• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official London Olympics Doping thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would not want to be on junk check duty for badminton. Evidently those two blokes are the Chinese women's team.

2012-08-01T092938Z_01_SIN61_RTRIDSP_3_OLY-BADM-DAY5.jpg

MMe Ou M.?

Mesdames, enlevez vos pantalons short ! Montre moites parties genitales

hotrats said:

People have doped in rowing. Off the top of my head about 6 years ago a Russian women's quad was disqualified, having won the world championships. But it's very rare. I am actually quite cynical by nature but when I see the evidence I have seen, doping in rowing does not stack up.

I've enjoyed reading this forum for quite a while. At its best I think it offers a fresh perspective on these issues not available elsewhere, given by people who know what they are talking about. That's why I felt I could contribute to this post. Posts on doping in cycling and other sports; I prefer to read the experts' ideas. At its worst, this forum consists of people seeing someone win something and post a 'rolleyes' face and write 'marginal gains lol' and call others naive.

Yes, there has been doping in rowing.

In fairness to the Russian crew, apparently they were using a saline drip in a no needle policy situation.

Unfortunately, like other areas of life, there has been both doping and cheating.

In FISA (International) races, it was standard for everyone to jump start and go at the 'P' of 'Pret' in Etes-vous pret? Partez! This is the same has going at the "M" of On your Marks, Go/Gun instead of waiting for the starting gun.

The Clinic would be screaming if Usain Bolt tried something like that.

In rowing, the rules were such that false starts were only awarded if you jumped ahead of other boats. The new start equipment has changed this.

There were crews busted in the 70s for using a drip apparatus for fluorocarbons. This extends the laminar flow and reduces the resistance in the water. Fluorocarbon waxes don't have the same effect.

Rowers will try dumb stuff, too. I remember one guy gorging on Orange peels. Then again, he never made an international crew (but he did almost win Nationals).

Before the women's events were switched to 2,000m length instead of 1,000m, various women's crews were getting really 'big'. Given the overlap with the steroids era, it is possible that there was some naughty business going on. Muscular strength is more important on short sprints like 500 or 1,000m.

While there isn't a lot of money in rowing, there is still enough money to experiment with sophisticated hydrodynamic boat designs, impact of rigging, and even oar blade geometries (Standard -> Macon -> Cleaver/Hatchett). Humans will always look for an edge.

images

All that said, there is still nothing in rowing that could conceivably compete with your fattie masters doper who takes EPO to win a Gran Fondo.

Dave.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hilarious :)

Article from dec 2011:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/12/olympic-boxing-azerbaijan?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

Olympic boxing fix claim against Azerbaijan 'groundless', says inquiry
• AIBA finds BBC's bribery claim 'completely without merit'
• Programme said $9m paid to fix results at London 2012

Fast forward to today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/02/olympics-boxing-satoshi-shimizu-appeal

A boxing referee from Turkmenistan was expelled from the London Olympics on Thursday for his handling of a bout in which the result was overturned on appeal.

In a bantamweight bout Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbaijan fell to the canvas six times in the third round against Satoshi Shimizu of Japan, yet still won a 22-17 decision.

I'm betting the BBC bribery claim had some merit after all :D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Spain's Olympic Committee does'nt want steeplechaser Angel Mullera to compete at the Olympics. An email exchange between Mullera and his trainer shows that he may of been doping or he may of been planning to do so.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_ATH_SPAIN_MULLERA?SECTION=HOME&SITE=AP&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

this is rather old news isn't it?

anyway, I'm skeptic, as usual.
are they also going after the canoers implied in the email?
one spanish canoer got bronze today.

would be interesting to know how they got the email.
operation galgo was also based on intercepted telephone calls and email traffic iirc.
the evidence was as strong as it gets in doping cases. yet we know how the 'operation' ended.

EDIT: am just finding out the spanish actually have some tradition in canoeing, at least in the post-1992 era.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Swimming world records continuing to fall isn't ? I mean imagine if people were hitting 36 minutes up Alpe.

That´s the hypocrisy... And just look at the 100-m-"Women" compared to the 80s. It´s disgusting. Or those brutal fixes in boxing & badminton the last couple of days.

Cycling might look bad, but we have yet to have a 15 yr old chinese boy destroying the competition up to Alpe.

Anyway, there was some bright spots today (even tough i think gymnastics shall have a minimum age). Now big jaws here :D:

11382600-essay.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
female german rower rumored to leave the olympics today after certain doping links have surfaced.
no doping positive, just doping links.
There'll be a press conference later today, so more news later.
But I already saw some German olympic official panicking on television a minute ago trying to save/trivialize the situation: "I cannot say much more now, just that every athlete is responsible for his own deeds", he said, whereas his eyes betrayed that the whole rowing team is doped to the jaws..eh..gills.

The Sheep said:
If diving wasn't allowed then there would never be any football tournament. :D

but even football players pretend to have been tackled and roll around in "agony" when they dive, or the tackler puts his hands up as if to say "me? never touched him!" :rolleyes:

Nobody except this idiot actually admits to cheating. And for those who think its in the rules, look again. The rule is for falling off at the start, not for taking a dive if its a slow start. That's not even "gamesmanship", its plain outright cheating. :mad:

Mind you, he is a German only pretending to be British, so we shouldnt expect him to act with any decency ;)

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
sittingbison said:
but even football players pretend to have been tackled and roll around in "agony" when they dive, or the tackler puts his hands up as if to say "me? never touched him!" :rolleyes:

Nobody except this idiot actually admits to cheating. And for those who think its in the rules, look again. The rule is for falling off at the start, not for taking a dive if its a slow start. That's not even "gamesmanship", its plain outright cheating. :mad:

Mind you, he is a German only pretending to be British, so we shouldnt expect him to act with any decency ;)

The look Chris Hoy was giving him when he was making that admission was priceless.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Jess Ennis 100m Hurdles - 12.54 lol

fastest 100m hurdles race by heptathlete

12.54 is the same time Dawn Harper ran in Beijing2008 to win the individual 100m hurdles

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
saosinfangirl said:
Jess Ennis 100m Hurdles - 12.54 lol

fastest 100m hurdles race by heptathlete

12.54 is the same time Dawn Harper ran in Beijing2008 to win the individual 100m hurdles

Yep, well that's...........nice for her.:)

TRENDING THREADS