• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 533 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
I wonder if he likes his case as much as he liked his credibility?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-we-like-our-case-in-federal-lawsuit/

#nevertestedpositive
If he can draw this out until the next president takes office - i.e. Hillary Bubba Clinton - I like his chances too. Imagine the first husband making a few calls and voilà - the qui tam gets shut down. Hell, she may even appoint eunuch Andre Birotte Attorney General, in which case I really like wonderboy's chances.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure the Clinton's want to be associated with the Biggest Sporting Fraud of all Time, especially as his fortune is dwindling at an exponential rate and no income for foreseeable future to milk as that is why the Clinton's would close the Qui Tam case. I mean HC might want to get elected for a 2nd term ;)

I dont think many people will want to work with Armstrong again. He is too toxic. Most Americans like there Sports Stars to be heroes, not cheating jerks and bullies. Some will alway like Armstrong no matter, but they are a small minority and Armstrong was not too hot on his normal fans never mind the sycophantics .

Armstrong is lying when he says that he thinks his chances are good. How do I know this? His lips are moving.

He's also admitted to defrauding the federal government. He has the "I gave you value defense," for what it's worth, and that's about it. He's in big trouble in this litigation.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Spawn of e said:
MarkvW said:
Pro cycling has never been healthy. Health would require a radical transformation. All we get from the dopers is a periodic snapshot of the filth.

You can say that about any sport. Cycling gets a skewed rap about the prevalence of PEDs IMO because it is doing more, regardless of how ineffective and corrupt we all think it is, than other sports.

You sure are down on the sport. Did you ever race or do you ride recreationally?

Why make it personal?

The history of the sport is littered with PED abuse. It has always been the whipping boy for PED sport news. But it is a deserved reputation earned from day 1.
PED abuse in Cycling goes all the way back to the likes of Choppy Warburton (an Englishman BTW) in the 18 freaking 90's doping both himself and his riders.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Not sure the Clinton's want to be associated with the Biggest Sporting Fraud of all Time, especially as his fortune is dwindling at an exponential rate and no income for foreseeable future to milk as that is why the Clinton's would close the Qui Tam case. I mean HC might want to get elected for a 2nd term ;)

I dont think many people will want to work with Armstrong again. He is too toxic. Most Americans like there Sports Stars to be heroes, not cheating jerks and bullies. Some will alway like Armstrong no matter, but they are a small minority and Armstrong was not too hot on his normal fans never mind the sycophantics .

I liked this comment from Wonderboy in one of the recent articles about how he claims fans still like him, which proves he's delusional(and a liar):

"People are always cool. I've never had a negative interaction or confrontation. My life is probably more public now in terms of being out in the public than before," Armstrong said.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

86TDFWinner said:
Benotti69 said:

I liked this comment from Wonderboy in one of the recent articles about how he claims fans still like him, which proves he's delusional(and a liar):

"People are always cool. I've never had a negative interaction or confrontation. My life is probably more public now in terms of being out in the public than before," Armstrong said.

it's a pretty neutral quote.
to me that sounds more like somebody coming to terms with reality, in a slow but good way.
he's had quite a lesson in humility, that's for sure. must not be easy, having been a bully without much resistance. Then, bam, whole house of cards comes crashing down. We can only assume that that has changed him, in a good way.
anyway, i don't share your interpretation of it.

Spawn of e said:
MarkvW said:
Pro cycling has never been healthy. Health would require a radical transformation. All we get from the dopers is a periodic snapshot of the filth.

You can say that about any sport. Cycling gets a skewed rap about the prevalence of PEDs IMO because it is doing more, regardless of how ineffective and corrupt we all think it is, than other sports.

You sure are down on the sport. Did you ever race or do you ride recreationally?

Dude, really? Please tell me you're not using the weak" you can't comment on something because you weren't there or weren't involved" excuse?

sniper said:
86TDFWinner said:
Benotti69 said:

to me that sounds more like somebody coming to terms with reality, in a slow but good way.
he's had quite a lesson in humility, that's for sure. must not be easy, having been a bully without much resistance. Then, bam, whole house of cards comes crashing down. We can only assume that that has changed him, in a good way.

