• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: le Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cadel has put his team to work at the base of the Cole du St. Bernadard du Touvet. He's got three guys up and working, whereas Contador and Valverde seem to have one each.

[edit]And Duggan away at the front and looking strong!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Duggan is riding himself in to Garmin's TDF squad right about now.

Did Valverde always climb in that huge gear? He climbs like Ullrich.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Jasper said:
or maybe Evans is planning on an ultimate attack for the yellow jersey?
And there he goes! :D

Contador looking awfully strong though, jumped to his wheel as if it were nothing. The difference with Mont Ventoux is immense.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Valverde just WILL NOT let him go. I feel kind of sorry for Evans, like he deserves to get away.

[edit]And Valverde just acknowledged that Contador has been working for him.

A

Anonymous

patswana said:
If you believe Contador is either clean or the same level of "dirty" as the rest of the peloton, then I have a bridge to sell you!

the idea that the sport might be clean now with just the odd guy getting busted, and that the testing programs might be working is just not tolerated here.!! :eek:

i can't find a live feed today.
anybody know of one?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
YES... Clement wins the stage! That must consolidate a spot on the team in France in July....

no doubt

strong for the ttt, improved in the mountains...

so far i'd say:

menchov
gesink
ten dam
clement
garate
flecha
freire
tankink
niermann/posthuma/moerenhout/weening

many people think tankink isn't going to make the selection, but he's a commercial goldmine in holland.

/ontopic:

evans seems to realize he will have to attack if he wants to win the tour. contador didn't look really impressed.
gesink was the only one constantly hanging on with the 'big 3'. if he can improve a little before the tour he might upset a tired menchov.

patswana said:
Contador won the '08 Giro, beating Ricco & Sella, both of whom later tested positive to CERA. After they tested positive, there were many calls to test the '08 Giro samples retrospectively. This would potentially have caught Contador, who won it without even training for it properly.
The Giro organisers announced in quick succession two things:
1. Armstrong would ride the Giro in '09.
2. There would be no further testing of the '08 samples.
That is why Contador owes Armstrong.

You can ignore what Bruyneel says. He prefers Armstrong and owes his fame and fortune to him. We know he is not that smart. He thinks being a clever tactician is telling people Contador is the team leader but then surprising us with Armstrong being the #1 on the team. The only thing that will stop this is Armstrong not being competitive.

Really? - so LA now decides who gets busted and who passes?I know for sure he's as corrupted and dirty as the UCI & they work together-but the retroactive testing for 08 Giro was a no go since the beginning to avoid further embarrassment from more Italians getting busted.
As far as Contador's victory in that Giro-actually it was the winning of it that brought so much credit & new level to Astana in the aftermath of the TDF exclusion- so I view this as Astana & Bruyneel OWING Contador last year's Calendar.
BTW-Where did U get that information from? perhaps a PS page?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
no doubt

strong for the ttt, improved in the mountains...

so far i'd say:

menchov
gesink
ten dam
clement
garate
flecha
freire
tankink
niermann/posthuma/moerenhout/weening

many people think tankink isn't going to make the selection, but he's a commercial goldmine in holland.

You are probably right about Tankink. He has great entertainment value for the dutch audience, and I think he is quite popular in the team. It's going to be difficult to determine the last rider then, because of team tactics, the compostion of a well balanced team (in and out of the race) as well as preferences of the captains of the team.

From reading Gesink's blog, he seems to be rather close with Nierman the germinator, and who often is his room mate. Niermann also seems to have a good impact on the team's spirit. Moerenhout I think was Landis' lieutenant in 2006, has quite some experience as a superdomestique and is on form (tour of Belgium), especially in the TTs (he mentioned that the Giant TT bikes are amazing, whereas before he often had some problems with the TT material). Posthuma has shown some good things this year (de Panne; Ruta del Sol), although his TT in the dauphine was only OK. Weening is commonly considered to be the better climber, but I always have had my doubts about him.

Menchov seems to have a preference for Spanish speaking team mates, and I heard that in the Giro he requested the support of Ten Dam, Ardila, Kozuntchuk, and Horillo. He could have some say in the compostion of the team as well. I think it is between Moerenhout and Nierman.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to get off topic here and talk about the Dauphine. : )

It seems to me that Contador was making some friends today for the Tour in July? It was obvious when he countered Evans' attacks that he could have gone right past him but he always looked back for Valverde. Who's going to be Caisse's GC guy in July? Wonder how they'll feel about their team working for him and Alberto? : )

It was great to see Evans give it a go. I just wonder if it was too much, too often.

Hmm, I guess I talked about the Tour as much as the Dauphine. Dang it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Menchov seems to have a preference for Spanish speaking team mates, and I heard that in the Giro he requested the support of Ten Dam, Ardila, Kozuntchuk, and Horillo. He could have some say in the compostion of the team as well. I think it is between Moerenhout and Nierman.

no tankink!

Bram Tankink (photo, right) runs this year the Tour de France. This confirmed Rabobank Sunday against Infostrada Sports. "He has a lack of match rhythm. The Tour is too early for him. " Tankink, on Saturday to hear the bad news was heard in the preliminary selection of twelve riders.

"He is a long time been the rotation by an operation on his buttocks," said team leader Erik Breukink his choice through the spokesman of the team. Tankink did the last four years in La Grande Boucle.

Rabobank must consist of five riders still to appoint three men to start on July 4 in Monaco. The candidates are: Koos Moerenhout, Joost Posthuma, Pieter Weening, Grischa Niermann and Stef Clement. The last confirmed his good form Sunday in the eighth stage of the Dauphine Libere to win. "The opportunities for Clement seem very good."

Rabobank points after the Tour of Switzerland in the final nine drivers. Laurens ten Dam, Robert Gesink, Oscar Freire, Denis Mentsjov, Juan Antonio Flecha and Juan Manuel Garate had been assured Tour Participation.

clement, moerenhout, niermann i guess

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
jackhammer111 said:
the idea that the sport might be clean now with just the odd guy getting busted, and that the testing programs might be working is just not tolerated here.
As long as riders and their teams can make millions of dollars from a big win:
As long as dodgey doctors can make millions supplying the products:
As long as the UCI keep denying the problems:

People who hate to lose will find ways to cheat.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It was nice to see Evans finally attacking, but you can almost sense that he isn't used to attacking in the climbs. He was trying to attack off the front, when both Valv and Contador could easily see him going and then match the pace immediately. Contador was just toying with him.

Dedelou said:
was it only me , or did this dauphinee lack a bit of panache?

I quite enjoyed it - Valverde on Ventoux was pretty cool and Evans trying to mix it up... pretty good really.

Certainly better than when Vino used it as a training ride a couple of years ago - the race was a farce.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
ndpuck said:
It was nice to see Evans finally attacking, but you can almost sense that he isn't used to attacking in the climbs. He was trying to attack off the front, when both Valv and Contador could easily see him going and then match the pace immediately. Contador was just toying with him.

He had no choice. AV & AC forced him to ride in the front.

TRENDING THREADS