• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nys guys finish first - Thibau, second of his name, Coronation Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Had a feeling he was going to be good, it took a little longer than I thought but definitely has arrived!
Since Hungary he had bad luck: being sick before Norway so not in good shape and a crash during the sprint in Kantons Aargau that still impacted him during the 2nd stage of the TdS. He believes his 6 wins could have been 9-10 if luck was more on his side. I think he is pure gold. His team should give him all the support and make sure he doesn't waste time in CX races. It can be part of his program and this winter maybe still a goal to satisfy his hunger but his ambition to focus on it for longer should be tempered. He is the son of a CX legend but he has nothing to prove in CX anymore (because that what subconsciously is going of course: make his father proud).

Since Hungary he had bad luck: being sick before Norway so not in good shape and a crash during the sprint in Kantons Aargau that still impacted him during the 2nd stage of the TdS. He believes his 6 wins could have been 9-10 if luck was more on his side. I think he is pure gold. His team should give him all the support and make sure he doesn't waste time in CX races. It can be part of his program and this winter maybe still a goal to satisfy his hunger but his ambition to focus on it for longer should be tempered. He is the son of a CX legend but he has nothing to prove in CX anymore (because that what subconsciously is going of course: make his father proud).
He should treat CX the way MvdP, Pidcock and Wout treat CX racing...good training for the road season. Don't race CX from September until February...just swoop in for some racing during the Christmas season (end of November until first of January). Everyone knows now, finally, that you need a little intensity during the winter months. Otherwise, you just get slow if all you do is easy base training.

Lidl-Trek is building a sprint train around Thibau Nys​

https://sporza-be.translate.goog/nl..._sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

It's not what i would be putting my energy in. I think he's doing fine as he's doing now, keep him away from real sprints that need a sprint train, have him go for Alaphilippe style finishes. If he crashes once in a bunch sprint, he might lose more than what he might gain because of it. They are talking about hard stages that don't have the big heavy sprinters like Merlier, Groenewegen... but then he'd just be more of a Pedersen double, and he'd still be coming up against guys like De Lie, Van Aert, Kooij... If races need to be harder than that, then he shouldn't need a sprint train at all.

Last edited:

Lidl-Trek is building a sprint train around Thibau Nys​

https://sporza-be.translate.goog/nl..._sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

It's not what i would be putting my energy in. I think he's doing fine as he's doing now, keep him away from real sprints that need a sprint train, have him go for Alaphilippe style finishes. If he crashes once in a bunch sprint, he might lose more than what he might gain because of it. They are talking about hard stages that doesn't have the big heavy sprinters like Merlier, Groenewegen... but then he'd just be more of a Pedersen double, and he'd still be coming up against guys like De Lie, Van Aert, Kooij... If races need to be harder than that, then he shouldn't need a sprint train at all.
It was a weird article in general. Like you said they want to build a sprint train for him, but then they also compare him with Alaphilippe/Gilbert type of rider.

He is still intending to ride dual road/cross seasons for a while. Article on WF today reiterates this.
Last year he was on fire in early cross races coming of his road season, then struggled as a result of no break. Maybe this year he ends road season a little earlier and makes a later cross start. The lure of winning cross world's must be in his mind. That pesky Dutch guy won't be around for ever.

What's his stance in road world championships? Going for the u23 race?
No idea, but it's gonna be hard to get in the Elite RR imho. Evenepoel, Van Aert, Van Gils... can't see him go as a domestique, and i doubt he's going to survive a 275km RR like the one this year with 4300 vertical meters. So that looks out of the question imho. Haven't heard if he wants to ride the U23 RR, but that is 100k shorter and has 2000 less vertical meters, would suit him to a T.

Reactions: jmdirt
I understand what you are saying, but that dismisses what he wants, even loves, to do.
I wouldn't know why that would be such a big issue. Van Aert and Van der Poel have done WCC RR in the past that follow the Vuelta, and still did a series of CX races. Nys is only planning on doing 22 CX races anyway, so they could come up with a schedule that includes both Vuelta and CX winter. It's not that going to the Vuelta means he will be unable to do what he loves. Just needs a slight change of schedule.

I wouldn't know why that would be such a big issue. Van Aert and Van der Poel have done WCC RR in the past that follow the Vuelta, and still did a series of CX races. Nys is only planning on doing 22 CX races anyway, so they could come up with a schedule that includes both Vuelta and CX winter. It's not that going to the Vuelta means he will be unable to do what he loves. Just needs a slight change of schedule.
Maybe he and his trainers don't feel that he is ready to do a GT yet. Comparing him to WVA or MVDP is useless.

Ok. Here it goes. My opinion is he should listen to himself and his trainers. Now tell me why I'm wrong. 🙄
What if he wants to go but his trainer thinks it's best not? What should he do then? Call you?
You have your opinion, and that's fine. I have mine. And that's fine too.

He's 21, he's shown in hard CX races that he has enough "body" to endure hard races, he's won multiple WT races already against elite contenders outside "the big 6". There is no problem in sending him to the Vuelta, he won't ride for GC, he can pick his days, and when he feels he's going to burn himself, he can step out. There are literally no downsides except possibly making some schedule changes in his early CX season.

What if he wants to go but his trainer thinks it's best not? What should he do then? Call you?

He's 21, he's shown in hard CX races that he has enough "body" to endure hard races, he's won multiple WT races already against elite contenders outside "the big 6". There is no problem in sending him to the Vuelta, he won't ride for GC, he can pick his days, and when he feels he's going to burn himself, he can step out. There are literally no downsides except possibly making some schedule changes in his early CX season.
Have a chat with him anf hid trainer, express your opinion and present your logic for them.

There’s a schedule issue. When they say he wants to do 22 CX races they don’t mean at the end of the season or starting in November. They want to start in the beginning and take a break in the middle of the CX season like they did last year. Because next road season they want to participate in the hill classics.