• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread TdF Stage 14 Colmar - Besançon - 199 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Danilot said:
Rather stupid Lotto and, especially, Garmin. Vaughters' team had no reason to chase, maybe they did it out of spite for constantly being outperformed by Columbia?
that was my guess... but silence lotto is a mystery to me

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
sometriguy said:
Payback for what, my memory fails me?

Stage 8? Evans attacked the group and caused a breakaway group. Hincapie and Cancellara joined it and then got upset at Evans being in the group and forced him out of it.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Columbia would not have stepped on the gas in the last two K...

Idiots.

honestly I think George himself could have done more in the last 5k. The chase was disorganised. Instead of trying to wait and reorganise the chase group I think he should have attacked and gone all out the last couple of kilometers. That could have made up the 5 second difference. He shouldnt have relied on the chase group. Thats what I would have done.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree with both sides. George, perhaps, should have just gone all out for 3K and tried to save time. But......Columbia should not have pegged the final 2K! Cav could have sat on Hushovd and sprinted against him, and what on earth was Astana and Garmin doing?!?!?!? Farrar didn't even contest the sprint!

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
If Columbia would not have stepped on the gas in the last two K...

Idiots.

The funny thing was to see Garmin pulling in the last 5K. I think that Columbia's bravado sometimes comes back to bite you in the a$$. I like George, but I think it is funny actually. You go around talking shit about other teams and being dismissive of them and they may very well get revenge. You reap what you sew.

All Astana really did was keep it close...for no real reason that I can see, but still, they didn't pull it back. I don't understand AG2R not being forced to pull earlier, but I can see where Garmin would have motivation to do what they did in the last few KM.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Wolfpengap said:
I agree with both sides. George, perhaps, should have just gone all out for 3K and tried to save time. But......Columbia should not have pegged the final 2K! Cav could have sat on Hushovd and sprinted against him, and what on earth was Astana and Garmin doing?!?!?!? Farrar didn't even contest the sprint!

Garmin hate Columbia and vice versa. It was an opportunity for them to get one back over Columbia and frankly I don't blame them.

If I were he, I'd be more pissed at Garmin, than Uncle Lance.

Yep, that was a bit of a nail biter, counting down that clock.
Poor old George. Once again so near, but yet so far.
Still, instead of farting around, sitting on wheels, after Ivanov was long gone...

He should have said, "gosh darn" and stuck his head down, train style.
I'm sure he had 5 seconds in the tank.
The ES pros seem to agree with this
Columbia gave Big Thor the second opportunity to have a "moan", at somebody at the finish, in two days. Nice boxing, Cav!

TRENDING THREADS