• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

OCLAESP raid in France

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
L'arriviste said:
If it's anything like Oktos-Cofidis (the lovely cathedral town of St Quentin - a bit off the beaten track too) - and this is pure conjecture, of course - the action could centre on an amateur-feeder club (of which there are one or two main ones in that region, I think) that supplies up through the pros.

Just as a gut feeling it seems very unlikely to me that major teams based in the South are running a team doping programme out of Caen. If they had such a programme, there are surely more convenient places for them to be operating it.

But the coverage so far suggests both amateur and professional cyclists. So perhaps its an element of the local amateur scene combined with a pro or two who lives in the region?

I suppose we'll find out in the near future.

flicker said:
Brits' don't dope."and Charlie don't surf"

As we're all aware Brits have been caught doping the same as riders from just about every country.

But I wouldn't have thought that England was the obvious place to be importing PEDs into France from. There are a whole lot of open land borders with other Schengen Agreement countries and smuggling of recreational drugs tends to be centred on Southern ports. If they need to smuggle PEDs into France, there are presumably more reliable ways than from England, where there are actual customs posts to pass.

Again though, I accept that this is just speculation.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
Caen not a million milles from Roubaix-Lille - Mickael Larpe ring a bell?

You might have hit the proverbial nail on the head with that one. ;)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I would guess peds move from eastern bloc,to germany or holland and then elseware or through spain and by sea to france. elseware(france , britan)

Of course I would watch the heroin pipelines from ****stan,iran and the cocaine pipelines from south america patterns show to track ped distribution. Afrika, Nigeria in particular have loose customs or bribary to facilitate smuggling.

It is hard to fathom why people would want to wrap their lives around PED distribution, I imagine the people are involved in other types of criminal activity also. I would imagine it is all encompassed with organized crime.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I would guess peds move from eastern bloc,to germany or holland and then elseware or through spain and by sea to france. elseware(france , britan)

Of course I would watch the heroin pipelines from ****stan,iran and the cocaine pipelines from south america patterns show to track ped distribution. Afrika, Nigeria in particular have loose customs or bribary to facilitate smuggling.

It is hard to fathom why people would want to wrap their lives around PED distribution, I imagine the people are involved in other types of criminal activity also. I would imagine it is all encompassed with organized crime.

or else they are a bunch of noname bozos, once again small fish to complete the "caught quota"

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Caen looks to be about ten miles from the coast, so it would be convenient for smuggling things into the country.

Most of the PEDs (all?) are legit medical drugs.

No need to smuggle. No need for submarines and life rafts and frogmen.

Just get a fake prescription:

ESPN said:
"Larpe also reportedly has been issued the preliminary charges for allegedly writing fake medical prescriptions and using and selling banned substances."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=5570933

flicker said:
It is hard to fathom why people would want to wrap their lives around PED distribution,
Money.

flicker said:
I imagine the people are involved in other types of criminal activity also. I would imagine it is all encompassed with organized crime.

Not necessarily. PED's are small-time compared to the 'recreational drugs' people want. Supply is quite difficult compared to paying some poor farmers somewhere to grow the makings of recreational drugs. The PED users don't have the same political access that some social classes of recreational drug users have either. If you are after lots of money and power, PED distribution isn't it.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Most of the PEDs (all?) are legit medical drugs.

No need to smuggle. No need for submarines and life rafts and frogmen.

Just get a fake prescription:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=5570933

They aren't necessarily legal in France, or allowed to be imported. And if individuals were using fake prescriptions to get the stuff from pharmacies, I don't know that this thread would exist. There could also be drugs that aren't approved yet. And it's not just the pharmaceuticals, it could be illegal syringes and things like they found in
Astana's trash last year.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
or else they are a bunch of noname bozos, once again small fish to complete the "caught quota"

This is a French police force, and they're not so much about catching the end user as they are breaking up doping rings that supply to a number of sports.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
They aren't necessarily legal in France, or allowed to be imported. And if individuals were using fake prescriptions to get the stuff from pharmacies, I don't know that this thread would exist. There could also be drugs that aren't approved yet. And it's not just the pharmaceuticals, it could be illegal syringes and things like they found in
Astana's trash last year.

Those "illegal syringes" ARE allowed to be used in French hospitals FCOL.
And EPO is available to be used by French patients too.

Heck, HGH is Made in France by Eli Lilly.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the Normandy locale has everyone guessing.

I know if I was bringing dope in I'd just use my home address. I'd also include mobile numbers, banking information, a photocopy of my passport, and maybe a nice clear thumbprint just to make sure...

It's not where it is, it's where it's going.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Those "illegal syringes" ARE allowed to be used in French hospitals FCOL.
And EPO is available to be used by French patients too.

Heck, HGH is Made in France by Eli Lilly.

Bogus sporting doctors with fictional cancer patients eh? The usual suspects.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
A French police official tells The Associated Press that several professional and amateur cyclists have been arrested as part of a probe into the trafficking of doping products.

The official, who requested anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, says the riders were in custody Wednesday after arrests the previous day. No names of the riders have been released, though the operation has been focused on an alleged ring in Normandy.
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=Am32IG_j3A3eBCTYwao10E9.grcF?slug=ap-france-dopingprobe

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Bogus sporting doctors with fictional cancer patients eh? The usual suspects.

Yep.

And if I were an Special Agent Investigator, I would MUCH rather chase after PED Dealers and NOT the Narcotic Dealers.

I am a wussy lol. Do not want to get shot at, or beheaded yikes.

Being slapped around by some shaven legged cyclists would not be too bad...

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
This is a French police force, and they're not so much about catching the end user as they are breaking up doping rings that supply to a number of sports.

It is a branch of the French Police...OCLASEP translates to:

"The French Central Office for the Fight Against Environmental Damage"

Sounds like Greenpeace. Hopefully, they do not carry guns...

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Yep.

And if I were an Special Agent Investigator, I would MUCH rather chase after PED Dealers and NOT the Narcotic Dealers.

I am a wussy lol. Do not want to get shot at, or beheaded yikes.

Being slapped around by some shaven legged cyclists would not be too bad...

What I always enjoy about Professional Road Cycling it is a combination of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, a Carl Hiassan novel, the film Gomorah and the Pink Panther. Always a doper, some environmentalisim, a little Naples mafioso, and of course Professor Cluesaue.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
It is a branch of the French Police...OCLASEP translates to:

"The French Central Office for the Fight Against Environmental Damage"

Sounds like Greenpeace. Hopefully, they do not carry guns...
Yes, I know what it means, and who they are, and I can't imagine police going on raids without weapons. They kicked in a few doors last year. Please stop trying to correct me for no reason. I found the story before it was in English, started the thread and added additional links with more info. That should mean a little something. But I don't get notified about replies, and I'm suddenly tired of the thread, so...

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I would not be surprised if these guys were involved.

http://www.bretagne-schuller.fr/

Edit: Not sure if that team is involved but it does appear that not all the people caught were French and it was not the normal stuff. I may have more info tomorrow morning

If they advertise that you can 'ride like a pro for 1950 euro', that might be a little suspect. I'm sure the big guys' programs cost a whole lot more than that...

TRENDING THREADS