• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 548 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

86TDFWinner said:
ebandit said:
“Having him speak openly and with candour about his past- is a signal of the intent of One Zero to tackle the major issues in sport from money and fans to technology and doping.”

........errr.........i think the OP got it right....$ to be made...sod! the sport

Mark L
Yep. Cash grab! Lawyers cost money

Sounds like Armstrong has taken pointers from Walsh on how to earn extra money. Speaking tours. At least Armstrong hasn't lowered himself to a cruise ship.... yet.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

bikinggirl said:
Why is people still disgussing this lunatic???

Maybe because he was the best rider of his generation, crushed the competition who were all doping, won seven Tours in a row, and will eventually be accepted as the such. That might just be it. Wada breaking its own rules to make him a scapegoat might also have something to do with it.

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Maybe because he was the best rider of his generation, crushed the competition who were all doping, won seven Tours in a row, and will eventually be accepted as the such. That might just be it. Wada breaking its own rules to make him a scapegoat might also have something to do with it.

Sad thing is we will never know that. All we know is he was a pathological lier with a penchant for destroy careers and lives.

Nice guy.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

Chairman Mao said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Sad thing is we will never know that. All we know is he was a pathological lier with a penchant for destroy careers and lives.

Nice guy.

You have to love the "destroy lives" line being promoted by clowns like LeMond and Betsy, who, for their own personal and less than noble reasons, made a conscious decision to go to war with Armstrong and want sympathy for LA responding to them in kind. Those two could have stopped the war at any time but continued to pursue their grudges by poking the bear at every opportunity.

Of course, when you are talking about a sociopath like Betsy, it is all understandable.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Nope.

Pantani, Ullrich, Mayo and others were imo better riders. Armstrong had everything stacked unfairly in his favour from UCI down.

He was made a scapegoat, but he has no one to blame but himself for that.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Pantani, Ullrich, Mayo and others were imo better riders. Armstrong had everything stacked unfairly in his favour from UCI down.!
Exactly right. Isn't it a wee bit peculiar that Hamilton, Contador, & Landis got busted for doping only after they were no longer riding on Armstrong's team. :rolleyes:

Now if someone wants to make the claim that Armstrong was the best doper of all time -- the Machiavellian mastermind who worked the system better than anyone else*, I'd be inclined to agree. :D

* Save for the fatal error of not giving Floyd Landis a job.

Benotti69 said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Nope.

Pantani, Ullrich, Mayo and others were imo better riders. Armstrong had everything stacked unfairly in his favour from UCI down.

Pantani? He's also a high-responder who benefited extremely well from O2-vector doping. On his Wikipedia page you can see the data on his Hct values where he fluctuates between a 40.7% baseline to over 58%. The result? Pantani holds the top three (3) fastest ascents up Alpe d'Huez, with one of those set in the post-50% Hct limit era. He's also the last rider to win the Giro-Tour double in 98 (anyone really think he's that good without dope?). And the Kaiser? In the 96 Tour at age 22, he narrowly loses to Riis (probably could have beat him if he wasn't riding in support), and the following year he literally destroys a star-studded oxygen-vector doped field. IMO, another high-responder who would have won multiple Tours in the absence of LA.

LA's main competitors were doping to the best of their abilities and none have complained the LA had an unfair advantage with the UCI or whatever else. In fact, Ullrich has said that LA's titles should be reinstated due to the prevelance of doping at that time. No question....LA was a jerk, bully, toughguy, etc. and brought a "pro-wrestling" type attitude to cycling with his deplorable off-field behavior (imagine that). And of course, he had one of the pioneers of O2-vector doping supervising his program (and Big Mig during his dynasty had Concini). I don't blame the guy...if you want to fight fire with fire in a massively doped era back then; then go with one of the best in the business. If anything, LA had uncanny luck in avoiding crashes & staying out of trouble. Imagine if it was LA who dumped it in 03 instead of Beloki...we wouldn't be talking about this.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cheers.

That could be interesting.
Off the ball is no Oprah Winfrey.

Whatever his agenda, it's interesting to see him approach the likes of Off the ball and Kimmage.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Cheers.

Whatever his agenda, it's interesting to see him approach the likes of Off the ball and Kimmage.
lol deserves a listen, wasn't an easy ride he was given, the Le Monde bit was quite funny . Off the ball 1 lance 0.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

noddy69 said:
sniper said:
Cheers.

lol deserves a listen, wasn't an easy ride he was given, the Le Monde bit was quite funny . Off the ball 1 lance 0.

The 8 seconds of silence ( a huge chasm on radio) after the question on LeMond/Trek told a lot.

Also the hatred that Hincapie gets introduced on stages/podiums in USA as a rider who was on teams that won 9TdFs.