I get what you're saying. I Still think he's delusional and still think he hasn't come to grips with reality by saying that, he's still in denial about what he's done. I don't think he truly ever will. Now all he's doing, is coming off as a huge whiner, who every chance he gets, has to point out how mean WADA/USADA have been to him. He's the reason they are what they are to him, yet it's as if he just doesn't get it, or wants to.

I don't believe anything out of his mouth and nothing he can say or do will ever make me a fan of him. He ruined too many lives and did too many awful things to folks to get any sort of sympathy or empathy from me.

We agree to disagree.

86TDFWinner said:
sniper said:
86TDFWinner said:
Benotti69 said:

I get what you're saying. I Still think he's delusional and still think he hasn't come to grips with reality by saying that, he's still in denial about what he's done. I don't think he truly ever will. Now all he's doing, is coming off as a huge whiner, who every chance he gets, has to point out how mean WADA/USADA have been to him. He's the reason they are what they are to him, yet it's as if he just doesn't get it, or wants to.

I don't believe anything out of his mouth and nothing he can say or do will ever make me a fan of him. He ruined too many lives and did too many awful things to folks to get any sort of sympathy or empathy from me.

We agree to disagree.

Lance may or may not be delusional (either in the clinical sense or in each person's unique personal sense), but he would be foolish (given that he is a practiced liar)--at this time--to say anything negative that could possibly impact his chances of favorable settlement with the US or his chances in the legal proceedings.

There may be an honest book in Lance yet--if he really, really needs the money.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I think Lance now understands what he did wrong. i think he gets it. He still doesn't think he deserves the beating he has taken though.
Looking back on the whole situation now my big issue was the blind followers that wouldn't believe or see what he had done.
Once it came out and the *** hit the fan I didn't really care anymore.

The Rogan podcast was still him playing the game, waiting for forgiveness and he thinks at some point he will be able to come out of 'timeout'

Re:

ebandit said:
...............boy! how many would pay to see lance take a beating.............everyone should write lance

and say he's a perfect fit for.............mixed martial arts...........

Mark L

Lance is 44 years old. Watching an old man take a beat-down is not pretty. Roy Jones Jr.'s experience is an example.

Maybe Lance and Betsy could go on tour together. That would be fun!

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Re:

AcademyCC said:
I think Lance now understands what he did wrong. i think he gets it.
I think he compares himself to someone like Miguel Indurain, who almost certainly doped, but who gets to retain his titles. The difference - Mig wasn't an egomaniac. He wasn't an a-hole. Thus no-one had reason to go after him.

Armstrong on the other hand had a habit of making enemies. Most importantly, he turned his back on Floyd Landis, when Landis was down. Huge miscalculation.

Pazuzu said:
AcademyCC said:
I think Lance now understands what he did wrong. i think he gets it.
I think he compares himself to someone like Miguel Indurain, who almost certainly doped, but who gets to retain his titles. The difference - Mig wasn't an egomaniac. He wasn't an a-hole. Thus no-one had reason to go after him.

Armstrong on the other hand had a habit of making enemies. Most importantly, he turned his back on Floyd Landis, when Landis was down. Huge miscalculation.

This. He underestimated Floyd and(at the time), thought he was untouchable. Eventually, that (along with a mountain of evidence), brought him down. Plus, like you said, he was a huge douchebag to many and many wanted to take him down for that.

I do have to say though, Miggy's lucky the SOL is up and no one's decided to stir trouble with him too. Probably why he's been so quiet over the years, as to not set off any alarms.

Like the old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

42x16ss said:
While I agree with everything that you wrote, are you certain that the UCI, WADA, USADA etc really want Armstrong to open up and give 100% of the dirt? I doubt that sports administration could handle it, especially if he were to sidestep the various administrations and go direct to the media....
What I am certain of is that the UCI and WADA do not want Pharmstrong to come clean, as his doing so will reveal their (continued?) fecklessness or complicity or both. But there was a time when Pharmstrong was bigger than the UCI, bigger than pro cycling (and he might yet be). There was a time when the sycophantic press -- and I'm talking the mainstream media, not merely sports media -- cheerfully would have lent him their bully pulpit, and thanked him for the privilege of serving his cause. He commanded enough fan allegiance that it was within his power either to force the sport to undertake substantive reforms or to burn it to the ground.

