• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Now official: WADA and USADA refuse to Join UCI commission

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Morbius said:
Baroness Tanni, if you please

True. Sorry m'lady

I still remember her as a youngster being interviewed in the aftermath of one of her London Marathon wins close on 20 years ago, and thinking she was a feisty lady - nobodies fool - lots of firm opinions, and not afraid to share them!

She has impressed me ever since.
She will take no nonsense from Pat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:
True. Sorry m'lady

I still remember her as a youngster being interviewed in the aftermath of one of her London Marathon wins close on 20 years ago, and thinking she was a feisty lady - nobodies fool - lots of firm opinions, and not afraid to share them!

She has impressed me ever since.
She will take no nonsense from Pat

Didn't you read the link Carol provided? Your heroine has been taking nonsense from Pat for 6 weeks, when time constraints/ looming deadlines mean time cannot be frittered away. Pathetic, and not very feisty or no-nonsense really Mountainman.

mountainrman

BANNED
Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Grandillusion said:
Didn't you read the link Carol provided? Your heroine has been taking nonsense from Pat for 6 weeks, when time constraints/ looming deadlines mean time cannot be frittered away. Pathetic, and not very feisty or no-nonsense really Mountainman.

The CCN letter? i do not see her hand in that - but clearly the statements made by the commission to UCI to reconsider is certainly not taking Pats Self serving decrees lying down.

I wonder what will happen now Pat has officially refused to budge just appeared in media. I hope the commision threatens to resign.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess that the commission could unilaterally change some of the terms of reference, but they clearly cannot offer "truth and reconciliation" without approval of the governing bodies, which the UCI has said it won't give.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
mountainrman said:
The CCN letter? i do not see her hand in that - but clearly the statements made by the commission to UCI to reconsider is certainly not taking Pats Self serving decrees lying down.

I wonder what will happen now Pat has officially refused to budge just appeared in media. I hope the commision threatens to resign.

The statements made by the commission are grovelling requests, when they should have the power to be making uncompromising demands, with meaningful sanctions for non-compliance. McQuaid is totally taking the **** and Tanni & the gang are doing nothing while the clock keeps ticking.

It's a toothless joke Mountainman, that's why WADA, USADA and CCN are having nothing to do with it.

rickshaw said:
Cycling is now BEING SEEN to be disintegrating. So, what's the problem? They have brought it upon themselves. Crash, burn, maybe rise from the ashes.

Good point and I agree. A sort of "blow the whole thing up & start over from scratch" approach IMO, will only re-inforce serious anti doping tolerance in cycling, sad to say.

The sport itself is wonderful, however the dodgy underbelly and it's cast of characters will remain unless folks are SERIOUS (once and for all) about cleaning it up for good and ridding the sport of these ******bags. Just mo.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
While the excitement is happening on cable, the real action is over here. Wada have made a stinging response to UCI which puts real pressure on the commission.

http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/wada-response-to-uci-press-release-on-independent-commission/

The UCI set up its Independent Commission without any consultation with WADA, or USADA, settled the Commission’s terms of reference, and fixed the timetable for the Commission to report.

After careful review of the terms of reference and the Commission’s proposed work program, WADA reached the conclusion that the UCI was not allowing the Commission to conduct a proper and independent investigation.
This is not the first time that the UCI has acted in this way. In 2005 when an opportunity arose to address an allegation of doping by Armstrong, the UCI commissioned a so-called independent report – the Vrijman Report – which totally failed to address the substance of the allegations against Armstrong.
It is not WADA that initially proposed an amnesty but USADA. USADA, on request from the Independent Commission, drafted a protocol on how this could be achieved. This was submitted by the Independent Commission to the UCI and subsequently rejected by the UCI. WADA was never approached by the UCI to discuss how it could be achieved and only recently received a letter from the UCI counsel indicating that the UCI would not consider it for this Commission, and would only consider taking part in such a process if it was to involve all endurance sport.

In the same letter the UCI indicated that it was not changing the timelines of the Independent Commission. This means that any attempt to adopt a form of amnesty as proposed by USADA would be practically impossible.

The timing for the end of April 2013 seems obviously to be dictated by the UCI electoral calendar and not by any willingness to remedy issues which prevail in the sport of cycling.
Had the UCI approached WADA to discuss such an amnesty then it would have been advised that such a process would be possible to implement with the approval of WADA’s Foundation Board. The President of the UCI was present in his capacity as a then member of the WADA Foundation Board at its meeting in November 2012 and did not raise the issue.
For the UCI to say it knew nothing about the systemic doping in its sport and could do nothing more is precisely what the Independent Commission should be inquiring into, provided all the evidence is made available to it. WADA has no confidence that this will occur.