That he just hung up at the end rather than say goodbye was also telling.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
noddy69 said:
sniper said:
Cheers.

The 8 seconds of silence ( a huge chasm on radio) after the question on LeMond/Trek told a lot.

Also the hatred that Hincapie gets introduced on stages/podiums in USA as a rider who was on teams that won 9TdFs.

That and the bit on the motor- a big story with a motor coming after asking Lance was he offered one ?

May 26, 2010
Visit site

noddy69 said:
Benotti69 said:
noddy69 said:
sniper said:
Cheers.

That and the bit on the motor- a big story with a motor coming after asking Lance was he offered one ?

Yep and they are going to follow it up with other contributors to the reasoned decision. I think Armstrong hanging up at the end without a goodbye meant he was not happy where the interview went. Probably thought because he never heard of Gilroy/Newstalk it would be a breeze.

Benotti69 said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Nope.

And, for the 100th time, if he JUST would have stayed retired, then he'd be as controversial as say, a Bjarne Riis. Too bad he can't control his own impulses.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
Benotti69 said:
DamianoMachiavelli said:
bikinggirl said:

Nope.

And, for the 100th time, if he JUST would have stayed retired, then he'd be as controversial as say, a Bjarne Riis. Too bad he can't control his own impulses.

I think Armstrong is still not finished. He still sees himself as a 'player', where he chooses to play will be interesting. Politics still might be his arena.

I think Armstrong is still not finished. He still sees himself as a 'player', where he chooses to play will be interesting. Politics still might be his arena.

Lance and Trump are made for each other. Megalomania personified and not a brain cell to be found! In Texas that is a requirement for politics!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Missed opportunity from Gilroy to ask some interesting questions. Instead he keeps banging on about the andreus and how lance needs to apologize.
I love Gilroy but that was just lame.
And Gilroy seems happy to ignore the andreus hypocrisy.
Gikroy: "It seems like you still have something against Betsy."
Newsflash Ger: lance is still human.

Lance: "the most important thing is I apologized and they (lemonds) accepted my apologies"
Gilroy "they didn't accept you apologies"
Lance: "how do you know. You weren't on the room"
Gilroy: " I have my sources"

Double facepalm Ger! And again, let's just step over Lemonds own hypocrisy.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
What is Gilroy expect lance to say?
If Lance says abc we say he has no credibility.
If Lance says xyz we say hes just bitter and frustrated.
In such a climate of ignorance, why would Lance talk abiut doping?

Make amends. Thanks Ger, we got it. Lance has to make amends. No need to repeat that 6 times.

The way Ger squeezes in the "Betsy just wants you to stop lying about her" bit is just sad.

Missed opportunity.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
If Ger hadn't gone after him in the first 20 minutes about Making Amends, Lance might actually have had something more interesting to say about Sky and marginal gains.
But Ger was too busy putting lance in the corner.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:

Whether that makes him bitter or not, I thought this was a compelling point from Lance.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

noddy69 said:
...Off the ball 1 lance 0.
Gilroy certainly seemed to think it was a pissing contest where the objective was to put Lance down for all the harm he's done to mankind.

Lance's responses were balanced, and his irritation after Gilroy's morale crusade and "No they didn't accept your apologies" was understandable.

I'd say Off the ball 0 - Lance 0.5

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession

I like Ger Gilroy too as an interviewer but then some of that stuff on the motor was stupid talk. Grand asking did he ever use one yet then it's another to imply that he did use one. "If I was inventor of the motor, I would have gone to you first". There is enough stuff against Lance than to try and add more to it in the absence of evidence. It's not the first time either this has happened. Lemond has implied it too in the past. Swart for one criticised Lemond for it.

For once(can't believe I'm saying this) I wouldn't blame Lance for getting angry.

That's wrong of a journalist.

The most interesting thing I took out of the interview was the fact that Gilroy indicated that a motor doping story would be breaking soon. This is either pure innuendo or he has been told something. Only time will judge this. There was a little too much of 'I know stuff that my sources told me'.

In his determination to be a hard line questioner I felt Gilroy pushed the apology button a little too much. I'd prefer if he had concentrated a bit more on the details and mechanics of the doping itself. Also failed to question him on Lance's previously held assertion that he didn't dope second time around.

Re:

A lot of posters (I'm looking at you Sniper) who I seriously respect, but in this instance I kind of disagree with.

I think Ger deserves nothing but admiration from the Clinic for being one of the few mainstream broadcast journalists with a keen knowledge and interest in doping, especially in cycling. Just for giving voice to Kimmage and Tucker he deserves eternal props.

Just imagine it had been a 5Live presenter who'd got the interview last night...