• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TheInternet said:
The USA improved inch by inch up until 2011. Then somewhere between July 20th and August 11th, the USA stumbled upon the Jamaican formula and picked up a half second improvement.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
... In London they (USA) finally hit full stride in the dope arms race w/Jamaica, bombing their record down from 37.40 to 37.04...

Yes i found out too. Great year for sprinters. ;)

D-Queued said:
You missed my reference up thread.

Genes only express themselves in the most recent generation.

Your data confirms that Jamaicans have been able to advance their genetics at a spectacular rate compared to the overall human population.

Not only have they made great advances, but they have done this with a much shorter generational gap - moving to less than 10 years between generations.

These two factors confirm how superior the Jamaican genome is: higher generation:generation advancement, and shorter generation:generation spacing.

The third, and most impressive factor, is how they can share the genetic improvements through osmosis from one athlete to another.

You can see the high leg lifts expressed in Weir and Blake, both unrelated to Bolt.

If you are struggling to perceive this, it could be that something is wrong with your vision. Try correcting your eyesight with a combination of 3D glasses, beer goggles and a magnifying glass.

Everything should become very clear.

Dave.

So if i understand it right, the next improvement will be bigger and in a shorter time, like going down to 35.0 no later than 2015?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yes i found out too. Great year for sprinters. ;)

So if i understand it right, the next improvement will be bigger and in a shorter time, like going down to 35.0 no later than 2015?

Yes, exactly. We will see 100m times below 9s in Rio, and under 6s by 2020 once they discover the advantages of acceleration.

The final will be all Jamaican.

Dave.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Yes, exactly. We will see 100m times below 9s in Rio, and under 6s by 2020 once they discover the advantages of acceleration.

Dave.

I'm looking forward to a slower cadence where your steps are longer and subsequently you go faster for the same number of steps.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dave.

the big ring said:
I'm looking forward to a slower cadence where your steps are longer and subsequently you go faster for the same number of steps.

Hilarious. LMAO. :)

I guess you mean 3 jamaicans from Jamaica, since only 3 athletes are allowed per country. The rest of the superior jamaicans look for citizenship by naturalization in other countries. So we´ll have some natural gifted black sprinters from like Greenland & Turkmenistan ...

lol bbc from a review of the games.

before the age of bolt it was feared the 100m was turning into a chemical ally, olympic lanes of suspicous speed. But bolt in beijing made it pure theater, and now he was top billing

Jesus christ. So bolt proves 100m is clean by running faster than any dopers?

Why wasnt tyson gay proving it was clean?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I have very little to do and was bored, so thought I would make a ranking of athletics events by how close together the best times are. I took the athletes with the 5 best times ever set from each event and looked at the year they set their PB in. I then discarded the year that was furthest from the mean and took the variance of the remaining four. So, for the 200m, Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Michael Johnson, Walter Dix and Tyson Gay are the top 5 athletes with PBs set in 2009, 2011, 1996, 2011 and 2009 respectively. Clearly Johnson's 1996 time is the outlier, so I discard that, giving a variance of 1. These are most of the Olympic events, ranked by lowest to highest variance.

Event Var Avg of the years used
100m 0.50 2009
200m 1.00 2010
Marathon 1.19 2011
Shotput 1.19 1988
110m H 2.75 2008
Long jump 3.19 1989
High jump 4.19 1987
Javelin 4.25 1998
1500m 5.25 1999
Pole vault 8.19 1997
10000m 9.50 2003
5000m 10.69 2001
400m H 10.69 1995
4x100m 28.50 2008
4x400m 33.19 1998
400m 42.25 2002
Decathlon 44.50 1994
Trip jump 56.50 2003
Discus 56.75 1999
Hammer 63.69 2000
800m 136.69 2001

Discarding the value furthest from the mean was intended to prevent one brilliant athlete in a particular era from obscuring a general trend. For the relays, I looked down the list and took the best time which included no athletes from any time I had used above.

The most striking clusters of results are the shotput in the late 80s and 100m, 200m and marathon running in the modern day. Doesn't tell us that much we don't already suspect I suppose, but I found it quite interesting to do anyway.

Very interesting Caruut. Better than what i do with all my spare time.

