• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official: AFLD to retest 2008 samples in September

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
They'll be subjected to the new EPO test that's been in use since early April (notice the vast increase in the number of positives since then).

The analysis will mainly focus on the number of samples deemed very suspicious of CERA use that did not test positive using the weak testing methods at the time (the ones that caught Piepoli, Kohl and Schumacher)

EDIT: should've been clearer. 2008 Tour de France samples only

It would be more interesting if the 2007 TdF samples were tested.

Does the new April test detect bio-similar EPOs? I thought that someone mentioned on DPF that there was a new standard that allows a wide range of EPOs to be detected rather than very specific versions of EPO.

With both the 2008 TdF and Giro samples being retested, there are two swords of Damocles hanging over the sport. Of course, even if a few stars fall, Pat McQuaid will be there to tell us all that the bio passport now has the problem under control and no one could possibly dope now.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It would be more interesting if the 2007 TdF samples were tested.

Does the new April test detect bio-similar EPOs? I thought that someone mentioned on DPF that there was a new standard that allows a wide range of EPOs to be detected rather than very specific versions of EPO.

With both the 2008 TdF and Giro samples being retested, there are two swords of Damocles hanging over the sport. Of course, even if a few stars fall, Pat McQuaid will be there to tell us all that the bio passport now has the problem under control and no one could possibly dope now.

Bro - are the 2008 Giro samples being retested?
Does anyone know did the UCI ever change the retro testing issue that was brought up in the Vrijman report? Have far can they go back?

Dr. Maserati said:
Bro - are the 2008 Giro samples being retested?
Does anyone know did the UCI ever change the retro testing issue that was brought up in the Vrijman report? Have far can they go back?

"Zomegnan also revealed that Italian police have seized samples taken during the 2008 Giro to test them for CERA. With a worried look on his face, Zomegnan accepted that there could be other positives."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/345070/giro-d-italia-news-round-up.html

Testing should have been completed by now, so it makes you wonder what is going on. You would think something would have leaked if the testing caught any big fish.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If Contador doesn't get busted for the 2008 Giro then either a) they are protecting him and sweeping it under the carpet; b) he was on something they didn't have a test for; and c) he was clean all along.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If Contador doesn't get busted for the 2008 Giro then either a) they are protecting him and sweeping it under the carpet; b) he was on something they didn't have a test for; and c) he was clean all along.
I think the chances for the three outcomes are: 33%, 66%, 1%

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Nice little update. They are re-testing 15 people out of last year's top 20 for CERA

Amongst them is Cadel Evans, confirmed by Redant.

Bordry informed the riders before the TdF in Monaco about their decision, and asked permission to "split B samples" up into new "A and B samples". He never revealed which riders were involved, but said that they had been 'discovered' based on sources such as 'tips' (anonymous Omerta cracking?) and other signals (blood passport?).

2008 top 20

1 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 87.52.52
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0.58
3 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) Gerolsteiner 1.13
4 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 2.10
5 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Team Garmin-Chipotle p/b H30 3.05
6 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 4.28
7 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 6.25
8 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia 6.55
9 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 7.12
10 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale 9.05
11 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale 9.55
12 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team CSC - Saxo Bank 11.32
13 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 12.59
14 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux 19.23
15 Amaël Moinard (Fra) Cofidis - Le Crédit par Téléphone 23.31
16 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 23.40
17 Kanstantsin Siutsou (Blr) Team Columbia 24.55
18 Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) Crédit Agricole 27.11
19 Dmitriy Fofonov (Kaz) Crédit Agricole 28.31
20 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 28.33

5 riders (Valverde, Valjavec, Siutsou, Samuel Sanchez, Fofonov) did not participate this year.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
We can rule out Kohl and Fofonov due to their positives, I think.

I'd also rule out Möinard, given he was the guy who last year at the start of the season was overjoyed constantly telling the media that the biological passport was obviously working because he and his teammates could finally attack instead of just getting dropped by the now much slower peloton.

I'm curious to see how many more positives we see not only from CERA, but from Dynepo if they're going to try to isolate, and reveal that. Or perhaps better put, how many samples they believe contain Dynepo, and what, if anything, they'll do about it.

As to Contador's "off the beach" performance to win the Giro, I think Cobblestones pretty much hit it.

So, if Contador and the Schlecks both come up positive in this retro test, what's that mean for this year's Tour? :eek:

Alpe d'Huez said:
So, if Contador and the Schlecks both come up positive in this retro test, what's that mean for this year's Tour? :eek:

They made a mistake back then, but they just tried it and stopped afterwards because it didn't do anything, they have high dynepo in their blood naturally and the 2009 one was ridden clean, honest!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
LargusMeans said:
Contador wasn't in last years tour, so his sample won't be there to even be tested. Its the Schlecks that will be worrying.

