• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread: TdF Stage 10, Limoges - Issoudun 194.5 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2009
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Well it does to Levi and Bradley, I saw at least 3 similar line crossing before this one and they were not penelized, just before Armstrong was the last one, and first was between Farrar and Duque.

When you're looking at gaps, look at the time, not distance. Take the speeds of the riders into account.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Sprint finishes on twisty run ins always cause the peloton to string out into a line and make it very hard to move up and easy to split, the Ds's should have let thier riders know to be up front for the final, if they didn;t they shouldn't be DS's. If riders knew this and were caught out it's their own fault they all know the 1 second rule.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
My Dutch is Sh*te, but I think they are reporting Kurt-Asle Arvesen has withdrawn as a result of his crash, today.

That's what I heard on the evening show that just ended. More work for the Schlecks then.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Time gaps & no radios

Yes, the gaps are checked by photo-finish and no the teams probably won't complain because it looks legit. A stupid error but it happens all the time and as there doesn't seem to be any sneaky intent. Besides it's the teams own fault that the riders have been riding "piano" most of the day - they can't gripe.

If the managers insist on throwing the "dummy out of the pram" about the lack of radios they won't expect much sympathy from the commissaires.

Personally I liked the stage, I wasn't really sure the radio ban would make a positive difference but it was nice to see Cav's team working well without "fly-by-wire".

It'll take time for the no radio thing to sink in but in the long run it will open up the racing. It's not as if the riders didn't have ear-pieces, they could hear the radio-tour and all the time gaps and safety warnings (some of them probably enjoyed the absence of bleating manager talking crap...).

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Another total yawn-fest, with that cocky arrogant punk winning again!

Along those lines, when are the other teams going to realize that grabbing Cavs wheel and hoping to come around IS NOT WORKING!!! How about getting your own train and hitting him up the other side, early - ANYTHING! Rediculous strategy, and boring lifeless racing by this peleton!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I don't know enough about cycling, but I'm surprised that no-one is even looking at Tyler Farrar's riding in the last k. When he tried to slot in behind Cavendish, Hushovd held his spot, leading to the whole sprinting line moving over just as the corner approached, which then lead to a sharp correction about 50m before the right hand turn, which lead to the whole peleton being off balance, and was almost certainly the cause of the crash of the Katshua rider.

In my mind, even as I was watching it, I thought Farrar would be kicked out, but he hasn't been. Can anyone help me out as to why this is the case?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Buninyong Bunny said:
Maybe I don't know enough about cycling, but I'm surprised that no-one is even looking at Tyler Farrar's riding in the last k. When he tried to slot in behind Cavendish, Hushovd held his spot, leading to the whole sprinting line moving over just as the corner approached, which then lead to a sharp correction about 50m before the right hand turn, which lead to the whole peleton being off balance, and was almost certainly the cause of the crash of the Katshua rider.

In my mind, even as I was watching it, I thought Farrar would be kicked out, but he hasn't been. Can anyone help me out as to why this is the case?
Wasn't that Dean?

Amsterhammer said:
The 15 seconds have been officially rescinded by the jury.

Anyone see the video on the gap? I suspect this was a case of letting the spirit of the rule overrule the letter. Given the tight confines of the finishing section, a lack of a one second gap would be relatively extraordinary.

TRENDING THREADS