• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Offenberg Workd Cup: May 22-23

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
There doesnt seem to be much World Cup mtb talk around here, but I decided to get an Offenberg thread going anyway.

Profile/map
4f767c8aa0.jpg

The course seems reasonably hilly.
Who will win?
Can Willow keep her women's leader's jersey?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
She's impressed the hell outta me this year! It'd be cool if she held on to the the jersey for sure.

That course profile does look brutal so I'd expect one of the climbers to blow the pack apart on the first lap and then just string it out for the rest of the race...

If she holds on during that first lap then she's in with a chance I think. She has shown great consistency so far, although it's a bit hard to talk consistency just two races in.

There's actually a bit of a North American resurgence going this year in the Women's World Cup...very cool to see. Gould, Batty, Mary Mc, all seem to be riding strong this year.

Now, what about the men's side? Kabush is supposed to just rock it this year...at least that's what I read somewhere at the beginning of the year. Todd Wells has a couple of nice races so far this year. And I have to admit it's been a bit nice to see some other dudes winning this year...no offense to Absalon but he dominated for so long it really had just become a race for the second step. Does not appear that way this year. Although he did flat at Houffalize...

Mar 17, 2009
web.mac.com
Offenburg

Katie Compton will be starting in Offenburg as she begins her start to the MTB season. Unfortunately Katie and Sabine Spitz who is also making a late start to the season will be starting on the last row.

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Katie will not be starting last row as she has 286 UCI points nor will Sabine. Yes there is World Cup ranking which will hurt her start a bit but nothing she can't handle, if her legs pull through.

Kiwivelo said:
Katie Compton will be starting in Offenburg as she begins her start to the MTB season. Unfortunately Katie and Sabine Spitz who is also making a late start to the season will be starting on the last row.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I reckon Absalon for the win, his recent Heubach Bundesligia performance was good beating a few other WC racers. Anyone but a Specialized team rider, I'll never forgive them for using 29ers at the start of the season.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
--oisin-- said:
I reckon Absalon for the win, his recent Heubach Bundesligia performance was good beating a few other WC racers. Anyone but a Specialized team rider, I'll never forgive them for using 29ers at the start of the season.

Why is that?

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
From Nino Schurter...
"I know 29ers are popular in the US, but I don’t think it's a big thing," he said. "I tried it once. It might be an advantage on a soft course without too many corners, but the rotating weight is more for the wheels, so when you are pedaling up to speed out of a corner, you notice it. For most technical cross country courses we have now, we don't need one."

Ha ok I'm not serious about 'never forgiving' the riders, Sauser is one of my favourite WC riders but I wouldn't be upset if the UCI banned 29ers from XC races. Keep everyone on the same (kinda) type of bike, keep the courses technical. I wouldn't like to see every race course looking like Sea Otter boring.
Maybe I just don't get them?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
--oisin-- said:

29'ers are coming on strong. Although I dont think they will be ideal for such a hilly course.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BrandonT said:
29'ers are coming on strong. Although I dont think they will be ideal for such a hilly course.

Niners been "coming on strong" for what, three or four years now? While they have their advantages in some circumstances I don't think on most courses they are the best tool.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
FWIW I think it boils down to personal preference. I have both, like both, am in a current "love affair" with my singlespeed 29er, which is unhealthy to say the least. But, ultimately at my level, I see no real benefits...now, let me get my hands on a GF Super Fly 100, and...well it'd probably be the same result :D but it would be REALLY fun!

Back to the OPs original topic, the North American women did fantastic this weekend, and Kabush seemed pleased with his result. Absalon dominated...the guy's a machine:D

TRENDING THREADS