• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Official Rest Day 2 Thread - Who Wins Polka Dots

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the King of the Mountains?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the GC contenders won't be taking (m)any points before the summit finishes. And even on the MTFs it's not certain they'll share top prizes. Can't see both altitude finishes going to the GC contenders. Not with UAE's approach so far. One at best.

yeah, that's unlikely for sure, but those two final climbs (80pt) still outscore all others left underway (65pt together), so it's not impossible. UAE will not do much of course, but teams like Movistar, EF and even Ineos risk finishing this tour with empty hands (no stage win + potentially no podium) if they don't chase down the break, so I'd say it's more likely those two stages are won by a GC guy.

yeah, that's unlikely for sure, but those two final climbs (80pt) still outscore all others left underway (65pt together), so it's not impossible. UAE will not do much of course, but teams like Movistar, EF and even Ineos risk finishing this tour with empty hands (no stage win + potentially no podium) if they don't chase down the break, so I'd say it's more likely those two stages are won by a GC guy.
Possible, possible...
The teams you've mentioned can look for consolation through the breakaways, too. I'll dare to say their chances are bigger that way.

Would 100% hate for Pogacar to win the KoM jersey. The battle is the best it's been in many years it would suck hard for it to go to a rider who doesn't really give a *** about it and only gets it cause the point system is so lopsided
As said, the only places Pog is likely to get points are the 2 MTFs (and probably not even them), so the max he's likely to get is 26 + 40x2 = 106.

Poels, and probably 1 of the other 3 lead contenders, is likely to be past 100 points by the foot of the Portet.

I am really, really happy to see a genuine, multi-rider contest, between some high-level competitors, for the polka dots for the first time in I don't know how long. Can anyone remember what the last time was that there was a proper competition like this?

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Movistar, EF and Ineos want to win stages in the final week, their best chance to do so is probably not to tow Pogacar to striking distance on a MTF. They'd be much better off putting Lopez/Valverde/Higuita/Porte in the break and try and do a deal with Poels/hope Kuss is working for Vingo for the rest of the race.

Reactions: yaco and SHAD0W93
I am really, really happy to see a genuine, multi-rider contest, between some high-level competitors, for the polka dots for the first time in I don't know how long. Can anyone remember what the last time was that there was a proper competition like this?

2012 Voeckler/Rolland/Kessiakoff was pretty good or 2011(?) with Charteau trying to hold on, but definitely not as high a level as we're seeing this year.

Just scrolled back to see if there's any obvious years I've missed but 2010s is almost all GC guys and then you're soon into Rasmussen's and Virenque's eras.

Enjoy it while it lasts folks! Hopefully it's a sign of things to come that 9th on GC isn't as valuable as the KOM anymore - sure to change if any of those teams get into WT licence trouble points-wise though.

Last year it was decided on the last mountain of the Tour. Doesn't get much closer than that.

2012 Voeckler/Rolland/Kessiakoff was pretty good or 2011(?) with Charteau trying to hold on, but definitely not as high a level as we're seeing this year.

Just scrolled back to see if there's any obvious years I've missed but 2010s is almost all GC guys and then you're soon into Rasmussen's and Virenque's eras.

Enjoy it while it lasts folks! Hopefully it's a sign of things to come that 9th on GC isn't as valuable as the KOM anymore - sure to change if any of those teams get into WT licence trouble points-wise though.
In fairness, Barguil in 2017 went for stage wins and the KOM, and in doing so pulled himself back into the top 10 on GC. He contested his 2 stage wins, plus his 2nd place, all against GC riders. Which is how you want the KOM to be decided really; we complain about the double points for final climbs, but the point of that is to not have someone go for the Polka Dots by cleaning up all the early points and cruising over the final mountain.

One of the best ones was actually Majka having to fight for 3rd place on Hautacam, and holding off Nibali by 13 points.

Last year it was decided on the last mountain of the Tour. Doesn't get much closer than that.
Yes, but between the white jersey who had picked it up as a by-product of contesting the GC, and a guy who pretty much picked up all his points on a single breakaway day in the last week, after his team leader went home. Neither of them were even trying for KOM points in the first 2 weeks; Carapaz had a total of 12 points after stage 16, and was behind such mountain goats as Geschke, Skuijins, Roche and Powless.

I think a Wout. By the way is Van Aert the most aggressive rider so far?

Based on km's in the breakaway, it's obviously the new Thomas De Gendt ;-)
(if PCS is somewhat correct)

#​
Name​
KM in first group​
KM before peloton​
Stages​
1VAN MOER Brent421484[4, 7, 12]
2VAN AERT Wout350478[7, 11, 15]
3BONNAMOUR Franck323466[1, 7, 15]
4ALAPHILIPPE Julian356454[11, 12, 14, 15]
5POELS Wout273444[8, 9, 14, 15]

For the polka dots, I went for Woods.
Van Aert could probably take it if he wanted, but I hope he doesn't want it and saves himself just a little bit for the Olympics.

Reactions: Publiuszam
The break was already gone when that happened. I checked.
It is a non-factor since Pogacar will win the jersey!!!
  1. They were a minute or 2 up the road at the time. Not an easy bridge, but the whole ISN team is still in the race, and Dan Martin has got across bigger gaps on his own.
  2. Nairo never even tried to get in the break. I can see a case for him going for the bang-for-buck option and targeting the Luz Ardiden stage, but there were points for grabs today.
  3. WvA was happy to attack in the final 40km when there were no points or nothing on offer.
  4. The polka dots should not be out the back on the Col de Port. Even Cosnefroy put up more of a fight last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The break was already gone when that happened. I checked.
It is a non-factor since Pogacar will win the jersey!!!
The only chance by KOM riders is if the break away sticks tomorrow. Poels, Quintana and Woods had no choice but to go in the breakaway tomorrow. Even if the fail there is no other way obviously.
Quintana and Poels tried to get some points today. Woods tried a different tactic trying to hold on in the front group. But failed as well.
At least we know what they will do tomorrow!