams, not trade teams, so the nationality is not out of place in the thread title...
If someone from Andorra won the U23 world championship, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a "first Andorran U23 world champ" thread.

But, whatever. Small race, small thread...

The thing is though, Norway does nothing but winning races (I know they don't but you get the point). I don't quite get the thread either and it could definitely have been posted in the 'lesser known race results-thread' which is even on page 1.

DominicDecoco said:
I don't quite get the thread either and it could definitely have been posted in the 'lesser known race results-thread' which is even on page 1.

Every **** related to Schleck, Contador, Evans etc. gets an own thread, why should one of only six Coupe des Nations races not get his own, too?

If there is the will to discuss exciting U23 racing - even better. Sadly, this thread so far is only the same bunch of posters with the same thread-transforming blahblah all other threads in this forum are already full of.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
insideout leadout said:
I find this hard to believe but maybe you are right. Do you refer to cycling as a sport or as vehicle for transportation? Of course there are a lot of spectators to races but that's a normal act of curiosity to watch when a race passes by.

of course it is based on the sport. you may find ti hard to believe but it's the truth. countries like bolivia, guadeloupe, belize, colombia and certain regions of countries like tachira in venezuela it;'s the biggest sport. it's very easy to measure as there are literally thousands of professional cyclists all over the world. way more than tennisplayers for instance

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Herr Katt said:
...And a swede came third. Scandinavians taking over.

Results
Paris-Roubaix Juniors, 119km
1. Mads Würtz Schmidt (Denmark) 3:01:32
2. Anthony Turgis (France)
3. Jon Dibben (Great Britain)
4. Martin Otonicar (Slovenia)
5. Markus Hoelgård (Norway)
6. Joachim Vanreyten (Belgium)
7. Federico Zurlo (Italy)
8. Félix Pouilly (France)
9. Ricardo Van Dongen (Netherlands)
10. Mads Pedersen (Denmark)

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Every **** related to Schleck, Contador, Evans etc. gets an own thread, why should one of only six Coupe des Nations races not get his own, too?

If there is the will to discuss exciting U23 racing - even better. Sadly, this thread so far is only the same bunch of posters with the same thread-transforming blahblah all other threads in this forum are already full of.
It's pretty obvious this thread isn't actually about U23 racing, but about the winner happening to be Norwegian and about lolnationalism.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I just recently got into following U23 racing due to the LEOPARD TREK CT. When I look at the results and read some reports it's obvious that the racing is often unpredictable and much more exciting then many professional races, it reminds me a little bit of college (american) football. Unfortunately it is quite hard to find good information or reports on many of the races ... often you have to rely on twitter, rarely live tickers and all you can do is look up the results in the end. Plus I have to admit I know next to no riders but I'm starting to pick up on some names that keep coming up, like Sean de Bie these last couple of weeks. That makes it less appealing to me ... if anyone has any good sites please share. I personally like directvelo.com (French), they often have tickers, pictures and interviews.

I didn't know this norwegian rider but agree with what some have said earlier he seems a bit "old" for this to be a big deal ... Bob Jungels at 19 years of age much more impressive :cool:

Christian said:
I didn't know this norwegian rider but agree with what some have said earlier he seems a bit "old" for this to be a big deal ... Bob Jungels at 19 years of age much more impressive :cool:

Well, it's not a big deal in the overall cycling world sense. It's only a somewhat bigger than average deal with regards to norwegian cycling.

You could say that it's a thread that is misplaced. It belongs on a norwegian cycling forum rather than the CN forum.

Ryo Hazuki said:
lol, who cares. one thing I notice is how pathetically nationalist norwegians are here......

That's a strange commentary to make on this website which gives a massively inflated weight to all cycling news coming from English speaking countries. To take just one example, look at all the posts dedicated here to Alexi Grewal and compare it the posts dedicated to, say, Rik Verbrugge or even Alex Zulle!!!

It doesn't bother much as I keep coming here to get the news.

Cyclists from (small in number but great in History) Nordic countries are obviously at a disadvantage compared to their opponents from warmer places (just like Kenyans are at a disadvantage when it comes to Alpine skiing) and a little extra pride in the accomplishments of their countrymen on two wheels is understandable.

Ryo Hazuki said:
lol, who cares. one thing I notice is how pathetically nationalist norwegians are here......

That's a strange commentary to make on this website which gives a massively inflated weight to all cycling news coming from English speaking countries. To take just one example, look at all the posts dedicated here to Alexi Grewal and compare it the posts dedicated to, say, Rik Verbrugge or even Alex Zulle!!!

Cyclists from (small in number but great in History) Nordic countries are obviously at a disadvantage compared to their opponents from warmer places (just like Kenyans are at a disadvantage when it comes to Alpine skiing) and a little extra pride in the accomplishments of their countrymen on two wheels is understandable.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Le breton said:

Probably the most nationalistic country and over hyped nation on this forum is Britain.

Like Le Breton, I only really come hear for race news.

If the subject of this thread was about an english speaking cyclist and particularly a Brit, we would have all the Cav and Wigins lovers droning on and on. Even if the Brits are doing nothing we get a lot of inane pointless threads or articles on the main website talking about them. EBH and Thor get ignored unless they win, and even when they dominated the TdF, all we get is Brits on this forum. Likewise as Sagan comes from a small country he gets ignored as well if he does not win.

Nice to see a thread about a rider from one of the small countries