• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 280 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TexPat said:
Come to think, it would be cool for the aforementioned crooks and criminals to publicly recognise that I was more than a disgruntled employee, and issue an apology to my mother (RIP) who surely rolled over in her grave when they unleashed WWIII on me.
Followed by a large donation to the Suicide Prevention Hotline of my choice.

Somebody sure owes you an apology Mike.
I can't even imagine what you have been through personally..

TexPat said:
Come to think, it would be cool for the aforementioned crooks and criminals to publicly recognise that I was more than a disgruntled employee, and issue an apology to my mother (RIP) who surely rolled over in her grave when they unleashed WWIII on me.

I definitely think it sucks a ton that you went through the legal and life bull**** that happened. But the more I find out about Lance, the more I start to feel bad that you even had to work with him in the first place.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
lost on page 633

TShame said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/sports/cycling/end-of-the-ride-for-lance-armstrong.html

Tells the story of Lance leaving his dream home and also his inspiration and his downfall through the eyes of his massage guy (I can't spell french words, sorry)

Whether you feel Lance deserves it or just revel in his less than billionaire 'slum' status; there is something in this article for everyone. I liked this more than any other book or article.

He may even earn a little pity, just as that little Italian climber that the Giro wants to honor (the Pirate, who died of drug abuse). I hated him as a cyclist, but pity him how he died. I loved Lance as a cyclist despite his arrogance and morals. He deserved to be punished, but not unfairly.

Still, he doesn't get it. He thinks Trek should be only thankful for what he did for the company. Oh well, he could always wind up with a Kardashian in the future or some other reality show.

You sure can't forget the man. He will always be Tour history and its biggest legend.

I wish this would have its own thread.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I dont hold the doping against him, I dont even hold the pseudo corruption getting the UCI to work their inimitable magic on Mayo et al.

But he could have gone easy on those like the Andreu's, who never saw life thru his amoral lens.

He was a champion, and his will was peerless, for that, much respect.

Wow, a Lance fan still survives?

TexPat said:
As much as I'd like to have some extra dough to send the kids to summer camp, and maybe take a family holiday, I'd rather buck the trend and forego another legal proceeding. Even for sport!
Besides, I'd have to travel back to the US, which is a long way from home.

TexPat said:

Doesn't this forum have a freshly minted US attorney with an interest in the case on its books? Once he gets his exam results why doesn't ChewbaccaD take on the case remotely on your behalf - really could be the revenge of the Clinic:)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
I wish this would have its own thread.
nah, i dont really like him. Ask Dear Wiggo, elizab, Race Radio, et al.

I am not an Armie homer.

At the moment my favourite athlete is a female ski jumper, Lydia Lassila nee Ierodiaconou, who treated her own performance as an end inandofitself, and sacrificed wins and spotlight and rewards.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
TShame said:
He may even earn a little pity, just as that little Italian climber that the Giro wants to honor (the Pirate, who died of drug abuse). I hated him as a cyclist, but pity him how he died. I loved Lance as a cyclist despite his arrogance and morals. He deserved to be punished, but not unfairly.

Comparing Pantani's demise with that of Armstrong is pointless. No one deserves Pantani's fate, whereas Armstrong has no one to blame for his predicament but himself. The reason he's in as deep as he is is down to his being so arrogant he assumed he'd be able to beat USADA.

blackcat said:
nah, i dont really like him. Ask Dear Wiggo, elizab, Race Radio, et al.

I am not an Armie homer.

At the moment my favourite athlete is a female ski jumper, Lydia Lassila nee Ierodiaconou, who treated her own performance as an end inandofitself, and sacrificed wins and spotlight and rewards.

Are you sure she's a ski jumper?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Reed Albergotti and Vanessa O'Connell book "Wheelmen" is for sale in France. Note the new title

For those who do not speak French it is "Journey of a B@stard"

images

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Reed Albergotti and Vanessa O'Connell book "Wheelmen" is for sale in France. Note the new title

For those who do not speak French it is "Journey of a B@stard"

images

And there was me thinking French was such a subtle language! :D

Dr Phil

BANNED
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It's quite common for high profile celebrities to have a list of embittered former employees and former friends with grievances. Almost every A-lister has these. When you're famous, the stakes of normal relationships is a lot higher. The process of losing friends that we all go through in life turns into a smear campaign on the internet. If a nanny or gardener is let go, or a contractor feels they weren't paid properly, suddenly their former boss becomes the worst person in the world and is stalked to death.

In the case of Mike Anderson, his entire career plan was to leech off Armstrong's fame in the form of a bike shop. That was always likely not to end well. When it inevitably fell through he took it very badly and has been trolling him ever since. Clearly he's a very bitter man who can't let it go and sees Armstrong as the cause of all his troubles.

