• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

number of calories

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
i am doing a 100km sportive this weekend. never done one before and would like some advice on the amount of calories to eat before, during and after. i was thinking of beans on toast for breakfast and maybe a bar of chocolate half hour or so before start and then a cereal bar and some sort of energy gel whilst riding. is this enough any advice welcome

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If you can, grab a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight: How To Get Lean For Peak Performance. The book gives you lots of information on diet for racing and what you should eat and when. You need to know how many calories you are likely to burn during this ride and this is dependent on your body weight, how hard you ride, and experience. What to eat and drink, and when to eat and drink, comes down to experience. I don't change my breakfast habits personally, but will want to finish breakfast a couple of hours before the race. During the ride, gels are easy but can result in stomach cramps if you do not drink sufficient liquids as well. I prefer to eat solids on the bike, such as boiled eggs, roasted potatoes, or PBJ sandwiches. A carbohydrate +/- protein drink is good for rides longer than an hour. Afterwards, you want to eat within 2-4 hours, and preferably within an hour, of finishing. You want a meal with a carbohydrate-to-protein ration of approximately 3-4:1. I also like smoothies or chocolate milk, but recovery drinks are OK as well.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
skellster said:
i am doing a 100km sportive this weekend. never done one before and would like some advice on the amount of calories to eat before, during and after. i was thinking of beans on toast for breakfast and maybe a bar of chocolate half hour or so before start and then a cereal bar and some sort of energy gel whilst riding. is this enough any advice welcome

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/article.php?id=61

eat as much as you think you can absorb- no more though, digestion takes energy too
drink lots of water- try not to feel thirst by sipping often
in hot weather drink more but add salts (electrolyte drink)

Don't eat a big meal shortly before the ride. Many suggest eating that meal two hours in advance. I eat a banana just before the start and eat something that is high-calorie and low-fat every hour. Cereal bars are ok in the beginning of the ride, but are hard to eat later on. Then you can eat energy gels.

Take one bottle with water. When you eat food, drink water with it for proper digestion. The other bottle can be filled with a energy drink. I make my own by diluting fruit juice with an equal amount of water. In hot weather, it is a good idea to add a little salt. Basic energy drinks are good too (preferably diluted 1:1).

Different people react differently to different foods and drinks, so you need to find out what works best for you. However, if you don't push yourself to the limit (don't start off too fast!), you can get away with a lot, as long as you remember to eat and drink at regular intervals. Don't wait till you get hungry or thirsty, that is too late!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Too late to ask this question mate.

Rule 1 - don't do anything new before a major event. You risk causing illness or poor performance due to a negative reaction to the changes.

What you CAN do though is - make sure you have a good large feed the night before of foods that you regularly do eat - preferably high carbohydrate content foods such as pasta, potatoes, etc.

Depending on what time the event starts, you may be able to get one or two meals in before heading out. You can do this by getting up slightly earlier in the morning to have a breakfast that is again high carb and low in oils and fats (Soss an egg is not such a good idea)

In the hour prior to the start, its time to start your regular intake of carbs (squeezies, and/or drink based). Continue this through the ride. At least 1 bidon per hour (prefer two) and a squeezie or snack bar per hour.

If you keep the intact contsant then you reduce the possibility of your body panicking in the last 25-40km and will be better able to just ride through it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
By the way - please do try the gels before the ride. Your stomache may not like them.

and after the ride is time to have a nice meal of whatever you like (provided you have a decent amount of protein as part of it)

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Some people think that Food is Life but Nutritious food is very important for those specially who work out. Before you workout you need to eat carbs for energy. I always eat shredded wheat and a banana with a little grapefruit juice before I work out.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
How did you get on?

Anyone got any preferences for gels? I've tried a few different ones now (mainly GO, High 5 and Honey Stings) but am having problems digesting them...I have recently tried some GU Gels from www.energy-gels.co.uk and they didn't seem to give me stomach cramps but wondered if anyone knows of anything better? Also, any thoughts on gels versus chews? I've never tried Shot Blocks but am thinking of it!

Tina

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Most gels make me gag. However I will give a big wormy thumbs up to the SIS range of gels. Can down them without drinking. Which is more than can be said of other gels where it feels like you are trying to swallow a large ball of sweetened snot.

