• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - Stage 12 • Tonnerre - Vittel • 211,5 km

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Official thread - Stage 12 • Tonnerre - Vittel • 211,5 km

1355353293.png

If there aren't numerous breakaway attempts on this terrain...well, I give up. Even non-climbers should be able to deal with this lot and I expect a group of rather more than two or four to head off down the road. Please God that we get a race, and that Cav does not win again.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
If there aren't numerous breakaway attempts on this terrain...well, I give up. Even non-climbers should be able to deal with this lot and I expect a group of rather more than two or four to head off down the road. Please God that we get a race, and that Cav does not win again.

Actually I would like to see him win again. He and his team deserved the wins yesterday and today. If the other teams won't shape up, he should win again.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame the 3rd cat climb isn't a lot closer to the finish. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Boonen can make something happen.....

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Actually I would like to see him win again. He and his team deserved the wins yesterday and today. If the other teams won't shape up, he should win again.

I don't dislike Cav or his team, I'm just bored rigid with the predictability of it all and I'd really like to see a decent sized group get a big lead and manage to keep it...maybe someone like Moncoutie could sneak away, he's hardly a GC threat...or indeed, even Boonen, who actually managed to finish 16th today. :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
fairly bumpy route, maybe a break?? In reality it will probably be another Cav win, the only men that have the speed to beat him have no form (Boonen, Bennati, Haussler.) Farrar will probably nip him eventually, but Hushovd is showing a lack of power, Cav is just embarassing him. Also, watch out for Hutarovich of FDJ, great young talent who finished thing on stage 11.

Amsterhammer said:
1355353293.png

Why is on every climb written CLIMB??? I think this is Tour de FRANCE not UK????

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
5x3=15 and 1x4=4. Total 19 points if I am not mistaken. Perhaps Pellizotti, who seemed to have made his intentions clear today, will be in the break together with Martinez... Van Avermaet wanted to have a go at the no-radio race, so he'll be in it.

Perhaps we have been spoilt too much the last months, with Paris Nice, the Giro and the Dauphine... They could have run out of fireworks

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
i say Martinez goes in a break again if nothing else to build on his KOM points
You can be sure a Skil rider goes with him, and maybe David Miller, add a couple or 3 domestiques and you could have a break that sticks after the climb. Probably one of the teams that see time running out for them. Katusha is probably getting desperate like Cofidis, also Boonen not being able to pull the trigger QS might send a rider in the break as well. Maybe even Ballan goes in a break, if not i imagine he drops out by the rest day from some condition.It is uncharacteristic for the current WC to be missing in action.
I also would not be surprised to see Cancellara bridge across to a break if it has the right players.
And if things are animated early which they could be, don't be surprised for Armstrong to bridge to a break. Could be a day for multiple breaks that come together after the cat 3 climb a perfect situation for LA to gain yellow:eek:

runninboy said:
i say Martinez goes in a break again if nothing else to build on his KOM points
You can be sure a Skil rider goes with him, and maybe David Miller, add a couple or 3 domestiques and you could have a break that sticks after the climb. Probably one of the teams that see time running out for them. Katusha is probably getting desperate like Cofidis, also Boonen not being able to pull the trigger QS might send a rider in the break as well. Maybe even Ballan goes in a break, if not i imagine he drops out by the rest day from some condition.It is uncharacteristic for the current WC to be missing in action.
I also would not be surprised to see Cancellara bridge across to a break if it has the right players.
And if things are animated early which they could be, don't be surprised for Armstrong to bridge to a break. Could be a day for multiple breaks that come together after the cat 3 climb a perfect situation for LA to gain yellow:eek:

I was thinking Martinez and maybe even Moncoutie although I think he is looking for some next week.
Chavanel a chance?
If they get out to a bit of a break i would like to see them hold on for a change, last 2 stages have been exactly the same and I think we need to see a break stick.

It rolls, rather than climbs.

More tosseuring along for the bunch.
Ag2r and Columbia chug chugging along.
I think even the usual entusthiasm and need to show in a breakaway, is starting to fade, when the riders get up each morning and study these profiles.

Tomorrow? Well, that does promise more, even with the compulsory downhill to flat finish. The weather forcast is not good, either. Wet decending could give some guys a breakaway edge.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure why AG2r are on the front aside from getting publicity for the sponsors, but they are doing that by having the yellow jersey, as none of the riders in the break are a threat to Nocentini. Better of saving their energies when the roads goes uphill in the Alps.

I say Ballan tries today. He seems to be just about the only Lampre guy who would be capable of stage win and there are many more suitable stages for him after this one. Surely they've gotta try and get something out of this Tour?

Doesn't look like a stage for Moncoutie. Tomorrow much more so.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I wouldn't have picked Lampre for the Tour. Aside from Ballan, they don't have anybody capable doing much.

Totally agree but there weren't many others they could invite - with Fuji-Servetto and Barloworld being blacklisted. It would have meant inviting 4 Pro-Continental teams ahead of a Pro-Tour team including the World Champion.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Connor Pass said:
Totally agree but there weren't many others they could invite - with Fuji-Servetto and Barloworld being blacklisted. It would have meant inviting 4 Pro-Continental teams ahead of a Pro-Tour team including the World Champion.

Cipo never got invited when he was World Champion. I would have invited BMC myself.

TRENDING THREADS