• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Paris-Roubaix

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I was surprised by how strong Hushovd was and by his presence in the front group. Even if he'd made it to Roubaix with Boonen I think he would've been spent come the sprint.
It was obvious that Pozzato just didn't have, as anyone would expect, the horsepower to chase Boonen alone but at least he was riding in a more positive decorum compared to RVV.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
amatoer said:
I think hushovd could give Boonen a battle to the front if i have not lost the race in the left turn.
I think that this race give a advatage to Boonen with all the people in the road trying to stop the contenders to Boonen.

I hope that the race leaders trying to do somthing with this next year.:)

you need to watch the race with your eyes open. Just check out this picture and let us now who helped Hushovd back on his bike.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races09/rbx09/rbx09-thor.jpg

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Would agree that Hushovd didn't look as fresh towards the end. We'll never know how that final sprint might have gone.

In any case, a classic P-R. Boonen didn't win it as much as he was the first person to survive it.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
TrapperJohn said:
Would agree that Hushovd didn't look as fresh towards the end. We'll never know how that final sprint might have gone.

In any case, a classic P-R. Boonen didn't win it as much as he was the first person to survive it.

If you look in the turn when flecha went down you will see that hushovd was the man who tried to go. i have never seen hushovd so fit after 250k.

the funny thing is that none in int.press thought before the race that hushovd could be top 3. but in norway he was.

He have not ever been in such form as this year.

it took hushovd 45 sek to get on his bike that is 15 sek longer than bonen used to change bike. i wonder why? in the picture it look like the chain is of.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
you need to watch the race with your eyes open. Just check out this picture and let us now who helped Hushovd back on his bike.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races09/rbx09/rbx09-thor.jpg
if you see just before the turn spectators holding flag in front of hushovd.
hushovd have his own fan club in belgia !! . Possato say that the throw beer at him....

in this race we got 10 spectators injured .safety for raders and spectators should be set higher.

TrapperJohn said:

Hushovd said himself that he was feeling very strong and had no problems following Boonen. Had he not fallen he was sure that it would have been a sprint between them in the velodrome and there anything could have happened.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
amatoer said:
it took hushovd 45 sek to get on his bike that is 15 sek longer than bonen used to change bike. i wonder why?
Because Hushovd's crash was not planned, while Boonen's bike change had been planned for a few kilometres.

Very enjoyable, reading back over all the comments during & after the race. Unfortunately, had to work so only seen the last hour later on Eurosport. I tried to avoid finding out the result beforehand so avoided cycling websites. Instead went on BBC but amazingly 'Boonen wins Paris-Roubaix' was one of the headlines on the sports pages, Dammed increased popularity of cycling in UK.

Still highly enjoyable watch as always, had the pleasure of living in Tournai just over the Belgian border last year so went over and cycled the cobbles a few times, mostly from Bourghelles to Carrefour d'larbe. Was trying to explain to my Dad that cycling the cobbles was a lot harder than it looked on TV, they make it look so easy, even more respect for them now. I almost always came to a stop on some sections.

Would have been an even more fantastic finish if they had all stayed upright...mais, cest Paris-Roubaix, j'adore!!

BigBoat said:
That was a boring Finale. If you love him then it was a great viewing experience.

Yep, just as boring as Cancellara's win or O'Grady's win. Or Devolder's two Rondes. ;)

These are actually the finishes I like best in all classics, where one guy is off the front by himself and puts in a huge effort to win it, especially if that one guy has displayed his strength throughout the race.

But I do like Boonen, so maybe I'm biased. Then again, I also like Pippo, Hushovd, and Van Summeren.