This also is/was the only measure Pharmstrong could have undertaken to rehabilitate his legacy. The fact of his cheating can never be undone, but he might also have been remembered as the man who compelled the sport to transform itself against its own will by dint of the public adoration he commands. Under the present circumstance, OTOH, I feel certain he will reach the end his life as a bitter and despondent old man who still blames some faceless cabal for his fall from grace.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

StyrbjornSterki said:
but he might also have been remembered as the man who compelled the sport to transform itself against its own will by dint of the public adoration he commands.

not continental public adoration.

ok, he had Sarkozy on speed-dial, but that was political expedience, surely Sarkozy saw him as GW BUsh did

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

DirtyWorks said:
Does no one follow Race Radio's twitter feed?
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3x8w9q/i_am_a_former_dea_agent_that_opened_the_case/cy2jk35

Interesting details on the death of the criminal case. (Friday afternoon, before the superbowl, news)

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3x8w9q/i_am_a_former_dea_agent_that_opened_the_case/cy2jk35

the top reply is by a JRobertson ... ????

John Robertson Barloworld pre-Corti-putsch /KonicaMinolta feeder ...

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:

I think you're convoluting the sequence of events there (easy to do in the labyrinth of Reddit).

I am Jack Robertson, a former DEA agent who fought El Chapo’s primary rival — the AFO — for 20 years. (I also went on to help take down Lance Armstrong.)

My Proof: Jack:
http://imgur.com/SpFMFcT
TheRaceRadio
Were you surprised when the Feds dropped the criminal case against Lance Armstrong? Given the substantial evidence why do you think it was dropped?
JRobertson21
W/O question!! There was no explanation given by the US Attorney in LA, & he admitted it was a strong case. He did this unilaterally w/o speaking to his AUSAs or the law enforcement heads. This implies to me that pressure came from somewhere to prompt this dismissal. I have long felt this should be investigated to see if someone did a favor. If I ever interviewed Armstrong, it would be my very first question.

In the end though, it doesn't really tell us anything, does it?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Jacques de Molay said:
blackcat said:

I think you're convoluting the sequence of events there (easy to do in the labyrinth of Reddit).

I am Jack Robertson, a former DEA agent who fought El Chapo’s primary rival — the AFO — for 20 years. (I also went on to help take down Lance Armstrong.)

My Proof: Jack:
http://imgur.com/SpFMFcT
TheRaceRadio
Were you surprised when the Feds dropped the criminal case against Lance Armstrong? Given the substantial evidence why do you think it was dropped?
JRobertson21
W/O question!! There was no explanation given by the US Attorney in LA, & he admitted it was a strong case. He did this unilaterally w/o speaking to his AUSAs or the law enforcement heads. This implies to me that pressure came from somewhere to prompt this dismissal. I have long felt this should be investigated to see if someone did a favor. If I ever interviewed Armstrong, it would be my very first question.

Well it does tell us that maybe some folks will never really be able to move on. Everyone including myself are the same for still posting in the Lance Armstrong thread.
But the force is stronger with some.

Jacques de Molay said:

It suggests the criminal case was strong from his perspective. Perhaps he had buy-in from the lawyers who would try the case. Perhaps.

I don't know enough about how that all works to formulate an opinion beyond, "the guy that put the case together thought it was strong." I know enough to know that is not always the case.

If the case was insufficient on facts, announcing it Sunday night in time for a Monday morning cycle would have been no problem. Instead, it gets buried on the least newsworthy day in America.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
Armstrong would be better off beefing himself up for WWE or similar and playing up the bad guy image!

He could be a manager, one of the bad guys like Mr Fuji, bobby the brain heenan or Classy Freddie Blassie

Freddie_Blassie_bio.png

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

MarkvW said:
Have a hard time believing that the projected multimillion dollar civil case didn't play a substantial part in the decision to drop the criminal case. But, it's all speculation.

It was all Armstrong Birotte Fabiani and Clinton

RaceRadio can confirm, but I think Bubba said words to the fact "we dont hang our champions"

TRENDING THREADS