He means 2008 Giro samples are also being tested. In fact they were sent to the Châtenay-Malabry lab 2 months ago and we're still to hear any results

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm curious to see how many more positives we see not only from CERA, but from Dynepo if they're going to try to isolate, and reveal that. Or perhaps better put, how many samples they believe contain Dynepo, and what, if anything, they'll do about it.

As to Contador's "off the beach" performance to win the Giro, I think Cobblestones pretty much hit it.

To quote Riccaro Ricco: "Yeah the beach in Madrid". I think Ricco then nicknamed Contador "the lifeguard".

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think they changed the article I quoted slightly. Before they talked about 15 riders from last year's top 20. Now they pulled that from the article, but added that Menchov (#3) and Laurens ten Dam (#22) were asked for permission to retest and split the samples. Both granted permission.

Since Bordry mentioned that they had decided to retest last year's samples based on 'suspicion, tips, other signals', could that mean that Kohl's information is used?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Since Bordry mentioned that they had decided to retest last year's samples based on 'suspicion, tips, other signals', could that mean that Kohl's information is used?

Yes, obviously must the bit where he said 'they're all doing it' ;-)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
Yes, obviously must the bit where he said 'they're all doing it' ;-)

haha, yes that must have woken them up at UCI/AFLD...:D

But on a more serious note, I was just wondering if it could be an indication that Kohl might have mentioned names, more details...

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Contador last year used his own blood, I doubt he could have used CERA, maybe only the small fish of Bruyneel's boys are using cheap EPO program because they are less tested.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
*grabs popcorn*

so we're going to have to wait until the season is over for the results. oki doki then

restesting in sept and oct... don't eat to much popcorn in the meanwhile, might add a couple of pounds too many to your ideal racing weight ;)

craig1985 said:
To quote Riccaro Ricco: "Yeah the beach in Madrid". I think Ricco then nicknamed Contador "the lifeguard".
The Lifeguard! Ha! I like it. Let's use it!

issoisso said:
So, we're going to have to wait until the season is over for the results. oki doki then
I know, it's somewhat embarrassing, and a shame isn't it. We watch a race, then a few months later know who actually won. Probably. :(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
restesting in sept and oct... don't eat to much popcorn in the meanwhile, might add a couple of pounds too many to your ideal racing weight ;)

I'll keep that in mind ;)

Alpe d'Huez said:
I know, it's somewhat embarrassing, and a shame isn't it. We watch a race, then a few months later know who actually won. Probably. :(

Wait for the re-re-re-testing in 2015 :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Obviously, before retesting, they already do some testing, and Bordry is a little pessimistic about the 'cleanliness' of this year's Tour.

Er sagt: "Es ist wahrscheinlich, dass es wieder Bluttransfusionen gab."

and for the realists on the forum, who'd already guessed it:

[Bordry]"Wir sind der Überzeugung, dass bei dieser Tour zwei Medikamente benutzt wurden, die noch gar nicht auf dem Markt sind."

[SZ]Dem Vernehmen nach soll es sich aber zum einen um Hematide handeln, ein Epo-Imitat, das wohl erst 2011 bei Blutarmut verschrieben werden darf; zum anderen um synthetisches Aircar, das im Muskel die Kraftwerke vermehrt und Fett verbrennt. Für diese Mittel will das Pariser Labor in Châtenay-Malabry offenbar spätestens im Herbst einen Test erstellt haben

According to Bordry they have already found some substances like insulin in trash cans.

Nach Informationen der französischen Zeitung Le Monde und der SZ haben die AFLD-Beobachter in Mülleimern einiger Teams diverse verbotene Substanzen gefunden. Bordry bestätigt: "Wir haben einige schwere Medikamente gefunden, etwa eine Substanz, die Insulin produziert und normalerweise bei Diabetes genommen wird."

Re blood doping in general and Fuentes in particular. A little disheartening, according to the SZ as well, but not very strange given the man's knack for working with athletes, instead of vaginas:

Nicht nur, weil Fuentes weiter im Verborgenen praktizieren soll, zuletzt angeblich auch in Portugal und Osteuropa, ist davon auszugehen, dass die verbotene Masche unverändert verbreitet ist

He is also a man of hope:

Bordry verkündete zuletzt: "Für Blutdoping dürfte es schon bald einen Test geben."