• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 3 (Post-Confession)

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Not SCA.

Acceptance were the insurer's of the 1999-2001 bonus's, then SCA stepped up for the others.

Details are further down the article, 2nd last paragraph.

"The Acceptance case is similar to a $12 million lawsuit filed by Dallas-based SCA Promotions. SCA tried to withhold bonuses from Armstrong in 2005 and went to arbitration in an effort to prove he was cheating. Armstrong testified in that case under oath and denied doping, and the case was eventually settled with SCA paying Armstrong more than $7m."

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
The SCA case? Are you sure?

The link in Benottis post is a different company called Acceptance Insurance for $3 million.
Legal stuff is never straight forward, but from the outside the Acceptance one looked easier for LA to get dismissed than the SCA case..

I think the Acceptance case is even stronger then the SCA case.

Not a good sign for Lance. If SCA is allowed to go forward then he has to settle

Bosco10 said:
Check out this frumpy fanboy site: http://www.lancesupport.org/

Almost unbelievable. I can understand why those Lancekids drank his Kool-Aid in the "pre-confession" past. But now he takes a nice long pee into the Kool-Aid, and they still gulp it down. Talk about adding insult to injury! The general jist of it is: Lance is still our hero, and it took a lot of courage for him to go on Oprah to set things straight. <barf>
Funny you mention Kool-Aid. The tone of those messages reminds me of testimonials to Jim Jones or David Koresh. What a sad, delusional bunch.

Race Radio said:
http://nos.nl/video/525255-walsh-slaat-terug-in-avondetappe.html

"I can tell you now Armstrong will pay back more then 1,000,000 pounds to the Sunday Times"
Don't you love it when Walsh gets his Irish up. Reminds me of Barry Fitzgerald.

That "Yes, I did" "No, you didn't" back and forth reminded Monty Python's "Fish Licence" sketch.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I think USADA and Lance Armstrong should hold a public debate so this thing can be flushed out. It would give both sides the opportunity to put their point of view on the fairness or otherwise of the whole episode, and how it helps or does not help the sport.

A public debate would also be really fun to watch.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just to add. Both sides should be challenged by a neutral moderator force to sit down before the cameras. Maybe the New York Times could organize a panel? If anyone backed out, it would look really bad on them.

What do you say?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:
Just to add. Both sides should be challenged by a neutral moderator force to sit down before the cameras. Maybe the New York Times could organize a panel? If anyone backed out, it would look really bad on them.

What do you say?

It won't happen for both the two propositions you put. The USADA and, assuming it would be Tygart as their advocate, would slaughter Armstrong. Armstrong knows this, that is why he would never proceed.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:
I think USADA and Lance Armstrong should hold a public debate so this thing can be flushed out. It would give both sides the opportunity to put their point of view on the fairness or otherwise of the whole episode, and how it helps or does not help the sport.

A public debate would also be really fun to watch.

He had the opportunity when he could have contested his ban. There is good reason why he didn't contest it. So, Lance was the one that already backed out.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
darwin553 said:
It won't happen for both the two propositions you put. The USADA and, assuming it would be Tygart as their advocate, would slaughter Armstrong. Armstrong knows this, that is why he would never proceed.

You think? I don't know. A forum type debate may suit Armstrong. Or it may not. But if both sides are challenged to turn up - Tygart and LA - and either one turns it down, that would be very disappointing. They could never complain again.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Zweistein said:
He had the opportunity when he could have contested his ban. There is good reason why he didn't contest it. So, Lance was the one that already backed out.

That was a technical format about the code. A debate would be a wider forum for discussion about all the matters.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
veganrob said:
What is to debate? There is nothing to debate. The ball is in Armstrongs court, come clean and then we'll talk. Until then, nothing to talk about.

There are lot of things that need to be cleared up on both sides. People would like a wider discussion. If the remaining evidence is so damning, a debate would leave Tygart a good opportunity to set it out. If there were underhand dealings in how deals were struck by USADA in the case, Armstrong could put that across and have Tygart defend it. Then there is a wider issue about the sport - how the case has benefited the sport and what the situation is now.

Lots to debate. Stay tuned.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:
There are lot of things that need to be cleared up on both sides. People would like a wider discussion. If the remaining evidence is so damning, a debate would leave Tygart a good opportunity to set it out. If there were underhand dealings in how deals were struck by USADA in the case, Armstrong could put that across and have Tygart defend it. Then there is a wider issue about the sport - how the case has benefited the sport and what the situation is now.

What you are calling for isn't a debate, it is more like a hearing to test the veracity of the evidence. Natural justice was afforded to Armstrong; let us not forget he was invited to contest and challenge the findings and he chose not to and hence there isn't anything for him to 'debate' - he is GUILTY.

