• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 592 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A better human being? A marginal gain, at best, as listening to almost any episode of his podcast shows. The man is still a grade-A #~@^.
Certainly an opinion.. I respect it.
I see the way he runs his businesses as a revolation. Given more than a few chances and pretty often says how careful he has been both personally and professionally.
The elephant still in every room of cycling is pretty well explained by a Joe Rogan podcast video that Dirt posted a few above these.
In that video and dozens of others, as well as written material from subject matter experts and past staff,riders and inner circle.. Lance was normal in many categories.. And your conclusion that he is and was a horse hinny to varying degrees is something he acknowledges often, and again says it's a constant struggle..

Fallen Angel,The Passion Fausto Coppi is almost a copy of the situation without the world wide connectivity and peaked public interest that Armstrong cancer win created world wide. If you read it.. and it's excellent.. the things that early cycling champions did make lots of modern rider F-ups look like child's play..
And post Armstrong era..hard to believe that situations like Sky..could not only exist but could happen under such scrutiny.. In the US we have 4 major unions.. NBA,NFL,MLB and hockey.. All for sure have dirt in every corner, but top to bottom it's understood that protecting the athlete is protecting the sport..Armstrong didn't ruin cycling.. Bike racing did it..if you hate Armstrong.. I get it, completely understandable, rational..
But when Armstrong is on cross for all the races,Trek,UCI,Nike,Gatorade.. the list is endless.. He is right about shouldering a disproportionate proportion of guilt and accountability. My opinion.. Lance on the sidelines when Vino and Landis can go full gas..ridiculous

If LA's character arc is interesting albeit inconclusive topic to discuss about, many of his detractors make him look almost sympathetic in my eyes.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered the phenomenon of either every wild accusation against LA being cheered enthusiastically ("He used motor in 1999", "He was on EPO already in 1993", "He would've been at best 200th if everyone was clean" etc ) or people getting totally frustrated if you point errors in them repeating some years ago debunked anti-Armstrong BS.

And to clarify, the guy has his flaws and moral shortcomings, and there should be enough high quality material to refer to.

Lance discussing "fairness in sports" and trans athletes. Fortunately, Lance is uniquely positioned to discuss this topic as he was cancelled.

Screenshot-2023-06-26-at-18-49-10-Home-Twitter.png

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...a-native-male-who-cheated-im-sure-hell-fix-it
Martina Navratilova, known for her outspokenness and activism in defense of equality, did not bite her tongue in responding to Armstrong's comments. The tennis player pointed out the irony of a man who cheated in sport now speaking out about others' participation in women's sporting competitions. Her response, while direct, reflects her firm belief that there is a competitive disadvantage and that the inclusion of trans women in women's sports is neither fair nor equitable.

Navratilova's wrote: "A native male who cheated in sport is going to talk to a natal male to talk about other native males competing in native female sports. Got it. I'm sure Lance will fix it."

But that is not what the discussion is about.

Navratilova made it about that when she prefaced her comment about Lance with "he's a male who cheated".

Frankly it gets boring after a while, i.e. everyone can get easy social media likes when they dogpile Lance Armstrong. It's cheap point scoring & everyone can do it. And it inarguably adds nothing to the debate regarding trans athletes.

Does the fact Armstrong took EPO to win the Tour de France disqualify the man from having an opinion? No.

FYI my point here is about the doping angle & ensuing holier than thou character assassination, i.e. I give no damns whatsoever about the topic Armstrong commented on, nor have I even looked for where Navratilova stands on the same issue.

I don't care. They could both be tinfoil hat UFO spotters arguing about crop circles, my opinion would be no different, i.e. when a fellow athlete attempts to silence Armstrong by scoring cheap social media credits in the form of saying "he's a cheat, ignore what he says on sensitive topics"... I'm of the opinion that's a really lowbrow effort to shut someone up.

The podcast is actually Kaitlyn Jenner stating that transgender athletes should not be competing in female events - There is nothing controversial stated in this episode and it's well known that female athletes don't want transgender athletes competing in their category.

Reactions: Riek s
Lance talking about a controversial topic to grab some headlines and making it all about himself? Say it ain't so!
Finally found a subject where it's hard for him to have a terrible take.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...a-native-male-who-cheated-im-sure-hell-fix-it
Martina Navratilova, known for her outspokenness and activism in defense of equality, did not bite her tongue in responding to Armstrong's comments. The tennis player pointed out the irony of a man who cheated in sport now speaking out about others' participation in women's sporting competitions. Her response, while direct, reflects her firm belief that there is a competitive disadvantage and that the inclusion of trans women in women's sports is neither fair nor equitable.

Navratilova's wrote: "A native male who cheated in sport is going to talk to a natal male to talk about other native males competing in native female sports. Got it. I'm sure Lance will fix it."
Pretty lol by Navratilova. "I actually agree with him partially but I have to preface this by attacking his character". Some attitude. I never understand this, if you dislike someone, criticize them for their bad stuff, not for something unrelated they did 20 years ago

• Wow
Reactions: noob
What a bizarre article ? How about the writer actually listening to the four part podcast series about transgender athletes participating in sport and analyzing the content in the series. Sometimes, I think the world has gone crazy.
You must have skipped over the tweet in which Lance said he was uniquely qualified to chime in on this subject because he himself had been a victim of cancel culture. If he had left off the part "As someone all too familiar with this phenomenon, I feel I'm uniquely positioned to have these conversations." he would have been fine in my book.

Lance was cancelled not because he cheated, but because he was (and still is) an a-hole. Lance ruined peoples lives and should consider himself fortunate that he didn't end up in prison for a couple of decades.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CJCycling and noob
You must have skipped over the tweet in which Lance said he was uniquely qualified to chime in on this subject because he himself had been a victim of cancel culture. If he had left off the part "As someone all too familiar with this phenomenon, I feel I'm uniquely positioned to have these conversations." he would have been fine in my book.

Lance was cancelled not because he cheated, but because he was (and still is) an a-hole. Lance ruined peoples lives and should consider himself fortunate that he didn't end up in prison for a couple of decades.

It is an irrelevant article - I want to read the writers opinion is of the four part series Armstrong is producing on transgender athletes - This is just another case of a glorified writer trying to achieve click-bait - Unfortunately many fall for this rubbish.