• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would like to see UAE tear things up at the Cipressa to make the race as tough as possible. You can attack 4 times on the Poggio but if the race has been too easy before that it just isn't enough to really drop enough of the fast guys. It happens too often that they just wait for the Poggio imo
They did last year. Cipressa was super fast. Then everyone gets to recover on the flat section in between and it doesn't really matter.

You can pace Cipressa super hard, it's still 4% and it's still 10 minutes way under 6W/kg to chill in the wheels probably.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
They did last year. Cipressa was super fast. Then everyone gets to recover on the flat section in between and it doesn't really matter.

You can pace Cipressa super hard, it's still 4% and it's still 10 minutes way under 6W/kg to chill in the wheels probably.

Did they really? I can't remember they went full gas on the Cipressa but it's possible I just forgot. Maybe now they have Wellens in great shape they can do some real damage (if he is riding MSR).

• Wow
It would lose the Monument status and be called something like Alassio - Sanremo.
Why not just do a formula 1 style grid start from the bottom of the Poggio, with the order base on the betting odds that are always reported before the race???

Sanremo is one of the best races of the year and shouldn't be changed. If you don't enjoy Sanremo you are no a cycling fan

I would like to see UAE tear things up at the Cipressa to make the race as tough as possible. You can attack 4 times on the Poggio but if the race has been too easy before that it just isn't enough to really drop enough of the fast guys. It happens too often that they just wait for the Poggio imo
The recent editions have rather showed the opposite. Keep the powder dry for a super fast paced first half of Poggio and a decisive selection will be made.

They were super slow on Cipressa in both 2019 and 2020.

The recent editions have rather showed the opposite. Keep the powder dry for a super fast paced first half of Poggio and a decisive selection will be made.

They were super slow on Cipressa in both 2019 and 2020.

Making a selection is one thing but I think if Pogacar wants to drop/beat guys like WVA and MVDP at MSR then he will have a better chance if the race has been more selective before the Poggio. If they all have fresh legs for the Poggio then I don't think that will be enough for Pog

They could also add another 100 or 200 km and make it a super monument. Or they could split the riders into start groups based on their expected levels, so that Pogi and Co. would start 50 km after Chris Froome.
Col de la Couillole:
43'50 min, Chris Froome, 2022
43'52 min, Tadej Pogacar, 2023

And Froome still had to do Valberg right after. It's clear he smokes Pogacar.

Making a selection is one thing but I think if Pogacar wants to drop/beat guys like WVA and MVDP at MSR then he will have a better chance if the race has been more selective before the Poggio. If they all have fresh legs for the Poggio then I don't think that will be enough for Pog
That was what we saw last year. It made Poggio more tactical and stop and go with no one to set a hard pace. Mind you, Pogi rode it really poorly, attacking when they turned in to a headwind, rather than on the tailwind sections.

That was what we saw last year. It made Poggio more tactical and stop and go with no one to set a hard pace. Mind you, Pogi rode it really poorly, attacking when they turned in to a headwind, rather than on the tailwind sections.
Dropping domestiques is the only merit of drilling Cipressa.

I also think to support a guy like Van Aert you really shouldn't bring a rouleur heavy team, but a team that's perfect for controlling the Poggio. I think rouleur heavy squads have made the Poggio pace rather soft over the years.

Maybe we could have an MSR thread to discuss this.

Done:

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
Why not just do a formula 1 style grid start from the bottom of the Poggio, with the order base on the betting odds that are always reported before the race???

Sanremo is one of the best races of the year and shouldn't be changed. If you don't enjoy Sanremo you are no a cycling fan

I enjoy the last 50 km. The rest, well, it's tradition, which is important in cycling. If it weren't for "tradition" MSR obviously wouldn't be a monument. Can you imagine launching MSR today? "Hey guys, I've got a great idea for a new race: It will be 300 km long. Let's find the flattest roads in central Italy. We'll start from Milan, head due south to Genoa, then follow the coast --again, think "flat." We'll hit a couple of capos, then after 275 km, maybe 2 smallish hills -- but we'll leave a flat run in so no one's left behind. What do you think?"

Eh, I'm OK with it. As a monument MSR always gets the best field, so inherently worth watching.