• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Cervélo Thread

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Official Cervélo Thread

Perhaps we can consolidate all the bike related info per bike brand. It makes the forum a lot easier to navigate, so just to start it off...

Could these be the new paint jobs for the 2010 Cervélos? I found them on another forum. The cranks in the first image and the wheels in the second are not the official CTT suppliers, so I don't know if it is a hoax or not. On the other hand, some of the retail bikes come specced with Fulcrum and Dura Ace, right?

The R3
2wly34p.jpg

and

R3SL
2s93c0p.jpg

What do you guys think about the paint jobs. I am not too impressed...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ha, interesting. Posters on the Cervelo forum are complaining that these photos were removed by the forum moderators. Presumably proprietary and that someone leaked these before the official release. If this is the case, then I would believe these are true photos of the 2010 paint jobs for the R3 and R3-SL. I'm with you, nowhere near as good as the current or previous paint jobs.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. The red and whites really jumped out at you when you went into a bike shop. These don't look as sharp. I could get used to R3SL, though, but it doesn't scream Cervelo...

Bala Verde said:
Perhaps we can consolidate all the bike related info per bike brand. It makes the forum a lot easier to navigate, so just to start it off...

Could these be the new paint jobs for the 2010 Cervélos? I found them on another forum. The cranks in the first image and the wheels in the second are not the official CTT suppliers, so I don't know if it is a hoax or not. On the other hand, some of the retail bikes come specced with Fulcrum and Dura Ace, right?

The R3
2wly34p.jpg

and

R3SL
2s93c0p.jpg

What do you guys think about the paint jobs. I am not too impressed...

Wow, a frame painted black, white and red, how unusual!

All they are Cracked up to be

One of my riding buddies has been a Cervelo R3 for a few years. It developed a crack in the top tube towards the seat tube. He is the original owner, bought the bike at a authorized dealer etc... The bike was never crashed and does not even have a scratch on it. When he brought it back for warrantee, he was told that the best they could do was replacement frame just above dealer cost!!! This is for a frame with a lifetime warrantee. They would not admit that it was a manufacturing defect and said that it is at their discretion (which it is under the terms of the warrantee), they also would not say what they thought was the cause. End of story. He now rides a Scott and is forever soured by Cervelo. I think that this really poor service and they are not standing behind their product at all. All they have to do is say that it any issue is not their fault and that is that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
One of my riding buddies has been a Cervelo R3 for a few years. It developed a crack in the top tube towards the seat tube. He is the original owner, bought the bike at a authorized dealer etc... The bike was never crashed and does not even have a scratch on it. When he brought it back for warrantee, he was told that the best they could do was replacement frame just above dealer cost!!! This is for a frame with a lifetime warrantee. They would not admit that it was a manufacturing defect and said that it is at their discretion (which it is under the terms of the warrantee), they also would not say what they thought was the cause. End of story. He now rides a Scott and is forever soured by Cervelo. I think that this really poor service and they are not standing behind their product at all. All they have to do is say that it any issue is not their fault and that is that.

Poor form. Did Cervelo or the LBS give him this news? If the latter, I would go directly to Cervelo. If Cervelo, I would threaten to jump up and down about how they do not honour their lifetime warranty. Post it on the Cervelo forum. Post it again here on a separate thread. The more noise created, the more likely they are going to honour their lifetime warranty. According to the Cervelo forum, this is a common defect with the R3 (or at least cracking somewhere along the frame).

elapid said:
Poor form. Did Cervelo or the LBS give him this news? If the latter, I would go directly to Cervelo. If Cervelo, I would threaten to jump up and down about how they do not honour their lifetime warranty. Post it on the Cervelo forum. Post it again here on a separate thread. The more noise created, the more likely they are going to honour their lifetime warranty. According to the Cervelo forum, this is a common defect with the R3 (or at least cracking somewhere along the frame).

It was Cervelo that told him tough luck! Very unimpressive and especially since we are Canadian and this is a Canadian company.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
well, that certainly argues towards getting a cervelo from a non-authorized dealer...at a cheaper price. I have been riding a cervelo for a few years; but the look is very uninspiring; I have a few issues with the seatpost slipping and toe overlap

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it applies in the case of Cervelo, but...

It seems like some companies offer a 'lifetime' warrantee which isn't so much of a statement about the durability of their product as it is reinforcement for the wishful thinking of the customer, i.e. a 'hook' used to make the sale.
If you have to read the fine print to learn that there are many exclusions, exceptions and loopholes, maybe the warrantee is worth little more than the paper upon which it is printed.
On the other hand, a company's reputation should be built upon 1) the quality of it's products and 2) the satisfaction of it's customers. When either of these two pillars is weakened, the company is weakened. Sales suffer, the company goes out of business and... warrantees are worthless!

Ever heard of
"United Breaks Guitars"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Black Dog said:

Update: Cervelo is coming around and said that they will examine the frame and provide a replacement. Very apologetic and claim the whole thing was a bad misunderstanding. I guess we should not judge them by their mistakes but by how they deal with them.

TRENDING THREADS