Looking at the Javelin and 97 which was the Zaleznhy golden age I was just wondering a few days ago about wtf was up with Jan Zalezhny. He is to the Javelin what Jamaica and the US are to the 100m

Something like half of all the throws ever above 90m are by him and all 5 above 95m as well.

The one that won this year was 10% worse than Zalezhny world record - like if the 100m was won in 10.30 or something, though i understnad the Javelin is a bit different these days, Zalezhny also has to record for the new javelin even though he was old by then.

That kind of domination seems to me is what you might get if you put the most talented person in the world on a major drug programme, and then the sport goes clean.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
I have very little to do and was bored, so thought I would make a ranking of athletics events by how close together the best times are. I took the athletes with the 5 best times ever set from each event and looked at the year they set their PB in. I then discarded the year that was furthest from the mean and took the variance of the remaining four. So, for the 200m, Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Michael Johnson, Walter Dix and Tyson Gay are the top 5 athletes with PBs set in 2009, 2011, 1996, 2011 and 2009 respectively. Clearly Johnson's 1996 time is the outlier, so I discard that, giving a variance of 1. These are most of the Olympic events, ranked by lowest to highest variance.

Event Var Avg of the years used
100m 0.50 2009
200m 1.00 2010
Marathon 1.19 2011
Shotput 1.19 1988
110m H 2.75 2008
Long jump 3.19 1989
High jump 4.19 1987
Javelin 4.25 1998
1500m 5.25 1999
Pole vault 8.19 1997
10000m 9.50 2003
5000m 10.69 2001
400m H 10.69 1995
4x100m 28.50 2008
4x400m 33.19 1998
400m 42.25 2002
Decathlon 44.50 1994
Trip jump 56.50 2003
Discus 56.75 1999
Hammer 63.69 2000
800m 136.69 2001

Discarding the value furthest from the mean was intended to prevent one brilliant athlete in a particular era from obscuring a general trend. For the relays, I looked down the list and took the best time which included no athletes from any time I had used above.

The most striking clusters of results are the shotput in the late 80s and 100m, 200m and marathon running in the modern day. Doesn't tell us that much we don't already suspect I suppose, but I found it quite interesting to do anyway.

I had a look at the link to IAAF site you posted....
Lol @ womens records
GDR GDR GDR USSR China etc etc...... (some USA sssshhh is only dirty commies cheat)
most 20-30 years old and wont be broke in my lifetime 10k my favourite still fastest by 22 seconds how many years later :D where I buy me some turtle blood or was it soup I forget.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I guess in 2016 when the jamaican super power took place once and for all, the variance will be 0.00, since all the sprinters will run their 9.0 in that olympic year. ;)

Hitch, you get higher variance in high skilled competitions. That´s normal. That doesn´t mean i think Zeleznys record is dope free, but it´s certainly less dubious than Bolt´s.
Example: If you run a 14.4 in the 100 meters (= 33% below the WR) one might be average world wide among grown up men. Right in the middle of a bell curve.
OTOH, if you throw a football 57 yds (= 33% below the longest ever measured), you are just 3 yds shy of making it at least to college football (ok, you´d still need to posses accuracy).
Or if you can make a snooker break of 98 (= 33% below the perfect 147), i bet house & life you could earn a living in billard cafes.

In high skilled sports the bell curve is way more flat than in straight running (everybody can do that), thus leading to higher variances (just also have a look in the differences in decathlon´s different events, a perfect example too).

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
User Guide said:
Lol @ womens records
GDR GDR GDR USSR China etc etc...... (some USA sssshhh is only dirty commies cheat)
most 20-30 years old and wont be broke in my lifetime 10k my favourite still fastest by 22 seconds how many years later :D where I buy me some turtle blood or was it soup I forget.

I am still bored, so I will do a version for the women's records that I forgot the first time around. Watch this space.

EDIT: This is just tragically hilarious. http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/topl...n=0/sex=W/all=y/legal=A/disc=1500/detail.html. On further reading it gets even crazier - not one of the Chinese women with a PB in the top 200 times ever run set that PB outside of China.

EDIT2: The women's version seems to really fall foul of the limitations of variance as a measure of how much spread there is. There are often two peaks, leading to very high variation when in reality it may just be the same phenomenon repeating itself. Also, male champions seem to have been banned more often.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Caruut said:
I am still bored, so I will do a version for the women's records that I forgot the first time around. Watch this space.