As for energy absorption, your body's rate is pretty much fixed, however you can maximise this by ingesting a mix of fructose and glucose based sugars. The reason why this is better is that the body can absorb X amount of glucose and Y amount of fructose at the same time. Most sports food companies have jumped on this already though best to check.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
skellster said:

Hi there!
All advices are good, i prefer having carbo loading 2 days before event so body can absorb it (pasta, rice, chicken etc), and having a light braekfast but this is me. Most important as you can read from posts is taking regulary eat and drinks do not wait, make a habit to eat an drink while you riding, do not forgot it. Having a rehidration drink whit minerals and salt as isotonic is good, also you can try solid food like sandwiches instead of gels, chocolate bars are good but nasty on hot day, you got that kid look a like. Probably you gonna burn about 3000-4000 calories i guess. Do not let that your body start to eat itself.
Stay well!

I eat over 3500cals each day. Here is a recent photo of me.

I keep my fat intake under 10% of total calories, carbs over 80% of total calories and protein under 10% of total calories. I feast like a king and stay pro lean all year round. I eat 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day. At 65kg thats like 32 bananas or 1kg dry weight rice/oats/pasta/millet/quinoa etc.

On the bike I take in 1g of carbs per kg per hour. So thats like 65g of carbs which is 2 gels or what I prefer is organic medjool dates. They are cheaper and way more nutrient dense with no plastic to throw away. I eat 3-4 dates per hour. This is enough to ride 24hr races or things like PBP where your going for over 48hours. Drink enough water so we are urinating clear and at least every 2 hours. Eat before your hungry, drink before your thirsty. Heck it works for everyone. :)

Zi6_1222.jpg

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
I eat over 3500cals each day. Here is a recent photo of me.

I keep my fat intake under 10% of total calories, carbs over 80% of total calories and protein under 10% of total calories. I feast like a king and stay pro lean all year round. I eat 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day. At 65kg thats like 32 bananas or 1kg dry weight rice/oats/pasta/millet/quinoa etc.

On the bike I take in 1g of carbs per kg per hour. So thats like 65g of carbs which is 2 gels or what I prefer is organic medjool dates. They are cheaper and way more nutrient dense with no plastic to throw away. I eat 3-4 dates per hour. This is enough to ride 24hr races or things like PBP where your going for over 48hours. Drink enough water so we are urinating clear and at least every 2 hours. Eat before your hungry, drink before your thirsty. Heck it works for everyone. :)

Zi6_1222.jpg

Could I have your number if your boyfriend doesn't mind? :D

100km Sportive? I wouldn't get carried away with the eating bit. Unless your stick thin already? I have a mate who is always on at me about how much you're supposed to eat while riding. He normally has his first snack about 10 minutes into the ride, I swear he consumes twice as many calories as he burns. Yep he's fat too. Unless you're racing keep the eating to a minimum.

Durianrider that photo made me laugh ..or was it cry? Ok ok, we all know you've got a superhot girlfriend now! ;-)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
tinacartwright said:
Anyone got any preferences for gels? I've tried a few different ones now (mainly GO, High 5 and Honey Stings) but am having problems digesting them...I have recently tried some GU Gels from www.energy-gels.co.uk and they didn't seem to give me stomach cramps but wondered if anyone knows of anything better? Also, any thoughts on gels versus chews? I've never tried Shot Blocks but am thinking of it!

Tina

I don't like the gels, no problems with digesting them, just don't care for the texture or having sticky hands if any gets on me. If you're having problems wth cramping/digesting - are you drinking plenty of water when you take the gel?

I run, don't ride, so don't know if chews would work as well for that - but have had good results with Powerbar chews. Shot Blocks are the first choice of some of my running buddies (much better runners than I am) - I want to try them, but they're not sold around here and I haven't gotten around to ordering any.

Agree with the poster above who likes the big carb meal two days out.

Going the distance is my specialty be it a century, 24solo race, ultra marathon, cross state or cross continent..

My protocol is this.

*High carb, low fat vegan diet best serves human endurance as it allows for peak glycogen uptake, transfer and delivery. (Flesh foods have no carbs and hinder digestion)

*Fat/protein intake over 10% of total calories inhibits oxygen transfer and delivery.

*Fat/protein intake over 10% of total calories inhibits carb uptake, transfer and delivery. Less efficient carb metabolism robs human health and performance.

* I consume minimum 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day. Even if Im just working on the computer all day..Remember, we are always burning carbs and the brain uses over 20% of your glycogen stores..so keep it topped up all the time for high motivation.

*I ingest 1g of carb per kg of bodyweight per hour when doing events over 2 hours. I eat simple sugars like sweet fruit. I stay away from refined sugars/gels etc as they are more expensive and less nutritious!

*I eat a 1000calorie meal 3 -5 hours before an event lasting over an hour. If the event is short and fast, you need to eat less vs if the even is long and slow and in that case you can be nibbling on the start line..

*Eat before your hungry and drink before your thirsty. We should never bonk/get dehydrated if we are looking after ourselves.

The best book on sports nutrition IMHO is 'nutrition and athletic performance' by Dr Douglas Graham. I find too many books on the subject are subjective and require the athlete starve themselves.

durianrider said:
Going the distance is my specialty be it a century, 24solo race, ultra marathon, cross state or cross continent..

My protocol is this.

*High carb, low fat vegan diet best serves human endurance as it allows for peak glycogen uptake, transfer and delivery. (Flesh foods have no carbs and hinder digestion)

*Fat/protein intake over 10% of total calories inhibits oxygen transfer and delivery.

*Fat/protein intake over 10% of total calories inhibits carb uptake, transfer and delivery. Less efficient carb metabolism robs human health and performance.

* I consume minimum 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day. Even if Im just working on the computer all day..Remember, we are always burning carbs and the brain uses over 20% of your glycogen stores..so keep it topped up all the time for high motivation.

*I ingest 1g of carb per kg of bodyweight per hour when doing events over 2 hours. I eat simple sugars like sweet fruit. I stay away from refined sugars/gels etc as they are more expensive and less nutritious!

*I eat a 1000calorie meal 3 -5 hours before an event lasting over an hour. If the event is short and fast, you need to eat less vs if the even is long and slow and in that case you can be nibbling on the start line..

*Eat before your hungry and drink before your thirsty. We should never bonk/get dehydrated if we are looking after ourselves.

The best book on sports nutrition IMHO is 'nutrition and athletic performance' by Dr Douglas Graham. I find too many books on the subject are subjective and require the athlete starve themselves.

How do you know how many calories and how many grams you are eating? Are you measuring them on a daily basis?

Cos I eat the same stuff each day, each week or each season, I know how much equals what.

Ie I eat bananas and dates as a staple. Doesnt matter if Im in Bangkok, LA, Paris or Sydney as a large banana is around 100cals. A kg of dates is around 3000. So I just count the bananas or blend up a bag/ half bag of dates and Im good.

I guess its like I was out training this morning. My powermetre ran out of batteries so I couldnt tell how far I was going. But I knew the loop cos Ive measured it before. So it didnt matter. I dont have to weigh my food thesedays cos I can tell just by looking at it what it has caloric/carb/fat/protein wise. Sure its a lot of basic math at the start, but thats fine cos it pays off longterm. I can add 20g x10. :)

Lucky for us most food is already in a packet or peel and you can read or feel its weight. I make sure I get in a minimum 3500cals a day from fruits. Regardless of my activity levels. Fruit is my staple carb source. It used to be pasta, millet, kamut, rice etc but I prefer fruit personally. Regardless of our carb choice, it must be a wholefood source (not white flour crap) so we are getting sufficient nutrients with it and we must consume sufficient daily calories from it so we can restock our glycogen levels and keep our immune system strong and motivation for an active positive lifestyle strong.

