• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

****Official Riders Who Have Only One Won Race Thread***

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
In honor of Oli's big win in Lombardy today.

- Oliver Zaugg, 2011 Giro di Lombardia
- Sylwester Szmyd, 2009 Stage 5, Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré (Mont Ventoux)

How many others are there?

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, he had some minor wins, one stage win in Swiss, a nice polka dot jersey, but he just had his biggest victory of his life, likely the biggest victory he is ever going to get: Soler getting out of the hospital alive.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
JVS still the biggest feat.

PR is the biggest monster of the year, winning that was unbelievable.

JVS had already made the final split of roubaix before even tho he was working for hoste in 2009 but was silly enough to stop to help his team leader when fleacha fell and took hoste with him(also stopped pozzato who ended up coming second), he could have made the podium that year if he wasn't such a devoted domestique, he was far from being the surprise people claim he is.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Descender said:
Plenty. I assume you meant a big race.

Zaugg's win is indeed extremely WTF even compared to other upsets this year.

I'm talking anything remotely big, lets say anything big enough to be televised. Froome did win the 2009 Anatomic Jock Race and a stage at the Giro del Capo so he shouldn't count.

VDB2 I think counts even though he was the Junior Time Trial champ

According to Wikipedia TGBM has 3 wins from '06 and '07

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
JVS had already made the final split of roubaix before even tho he was working for hoste in 2009 but was silly enough to stop to help his team leader when fleacha fell and took hoste with him(also stopped pozzato who ended up coming second), he could have made the podium that year if he wasn't such a devoted domestique, he was far from being the surprise people claim he is.

regardless winning pr, for a rider who hasn't achieved a lot in regards to results is something special. Lombardy is at the end of the season, surprising results are not mind blowing.

So many riders peak for PR, its the biggest classic in the world.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
regardless winning pr, for a rider who hasn't achieved a lot in regards to results is something special. Lombardy is at the end of the season, surprising results are not mind blowing.

So many riders peak for PR, its the biggest classic in the world.

He'd already had a fifth and an eighth in the same race and as someone said would have podiumed if he hadn't done that 180 to stop for Hoste.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Daniel Navarro (pro since 2005) : Criterium du Dauphine, 5th stage, 11/06/2010

Volodymyr Gustov (pro since 2000) : Rothaus Regio-Tour, General classification, 10/08/2003

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
bicycle_rack said:
He'd already had a fifth and an eighth in the same race and as someone said would have podiumed if he hadn't done that 180 to stop for Hoste.

I'm aware, but he was always forced to work for someone. Even despite his good performances no one expected this victory. It was huge.

No one could see past boonen and canc for PR. Let alone JVS taking home the stone.

Again, for me the biggest feat of the season.

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Niky Roche.

Both Irish championships plus Bejing plus a stage at Limosin.

Survey says

family-feud-3-strikes.jpg%3Fw%3D455%26h%3D341

TRENDING THREADS