EDIT: This is just tragically hilarious. http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/topl...n=0/sex=W/all=y/legal=A/disc=1500/detail.html. On further reading it gets even crazier - not one of the Chinese women with a PB in the top 200 times ever run set that PB outside of China.

Seems you miss the olympics, as i do. The freak show was better than nothing. :D

Yeah, you just remind me of that. They came, set the records, and were never seen again. Was a big story in athletics back in the 90s. Epo at its best. That´s as sure as it´s dark night in germany now. I guess something like that happens to chinese swimmers year in and year out.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Allow me to introduce Paul, an anti-doping volunteer at this year's olympic cycling event.

Paul said he was proud of his efforts in keeping the cycling competition clean and fair.

Paul indeed made a huge effort to catch the cheats.
Here is the comforting sight of Paul posing with the competitors:

3459554823.jpg

3898513349.jpg

1291468244.jpg

According to Paul,
“The best experience was being on the velodrome floor for Jason Kenny’s medal ceremony when he won gold.”

Read the full story:
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/paul-comes-clean-1-4829909

User Guide said:
Lol @ womens records

Did you miss Flo Jo's 100M & 200M World records set in 1988.
The women's track WRs from 100M up to 1500M are dirty along with the Women's 100 M Hurdles. The lesser said about the field events, the better.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Did you miss Flo Jo's 100M & 200M World records set in 1988.
The women's track WRs from 100M up to 1500M are dirty along with the Women's 100 M Hurdles. The lesser said about the field events, the better.

Jeter and pearson not that far off in 100m and hurdles respectively(what that says about them i dont know:rolleyes:)
3000m is funny too wr chinese,next best non chinese is over 15 seconds away 15 seconds over 3000m LOL
and yes lol@ field events
:( @ womens marathon I wanna believe as radcliffe always strong outspoken plus anyone who just pulls trolleys down in middle of a race and goes potty is a herione :D put my nationalistic goggles on and say see whats what in 10-15 years as still newish event for women:rolleyes:

May 21, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Though not directly related to 2012 Olympics I might as well post the link here.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/10/sport/chioma-ajunwa-nigeria-long-jump/index.html?hpt=iaf_t4.

Interesting interview conducted By CNN for the African Voices program with Nigerian Long Jumper Chioma Ajunwa, who won a Gold Medal in 1996 after a returning from a 4 yr ban for doping.

Why dosent Nigeria dominate sprints and the like?
Keep hearing about fast twitch muscles and west african body shape (lower centre of gravity etc) surely a country with such a large population should be producing more world class sprinters.40-50 times as many people as Jamaica.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

User Guide said:
Why dosent Nigeria dominate sprints and the like?
Keep hearing about fast twitch muscles and west african body shape (lower centre of gravity etc) surely a country with such a large population should be producing more world class sprinters.40-50 times as many people as Jamaica.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It definitely should. Leaving aside doping, matters the problem is Nigeria despite it's oil wealth is rife with corruption and has other poverty problems, so they haven't invested properly in Sports perhaps other than Football.
Francis Obikwelu was a top sprinter from Nigeria who went on to represent Portugal and won a Silver. I think Oyeptan woman running for GB is of Nigerian descent.
Nigerians have always being there or thereabouts in sprinting. You can usually find their teams in the relay finals and a couple of athletes in the latter rounds of the sprints.
They haven't just made the next step regarding investment in sports be it Genuine or Doping, be4cause they have so many other problems to sort out.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, genetics is why it is Jamaican sprinting not, say, Latvian sprinting that is able to rise to the top. The rewards in terms of finance and recognition are also important. Quite simply, sprinters in Jamaica are national heroes, but if you are confident of not testing positive then that motivation is often the motivation to use drugs.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
Allow me to introduce Paul, an anti-doping volunteer at this year's olympic cycling event.

“My role was to inform them that they had an important appointment with porcelain or to give blood.

Clearly his objectivity is clouded by his flamboyant fandom. When he "forgets" to inform Kenny of his doping control (for Queen and Country), WADA shrugs their shoulders and chooses the next poor sap on the list, first-round runner-up Kelemen. An exception to the rule: don't shoot the messenger.

TRENDING THREADS