Call it plant strong if you like. :)

nike003

BANNED
Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

MBT shoes Sport Grey-W , with more training of the neglected muscles, you body will be toned and shaped. These sport shoes can also help lose weight. That is really good news for ladies. While wearing them, your body will be more upright and your lower body will be firmed, which really result in improved posture and gait. It is really simple and great to build a better figure just as walk or stand with them. Versatile shoes indeed!
Type: Sport Shoes
Color: Grey
Upper Material: Genuine nubuck leather
Lining Material: Cotton Fabric
Outsole Material: Rubber
Package: Original packing with box,tags and labels

Mbt shoes Sport White 2-W , with more training of the neglected muscles, you body will be toned and shaped. These sport shoes can also help lose weight. That is really good news for ladies. While wearing them, your body will be more upright and your lower body will be firmed, which really result in improved posture and gait. It is really simple and great to build a better figure just as walk or stand with them. Versatile shoes indeed!
Color: White

MBT shoes Sport white-W, with more training of the neglected muscles, you body will be toned and shaped. These sport shoes can also help lose weight. That is really good news for ladies. While wearing them, your body will be more upright and your lower body will be firmed, which really result in improved posture and gait. It is really simple and great to build a better figure just as walk or stand with them. Versatile shoes indeed!
Color: White

MBT Women Shoes Chapa Blue is the first physiological footwear that has a positive effect on the whole body. Stimulate muscles and strengthen the body in the sporty. Scratch-resistant nubuck and single-layer mesh upper with an adjustable hook-and-loop instep strap for a customized fit. MBT's sneakers are simply styled of smooth, soft, topped off with contrast stitching and two venting ports to expel air as you walk. Unique sole design is intended to mimic the feel of walking barefoot across soft ground, ease back pain and increase muscle activity in lower limbs.
Color: Blue

MBT Women Shoes Chapa Blue & white is the first physiological footwear that has a positive effect on the whole body. Stimulate muscles and strengthen the body in the sporty. Scratch-resistant nubuck and single-layer mesh upper with an adjustable hook-and-loop instep strap for a customized fit. MBT's sneakers are simply styled of smooth, soft, topped off with contrast stitching and two venting ports to expel air as you walk. Unique sole design is intended to mimic the feel of walking barefoot across soft ground, ease back pain and increase muscle activity in lower limbs.
Color: Blue&White

MBT Women Shoes Chapa Dark Gray is the first physiological footwear that has a positive effect on the whole body. Stimulate muscles and strengthen the body in the sporty. Scratch-resistant nubuck and single-layer mesh upper with an adjustable hook-and-loop instep strap for a customized fit. MBT's sneakers are simply styled of smooth, soft, topped off with contrast stitching and two venting ports to expel air as you walk. Unique sole design is intended to mimic the feel of walking barefoot across soft ground, ease back pain and increase muscle activity in lower limbs.
Color: Dark Gray

This MBT Women Shoes Chapa GTX Lace Up Moc Toehave high the efficiency. They are technologically avant-garde to accomplish your walking conditioning added effective. They aftermath a bigger posture, beneath aback pain, beneath abrasion and breach on the joints, and access you fettle walking results. There are also more functions of MBT footwear but need more personal experiencing as their advantages are just from barefoot walking.
Color: Black&Purple

This MBT Women Shoes Chapa GTX Lace Up Moc Toe Blackhave high the efficiency. They are technologically avant-garde to accomplish your walking conditioning added effective. They aftermath a bigger posture, beneath aback pain, beneath abrasion and breach on the joints, and access you fettle walking results. There are also more functions of MBT footwear but need more personal experiencing as their advantages are just from barefoot walking.
Color: Black

This MBT Women Shoes Chapa GTX Lace Up Moc Toe Brown and White have high the efficiency. They are technologically avant-garde to accomplish your walking conditioning added effective. They aftermath a bigger posture, beneath aback pain, beneath abrasion and breach on the joints, and access you fettle walking results. There are also more functions of MBT footwear but need more personal experiencing as their advantages are just from barefoot walking.
Color: Brown&White

This MBT Women Shoes Chapa GTX Lace Up Moc Toe Chocolate have high the efficiency. They are technologically avant-garde to accomplish your walking conditioning added effective. They aftermath a bigger posture, beneath aback pain, beneath abrasion and breach on the joints, and access you fettle walking results. There are also more functions of MBT footwear but need more personal experiencing as their advantages are just from barefoot walking.
Color: Chocolate

TRENDING THREADS