• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012)

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Another cancer charity...

Jill Kelley and her husband started a charity focused on cancer research and on granting “wishes to terminally ill cancer patients,” according to 2007 tax documents. The documents show that, of the nearly $160,000 the group raised, it spent roughly half on meals, entertainment, and automotive and office expenses.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a33c-2d19-11e2-9ac2-1c61452669c3_story_1.html

I gotta start me a charity.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:

Jill Kelley and her husband started a charity focused on cancer research and on granting “wishes to terminally ill cancer patients,” according to 2007 tax documents. The documents show that, of the nearly $160,000 the group raised, it spent roughly half on meals, entertainment, and automotive and office expenses.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a33c-2d19-11e2-9ac2-1c61452669c3_story_1.html

Wiggo may need some help with his...

knewcleardaze said:

The link is bigger than that. Paula Broadwell went running with Armstrong in July and tried to get him to go riding with Gen. Petraeus on his 60th birthday.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nati...-petraeus-lance-armstrong-his-birthday/59037/

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:

I dare some of you to research 501C3 bike clubs. When you discover the tax and accounting benefits provided by the US tax code you will find out why every actor, musician, athlete and everybody else has a foundation or some other buzz term for a charity. The non-profit approach has legit at one end and everything in between by the time you get to the real scams it will disgust you.

I recently have started riding with a guy that runs a non profit for abandoned dogs. His taxes are as complicated as any, he writes off, part of his house,lots of travel and expenses as he finds homes for 1 or 2 dogs at a time. The guy is a talented cat2 and is as straight as anybody. He doesn't feel that it's a scam because he is actually doing something but of things ever turn wrong he will be exposed to outside opinions that are sure to be harsh.

fatandfast said:
I dare some of you to research 501C3 bike clubs. When you discover the tax and accounting benefits provided by the US tax code you will find out why every actor, musician, athlete and everybody else has a foundation or some other buzz term for a charity. The non-profit approach has legit at one end and everything in between by the time you get to the real scams it will disgust you.

Bike clubs and your new workout buddy are small-time operations, but I generally agree. Check out the NCAA or the USOC sometime for how it's done on a large scale.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The NFL is non-profit. Seriously! It negotiates multibillion dollar media contracts, pays the guy who runs the thing $11 million a year, but it is non-profit. Figure that one out.

We're going political now. And beyond.

In the early days of stock markets listing a company was all about shareholders getting maximum dividend. Stock value appreciation was secondary. Then we moved to stock value appreciation becoming the primary reason for companies listing. Now listing and running companies is all about maximizing expenses for the senior team to a level that shareholders will tolerate. And the 'not-for profit sector', etc are classic examples. Should rename this to 'maximize management expenses sector', a much more accurate term. Even the recently become trendy 'philanthropy' sector is mostly a PR exercise/total joke.

In parallel and overlapping we have the 'i' generation trend. What 'i' can get out of the system. Never mind the system being screwed over, as long as 'i' do well out of it. Screw the many in the system who have to suffer from me doing well. And the better 'i' do (and often others suffer), the more recognition and award we bestow. Work that one out.

Longer term this developing social inequity is the stuff that caused major revolutions. Like the ones that changed governance in Europe in the 1500-1800's. Only so much people in the system will take. Sports may well be the canary in the mine. IOC/UCI/FIFA have been a senior boys rort for decades. What's best for the sport is not the key driver for its leadership, instead its 'i' Pat and 'i' Hein (and 'i' Sepp and 'i' Jaques, etc). And cycling may well become the canary of sport. And social media the tool to drive the change. And "The Clinic" to change cycling:D.

And cycling to change sport. And sport to change the world. Vive le sport! Vive le cyclisme!

D-Queued said:
As this is the current catch-all basin for things related to Lance / USPostal / Novitzky / etc.:

Today's News Item:

U.S. Postal Service has record loss, may face cash shortfall

I know where they could try and recover some of that cash.

Dave.

This is a pet peeve of mine. GWB administration signed a bill into law requiring the postal service pre-pay current and future pensions for 50 years in advance NOW. A less ridiculous pension pre-payment scheme is good planning. For whatever reasons Cheney apparently dislikes the postal service. Without the pre-payment, the postal service would be breaking even.

Not related to anything cycling, pensions are the next thing to blow up in the U.S. Most will declare themselves 'broke' then shift the burden onto the taxpayers. That's why Congress is opening up the retirement contribution limits. They know it's coming.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This is a pet peeve of mine. GWB administration signed a bill into law requiring the postal service pre-pay current and future pensions for 50 years in advance NOW. A less ridiculous pension pre-payment scheme is good planning. For whatever reasons Cheney apparently dislikes the postal service. Without the pre-payment, the postal service would be breaking even.

Not related to anything cycling, pensions are the next thing to blow up in the U.S. Most will declare themselves 'broke' then shift the burden onto the taxpayers. That's why Congress is opening up the retirement contribution limits. They know it's coming.

You have this right...I work for USPS...not only is the pension system ridiculous our hands are tied by congress...to raise stamp prices to cover what is actually costs to deliver the mail congress has to approve...an extra 5 cents of so would do it...they said no...effectively insuring loss...I could give you many more examples...The repubs absolutely despise the postal unions and this is pretty much their no brainer plan to ensure that happens...and most likely it will be Obama who steps in and finishes the job for them...like the auto industry, he will step in, there will be massive pay cuts and then he will stand up there and congratulate himself for saving so many jobs...pretty much the fix is in for us...

I wonder if Lance was at the Formula 1 race in Austin yesterday. There were several Hollywood people there and I'm sure Lance would have loved to been a part of it. It's gotta hurt his ego not to be able to be part of the "rich and famous" crowd any longer. Now he's just infamous.

benzwire said:
I wonder if Lance was at the Formula 1 race in Austin yesterday. There were several Hollywood people there and I'm sure Lance would have loved to been a part of it. It's gotta hurt his ego not to be able to be part of the "rich and famous" crowd any longer. Now he's just infamous.
i watched a lot of coverage and didn't see hide nor hair of him...

alas, i saw a few of those yellow bands (funny how much they stand out now) around the wrists of those with enough money to get close enough to try and take pics of the drivers.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
alas, i saw a few of those yellow bands (funny how much they stand out now) around the wrists of those with enough money to get close enough to try and take pics of the drivers.

I was at a meeting today at a university. One of the undergraduate researchers had a yellow wristband on. He was a nice kid and I doubt that he knew much about cycling, and I was in a polite business settings, so I didn't have the heart to say anything.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
And a pearler quote from Sarkozy on Armstrong, in the Bordry CN article yesterday.

"According to Bordry, Sarkozy told him: "Even Astérix used to take a magic potion."

The article provides the strongest "proofpoint" I have seen so far of Sarko's direct involvement protecting Lance.

trailrunner said:
I was at a meeting today at a university. One of the undergraduate researchers had a yellow wristband on. He was a nice kid and I doubt that he knew much about cycling, and I was in a polite business settings, so I didn't have the heart to say anything.

I was on the bus coming home from the airport a while back and a nice young guy got on wearing a yellow band. It was all I could do to clamp my mouth and not say a word! :eek: