• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread - Stage 13 • Vittel - Colmar• 200 km

Official thread - Stage 13 • Vittel - Colmar• 200 km

gr177436copy_600.jpg

Vaughters thinks this is good for Freire.

But, they are tired from today's stage. This one should really cause some hurt. I predict some selection on Schlucht Pass, shredding on Platzerwassel and an attack on FirstPlan. If Sastre, Evans, Wiggins or Schleck can't do it here, I don't think it's going to happen at all.

It's a 20k descent, but a gap of one minute or more should hold to the end.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Glad someone else started the topic. ;)

Like the different color scheme too. I'm still hoping for a monster solo escape by Moncoutie going up to the Schlucht. None of the big boys will worry about him and it's too far from home for any contenders to try anything.....unless....riders like Menchov, Evans and Sastre grow some serious cojones and decide on a glory or bust mission. :D

Amsterhammer said:

Like the different color scheme too. I'm still hoping for a monster solo escape by Moncoutie going up to the Schlucht. None of the big boys will worry about him and it's too far from home for any contenders to try anything.....unless....riders like Menchov, Evans and Sastre grow some serious cojones and decide on a glory or bust mission. :D
Thanks. It's high time we start the anticipation for this one! Who makes it sticky?

Anyway, Evans and SchleckLite tried to escape today - along with LL. What was that about? Evans said it softened everyone's legs for today. Especially his. :rolleyes:

But if they tried today, they should definitely try tomorrow.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know why the tour section of the main site has changed to using these different coloured profiles? Now I get really annoyed when people complain about anything changing but isn't the last climb a cat 2 not a cat 1 as stated in the new funny coloured profile?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
One of the fantastic four, the stretchy elastic dude, seems to be injured. His wrist and his back hurt. The tendentiousness of the report is palpable, since it questions if he can start tomorrow...

I am hurt

Bala Verde said:
One of the fantastic four, the stretchy elastic dude, seems to be injured. His wrist and his back hurt. The tendentiousness of the report is palpable, since it questions if he can start tomorrow...

I am hurt

His own Tweet:

&quot said:
I'm ok folks, wrist hurts but not broken, lost some skin, it couldve easily been much worse. Not sure what happened? All I remember is. .

Seeing the curb coming and thinking it was game over. I'm happy to hear @mickrogers is ok too

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
two things:

1. liephiemer getting hurt probably sucks more for lance than it does for alberto. in the event of an astana civil war, i feel like levi was solidly on lance's side.

2. if no gc contender attacks tomorrow, if there is no selection, i don't even know if i can make it to annecy and ventoux.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:

i like your tactic.. tip moncoutie every day and eventually he will win..

ilillillli said:
two things:

1. liephiemer getting hurt probably sucks more for lance than it does for alberto. in the event of an astana civil war, i feel like levi was solidly on lance's side.

2. if no gc contender attacks tomorrow, if there is no selection, i don't even know if i can make it to annecy and ventoux.
Well, Lance can only blame himself for jinxing him on Twitter.

lancearmstrong said:
Mornin'. Sunny here (wherever I am). Long(er) stage today. No crashes please! Conor Oberst on the ipod.
@levileipheimer had a crash with 3k to go. I hope he's ok. About to go visit him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
i like your tactic.. tip moncoutie every day and eventually he will win..

You got me sussed. He's in my Tour game squad :D

Seriously, he's French, he can do lengthy solos and can climb well as long as the climbs aren't monsters, this should be right up his street.

mambo#5 said:
is Limpheimer going to lose time in this stage due to his injuries?

Could we please call people by their proper names, at least in this forum?

(With the exception of 'Schleklet', because that's not derogatory, just cute!);)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Rain tomorrow could also play it's part.
I seem to recall the decent off the Firstplan is pretty tricky, before the run into Colmar.

So who is the best 'wet weather descender with TT ability afterburner'. Chance Evans? Pelli ahead and Nibali from the elite pack? Lonely Linus? What about the diesel from Cottbus, since we are closing in on the German speaking region. I hope Jens will make my day.

We all know Leipheimer will go down like a deflated balloon, and with his wrist injury he could be in for a toughy tomorrow. Armstrong however could jump over Mr Contador, as I don't think he likes the rain too much...

Too bad for Riis, he commented that he didn't like the TdF so far either, too little action. I think he might have to reconsider his tactics tomorrow with the Schleques...

Amsterhammer said:
You got me sussed. He's in my Tour game squad :D

Seriously, he's French, he can do lengthy solos and can climb well as long as the climbs aren't monsters, this should be right up his street.

Hey ... that's been my tactic too! Dammit I know he'll succeed one of these days. If he still has any designs on the polka dot jersey then today is the day to make a move as both Pellizotti and Martinez burned a fair bit of gas yesterday.

For me supporting Moncoutie is as much the heart as the head. As one of very few riders who is universally acknowledged to have always been clean through the last ten years, I do wonder what he might have been able to achieve on a level playing field.

The fact that Moncoutie's climbing results have improved in the last four years (past 30yo, when one might expect decline) gives me some confidence that doping has reduced at least a bit. But that's a subject for another forum ...

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:

although to be fair so could charles trenet..

im i the only one starting to get annoyed by the downward bit at the end.. :/

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Rain tomorrow could also play it's part.
I seem to recall the decent off the Firstplan is pretty tricky, before the run into Colmar.

Rain would be a cool addition. I see there is a chance, so lets all do a little rain dance. Tired of the little divas only being able to complain about ridiculous issues. Lets see some hardship. I want torrential downpour and an epic stage. Here's to hoping.

Of course if it is raining too hard, I am sure Astana will try to instigate a rider protest...

Lance is expecting a tough day but no big changes in Stage 13:

The race heads back into the high mountains tomorrow, but Armstrong isn't expecting Friday's 13th stage to make a big difference.

Instead, Armstrong said, he is looking three days down the road to the 207.5 kilometre stage to Verbier and its mountaintop finish to be the decisive day. The seven-time Tour de France winner is eight seconds away from the leader's yellow jersey after 12 days of racing.

"Tomorrow is hard, it is a real stage. The Platzerwasel climb is difficult, even if it is a long way from the finish. But I don't think we will see a change until Verbier," Armstrong said Thursday morning.

Armstrong is third overall behind leader Rinaldo Nocentini and 2007 winner, Astana teammate Alberto Contador. Astana has two other men in the overall: Levi Leipheimer (at 39") and Andreas Klöden (at 54"). He leads rivals like 2008 winner Carlos Sastre by nearly three minutes and Giro d'Italia champion Denis Menchov by almost five.

"Some might think that the race is finished for Menchov, but you have to keep an eye on him. If he gains some time in the Alps he could present a problem on Mont Ventoux. I would put Carlos Sastre, the Schleck brothers [Fränk and Andy] and Cadel Evans in one category, clearly they are the most dangerous rivals. The others are just behind."
www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-eyeing-alps-for-aggression

count me among those REALLY looking forward to tomorrow; these tend to be my favorite stages of any tour. too often the 'BIG' mountains scare riders into submission, while the so called smaller mountains on the menu as in tomorrows stage are tough enough to be selective yet 'doable' enough to be very unpredictable. too bad it's not a mountaintop finish, but at least it's right at the bottom. An intrepid attacker who is a great descender could really make some time...

Agree that the profiles shown don't seem to give a true picture of theterrain between the climbs, but at first glance this sucker really does seem to be pure up and down, which should make for some great racing.

Rain would indeed make it epic... in any event, finally, FINALLY, the real Tour is beginning. Hope the reality lives up to the expectations!!

A

Anonymous

Is there a profile of the final climb. It has to be pretty hard considering its relative shortness. Since cyclingnews changed their format, they provide less information than they used to. Maybe I will check the official website.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Rain would be wonderful. Pain and suffering, man against nature. Epic.:cool:

but not very fair on frank.. :(

shall we have a sweep on who will be first contender to fall tommoro.. im gonna take the gimme and go with menchov.. :D

as for serious things.. im gonna take a punt and wiggins to get yellow tommoro with a time trialling breakaway with a few K to go.. im not sure the main gc contenders take him seriously yet so they may be willing to let him have it for a few days..

TRENDING THREADS