Jean-Luc Picard said:

Nice try.

Armstrong refused his chance and you know there were no 'underhand dealings' by USADA

Armstrong knows he doesn't stand a chance to refute anything in a public forum...he's the loser here.

...and you are a few months short of missing this boat

or on a return voyage

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
darwin553 said:
What you are calling for isn't a debate, it is more like a hearing to test the veracity of the evidence. Natural justice was afforded to Armstrong; let us not forget he was invited to contest and challenge the findings and he chose not to and hence there isn't anything for him to 'debate' - he is GUILTY.

That's NOT what I'm calling for. We know he broke the doping codes. He accepts that. But there is a hell of a lot more to discuss. It would be a post guilty debate, a kinda TRC. But it would also touch of the hot topics that both parties still hotly dispute, like the evidence over continued doping on the comeback, and the nature of how the USADA offered deals. It would probably largely be about if the sport has changed. I think it would be healthy since there is STILL a lot of lingering issues out there that periodically return. Still feels unresolved.

Anyway, I hope both sides would not chicken out if they really are confident.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Nice try.

Armstrong refused his chance and you know there were no 'underhand dealings' by USADA

Armstrong knows he doesn't stand a chance to refute anything in a public forum...he's the loser here.

...and you are a few months short of missing this boat

or on a return voyage

If Armstrong chickens out it would look bad on him for sure.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:
That's NOT what I'm calling for. We know he broke the doping codes. He accepts that. But there is a hell of a lot more to discuss. It would be a post guilty debate, a kinda TRC. But it would also touch of the hot topics that both parties still hotly dispute, like the evidence over continued doping on the comeback, and the nature of how the USADA offered deals. It would probably largely be about if the sport has changed. I think it would be healthy since there is STILL a lot of lingering issues out there that periodically return. Still feels unresolved.

Sorry but that's not how it happens - Armstrong doesn't get to mitigate the severity of the consequences he has endured the way that you have proposed.

However, even though Tygart has closed the door on him for the possibility of reducing his life-time competitive ban because Armstrong refused to engage with him, if Armstrong does come along and agree to be full and frank in his admissions about his, the team's and the sport's doping past then he may be able to reduce his competitive ban.

Jean-Luc Picard said:

Lance! Nice of you to drop by. Ignoring the rules because you don't like them again?

Call Tygart up and tell the whole doping story from the beginning with Carmichael, to Ferrari. Names, dates, places. You'll probably be prosecuted for various white collar crimes as a result, but that's how being a human in a society actually works. That other stuff you do is not it.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:

Hey look everybody, Lance showed up.

Edit: DirtyWorks beat me to it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:

1364916529-cool_story_bro._cool_story_bro_ba91c2_3376394.jpg

Jean-Luc Picard said:
We know he broke the doping codes. He accepts that.
Haha. Does he? Or, is he looking to ignore the rules for the 10,000th time to become the "Truth and Reconcilliation Champion."

Jean-Luc Picard said:
But there is a hell of a lot more to discuss. It would be a post guilty debate, a kinda TRC.

What exactly were you "found guilty" of exactly? Because USADA is an NGO.

And a debate too? Like there's some redeeming quality to a lifetime of doping and tyranny? Spare us all the Hooker with a Heart of Gold story. No debate. The hooker took many people's money and spread a wicked STD.

Jean-Luc Picard said:
But it would also touch of the hot topics that both parties still hotly dispute
Nope Lance. They got the story mostly right without you. You aren't the T&R champion. Suck it.

Jean-Luc Picard said:
....and the nature of how the USADA offered deals.
Lance, you are still sore at the riders you sh!t on for telling someone your sh!t stinks. You've got bigger problems than fomenting another USADA conspiracy.

Jean-Luc Picard said:
It would probably largely be about if the sport has changed. I think it would be healthy since there is STILL a lot of lingering issues out there that periodically return.
Lance, you aren't relevant. This is a non-starter. Confess to your white collar crimes, give USADA the full story and don't say another word again.

Jean-Luc Picard said:
Still feels unresolved.

Yeah, it is unresolved. A few people need to be tried for a long list of white collar crimes including you. It's unresolved alright. That's not what you meant?

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Some overexcited people here.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Lance should propose a debate. That would be silly. But if a reputable third party independently contacted Tygart and Lance and said, 'hey, guys, we would like to have a general discussion here, are you interested?', I think they should both jump at it.

That's all I'm saying.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Jean-Luc Picard said:
Some overexcited people here.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Lance should propose a debate. That would be silly. But if a reputable third party independently contacted Tygart and Lance and said, 'hey, guys, we would like to have a general discussion here, are you interested?', I think they should both jump at it.

That's all I'm saying.

I'm too busy shaving my taint to care.

TRENDING THREADS