• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I do feel u don't exactly agree with me ;)

No problem Chris. In a Big Brother society it must be possible to take out the bad apples in sport medicine.

No, in a sane society people would realize there are all types of reasons to cheat or allow cheating, and it can only be contained and not eradicated. Protecting the accused and being wary of power and knowing limits of what is reasonable sometimes get lost in this hypothetical cesspool. Sometimes that means somebody cheating wins. So be it.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:
No, in a sane society people would realize there are all types of reasons to cheat or allow cheating, and it can only be contained and not eradicated. Protecting the accused and being wary of power and knowing limits of what is reasonable sometimes get lost in this hypothetical cesspool. Sometimes that means somebody cheating wins. So be it.

Hopefully you mean more than that...like "in an egalitarian society there are rules, and although cheaters, liars and deviants will test the system that society outlines the rules will prevail. Once rules are broken the 'cheaters' will be punished to the extent of those rules."

A little different than...'Sometimes that means somebody cheating wins. So be it.'

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
This might be the stupidest remark I have ever read. I will close my statement with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8

That is my philosophy dear zweistein. Live and let live, forgive.

Sorry to take the Lance thread into a different level, me hippie.

Do you think Greg is able to forgive? Just guessing how he speaks of Landis nowadays I guess he is, are you?Your anger is clouding your judgement. You don t even see how society itself wanted heroes like Armstrong.

Sorry for the interuption in this thread, I have said all I wanted to say on the dopester Lanceboy. Yes he doped, and was/is not a nice man but 95% of the public loved him. How come? Simple mathematics.Armstrong/Ricco/Pantani: scapegoats.

Kim Kardashian's attention by the media and public outstrips LA's at his peak. That's not a societal indictment but you use the phrase like it's an entity controlled by someone. That's too simple.

As for any of these riders being "scapegoats"...they got caught; Ricco and Pantani when it was only the idiot riders being discovered. Tifosi loved Pantani but that doesn't declare all Italians as fans any more than most Americans revered Armstrong. He cultivated an image and courted the press effectively.
Not everyone believed it, fortunately.

Ninety5rpm said:
LOL!!!

For non-users of Strava, if you suspect a ride as being illegitimate (usually because someone used a motor vehicle instead of a bike), you can "flag" a ride to have Strava check it out.

Thereby temporarily removing it from the results... possibly permanently after review.

There are three basic categories (Driven in a car...), but a fourth is called for:

4. Rider is a known doper.

Actually, since I know someone who did this, a fifth is also called for:

5. Ridden in an airplane.

Both might apply to Lance's level of cheating.

Dave.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Triathlon will get it's wish. More wonderboy in a Speedo

They were made for each other

I just lurked over at Slowditch, and the tide seems to have turned. Still, people like Dan will embrace Wonderboy because people who stand to gain financially will always embrace a cash cow, but at least the rank and file are starting to smell the coffee it seems.

Are tri's going rogue just so they can get Lance to participate?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I just lurked over at Slowditch, and the tide seems to have turned. Still, people like Dan will embrace Wonderboy because people who stand to gain financially will always embrace a cash cow, but at least the rank and file are starting to smell the coffee it seems.

Are tri's going rogue just so they can get Lance to participate?

No, he will get some gullible fool to finance some unsanctioned races. People will complain, not enter, but he will claim that thousands were there.

It will be a ******bag convention. Any product that wants to target sports most gullible market should jump to sponsor it

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
No, he will get some gullible fool to finance some unsanctioned races. People will complain, not enter, but he will claim that thousands were there.

It will be a ******bag convention. Any product that wants to target sports most gullible market should jump to sponsor it

...or a cancer awareness foundation...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Did anyone really think that his ego could deal with quietly fading into the background?

Tri can have him...he is narcissistic beyond words...let him speedo his heart out.
Ugh.

I totally agree. But, Wonderboy is a car accident at the side of the road. You almost have to look.

What will the scam be? $1 million USD for "XYZ awareness" while he collects three? It's going to be Baghdad Bob epic in it's ridiculousness and like every other scam dividing and conquering tri tainting the entire discipline.

My wild guess is the creeps behind the Leadville mtb-lite race will put the money up for this next scam.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I totally agree. But, Wonderboy is a car accident at the side of the road. You almost have to look.

What will the scam be? $1 million USD for "XYZ awareness" while he collects three? It's going to be Baghdad Bob epic in it's ridiculousness and like every other scam dividing and conquering tri tainting the entire discipline.

My wild guess is the creeps behind the Leadville mtb-lite race will put the money up for this next scam.

I feel that when it comes to the crunch, most tri guys will see that Armstrong damaged cycling and they will not want him to do something similar to tri.

The Armstrong story is not over yet with Sunday Time knocking, SCA too and the Qui Tam case all ahead of him.

I dont imagine he has tempered his personality so will not make too many friends in tri.

He make get a tri race or 2 but they will turn out to be full of the people he spends his time avoiding.

Benotti69 said:
I feel that when it comes to the crunch, most tri guys will see that Armstrong damaged cycling and they will not want him to do something similar to tri.

That's not the point. The point is to monetize/profit from an appearance. Whatever goodwill/legitimacy may exist for triathlon means nothing.

As long as Wonderboy, Wiesel, promoter XYZ make money. That means paying the other talented triathlete they hire for the event to give the appearance of a race to finish second, they can and probably will taint triathalon.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
That's not the point. The point is to monetize/profit from an appearance. Whatever goodwill/legitimacy may exist for triathlon means nothing.

As long as Wonderboy, Wiesel, promoter XYZ make money. That means paying the other talented triathlete they hire for the event to give the appearance of a race to finish second, they can and probably will taint triathalon.

If they want to spend big then maybe, but it will be a gamble as Armstrong is not out of the woods yet.

He has no choice but to generate funds.

Leadville is prolly spot on ..Chlouber adores him. He sure wont make friends in tri with his tactics, but he will draw curiosity seekers and many will want to try to win against him.

He's just going to be one of those unsavory characters that stick around no matter what...unfortunately.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/s...g-said-to-weigh-admission-of-doping.html?_r=0

Armstrong, 41, has been in discussions with the United States Anti-Doping Agency and has met with Travis Tygart, the agency’s chief executive, in an effort to mitigate the lifetime ban he received for playing a lead role in doping on his Tour-winning teams, according to one person briefed on the situation.

Armstrong is also seeking to meet with David Howman, the director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency, that person said.

Herman denied that Armstrong was talking to Tygart.

None of the people with knowledge of Armstrong’s situation wanted their names published because it would jeopardize their access to information on the matter.

Tygart declined to comment. Howman, who is on vacation in New Zealand, did not immediately respond to a phone call and an e-mail.

Armstrong has been under pressure from various fronts to come clean. Wealthy supporters of Livestrong, the charity he founded after surviving testicular cancer, have been trying to convince him to come forward so he could clear his conscience and save the organization from further damage, one person with knowledge of the situation said.

TRENDING THREADS