Then we have Betsy who has brainwashed herself into believing her husband was forced to dope by Lance at gun point, and she blocks out the reality of the doping culture in Europe which Frankie took full part in and would have done so with or without Lance. It's painful to watch as she regurgitates this drivel about Frankie being "99% clean", when in fact he was a lab rat of Dr Testa for years in Italy.

Lastly we have RaceRadio who lost some tris to Lance in 1989 and never forgave him, then later was thwarted again when his company's sponsorship of Jan Ulrich's doping program failed to produce a defeat for Lance. The guy is obviously very screwed up - we can all see it.

They all post here and obsess over every detail of Armstrong's legal cases and really believe that Armstrong losing some money will somehow improve their lives, just as they thought their lives would improve if he lost the titles. It's a complete illusion - their problems are deep and wont be solved like that. They won't find peace through hate.

For the rest of us, we need to take a step back and realise these are not fair minded observers, but classic example of people who have had runs in with a famous person and have now all got together to demonise and troll the individual. For those interested in a broader look at Armstrong and professional cycling in the era he rode, our job is take the personal grievances of individuals with a grain of salt.

Dr Phil said:
It's quite common for high profile celebrities to have a list of embittered former employees and former friends with grievances. Almost every A-lister has these. When you're famous, the stakes of normal relationships is a lot higher. The process of losing friends that we all go through in life turns into a smear campaign on the internet. If a nanny or gardener is let go, or a contractor feels they weren't paid properly, suddenly their former boss becomes the worst person in the world and is stalked to death.

In the case of Mike Anderson, his entire career plan was to leech off Armstrong's fame in the form of a bike shop. That was always likely not to end well. When it inevitably fell through he took it very badly and has been trolling him ever since. Clearly he's a very bitter man who can't let it go and sees Armstrong as the cause of all his troubles.

Then we have Betsy who has brainwashed herself into believing her husband was forced to dope by Lance at gun point, and she blocks out the reality of the doping culture in Europe which Frankie took full part in and would have done so with or without Lance. It's painful to watch as she regurgitates this drivel about Frankie being "99% clean", when in fact he was a lab rat of Dr Testa for years in Italy.

Lastly we have RaceRadio who lost some tris to Lance in 1989 and never forgave him, then later was thwarted again when his company's sponsorship of Jan Ulrich's doping program failed to produce a defeat for Lance. The guy is obviously very screwed up - we can all see it.

They all post here and obsess over every detail of Armstrong's legal cases and really believe that Armstrong losing some money will somehow improve their lives, just as they thought their lives would improve if he lost the titles. It's a complete illusion - their problems are deep and wont be solved like that. They won't find peace through hate.

For the rest of us, we need to take a step back and realise these are not fair minded observers, but classic example of people who have had runs in with a famous person and have now all got together to demonise and troll the individual. For those interested in a broader look at Armstrong and professional cycling in the era he rode, our job is take the personal grievances of individuals with a grain of salt.

Well, you didn't last long. Sorry to see you go.

Race Radio said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2014/03/04/armstrong-wins-appeal-to-halt-case/6038957/

Lance wins his appeal to temporally pause the SCA case

“The appellate court stayed proceedings while considering their appeal,” said SCA lawyer Jeff Tillotson in an email “This is not terribly unusual. We will file a response with the appellate and are confident that the appeal will be dismissed. More delay and procedural games from Mr. Armstrong. In the end, the result will be the same.”

I'm not sure I understand the legal in & outs. If the appeal is not dismissed, will arbitration take place without Lance testifying?

Bosco10 said:
I'm not sure I understand the legal in & outs. If the appeal is not dismissed, will arbitration take place without Lance testifying?

The sequence of events is this

1. Two (2) of the 3 original arbitrators in the SCA case ruled they had jurisdiction to revisit their 2006 decision to pay Armstrong bonuses in the light of Armstrongs admission to doping. SCA wants their money back.

2. Armstrong brought an application in the District Court of Texas to prevent the SCA arbitration panel from re-hearing the case on the grounds the original settlement was a full and final settlement that could not be re-opened. That application was dismissed by Judge Tonya Parker on Feb. 25, 2014

3. SCAs lawyer (Tillotson) requested and the SCA arbitration panel agreed to hear testimony from LA on March 17, 2014.

4. Armstrong then appealed Judge Parkers decision to the Texas Court of Appeals who then ordered that the March 17 hearing not proceed temporarily and LA will not have to testify until the appeal is decided.

5. SCAs lawyer said he is confident Armstrongs appeal will be dismissed. Herman (Lances lawyer) says the appeal will be successful. Classic lawyer speak. Each lawyer confident in their opposing views.

If the appeal is dismissed then a new date for the hearing before the SCA panel will be set and Armstrong will have to testify under oath. Then the SCA lawyer (Tillotson) will obviously raise the issue of Armstrongs perjury from his previous arbitration testimony (Nov. 11, 2005)