• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: Tour de Romandie

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Romandie predictions

OK folks,

I put my bits on the table earlier today writing the preview for the Tour de Romandie - it's time to back them up out in the wild world of the forum!

Cancellara's a no-brainer bet for my mind. Think Tirreno last year, etc... Although it's not 2008 any more (Must change that calendar) and time's have a changed.

As I said in the preview, I think Cadel will be amongst the action - he's ridden pretty well this year, and his head's in the right space. I fancy his chances and hope he does well.

Kreuziger and Dekker are podium material for sure, while I'll be keeping fingers, toes and everything else crossed for Monsieur McEwen to take a stage.

Romandie top 5:

1. Fabian Cancellara
2. Cadel Evans
3. Roman Kreuziger
4. Thomas Dekker
5. Konstantin Sioutsou

Feel free to bag the living bejesus outta me if I'm totally off the mark.

Over and out,
Les

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Impressive by Rabon. Is he doing the Giro? Maybe an outsider for the final time trial?
And Columbia should be strong in the TTT as well, Rabon, Løvkvist, Hagen, maybe Rogers?, and Cavendish is above average against the clock.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think its an interesting one. Most probably someone looking desperately for results - Cancelarra is not a bad bet! Sandy Casar, De la Fuente, Cobo, Kruziger, lots of odd names that just might scrape through ffor a result.

I'm going to say...

1) Sandy Casar
2) Menchov
3) Valverde
4) Cadel Evans
5) Kreuziger

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The TTT stage is going to be very desisve for the final GC, so this is my top 5

1. F. Rabon ( strong TTT team, no montian finish)

2. A. Valverde ( good TTT team , many stages thats suits him well )

3. Kreiuziger ( Good rider, good TTT team )

4. C. Evans ( poor TTT team.)

5. a. Moos ( always top 10 in GC )

Herman said:
4. C. Evans ( poor TTT team.)

I wouldn't exactly call Silence-Lotto a poor TTT team. Seb Lang, Evans himself, Gilbert in super form, Wegelius (who's been a part of many succesfull Liquigas TTT's in the giro), a young Pieter Jacobs in good form and Van Den Broeck, who has to show us that his giro TT's a couple of years a go wasn't a fluke, should bode for a well adjusted ride.

I'd say the favourites are Highroad, SaxoBank, Garmin and thereafter Silence-Lotto and Liquigas.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I'd be surprised if Cadel won it, considering this race wasn't on his agenda till a week ago. I think Thomas Dekker needs a result, so he may be a chance.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Astana's TT guys are in the US of A right now... But they still may win because they are so incredibly elevated.

Fuji wins a stage! Nice anyways...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I like Evans or Krutzinger for the overall... I think Zubeldia can pull something out here too. He surely wants to ride the Tour again after all!

Moos is racing but he has a ****ty team... BMC has a couple of good riders though too.

I'd be surprised if Cancellara cracked top 50 overall... But he could be a HUGE asset in the TTT.

Here is a link to watch the Tour de Romandie live on the web:

http://www.sportitalia.com/SIlivefeed.aspx

G2009_planimetria.jpg

powderpuff said:
I'd be surprised if Cadel won it, considering this race wasn't on his agenda till a week ago. I think Thomas Dekker needs a result, so he may be a chance.
He isn't participating. After all the injuries and bad luck last months he is now resting. The form is on the up finally after Basque Tour, but the classics came too soon to be in top shape. Next race is Catalunya.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He isn't participating. Next race is Catalunya.

Yep, I realised that after the first stage, but I was a bit lazy to get on and edit the post.
The Phil and Cadel show will go on. May not be winning but they are enjoying having a go, despite all the rumours.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TdRomandie TTT

For those who were able to watch todays team time trial:

Was anyone else as surprised by how disorganized both Garmin and Astana looked? Sure it was a difficult track, but certain teams are supposed to be really good at this.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Td Romandie TTT

Not really. Astana doesn't have a big leader there like LA or Contador or Levi. As for Garmin, I just think their TTT rep is grossly overrated. First, they also don't have the big guns here but even if they did I'm not sure things would be all that different. David Millar is well past the point he can be considered a TT power. Zabriskie is good on his best day but how often is that? Wiggins hasn't really proven himself as an elite road rider, and Svein Tuft is giving the impression that TT silver at the 08 worlds was a fluke. I like Garmin, so I hope I'm proven wrong.

marinoni said:
Not really. Astana doesn't have a big leader there like LA or Contador or Levi. As for Garmin, I just think their TTT rep is grossly overrated. First, they also don't have the big guns here but even if they did I'm not sure things would be all that different. David Millar is well past the point he can be considered a TT power. Zabriskie is good on his best day but how often is that? Wiggins hasn't really proven himself as an elite road rider, and Svein Tuft is giving the impression that TT silver at the 08 worlds was a fluke. I like Garmin, so I hope I'm proven wrong.

Well, none of the Garmin riders you mentioned is riding Tour de Romandie so I have no idea what you're talking about...

On answering the initial question I would say the answer lies in which people actually were there. They are not really the people that Garmin has drilled into a TTT team. They made a point last year to have the same guys in the early season TTT as they would have in the Giro TTT and that probably payed off for them. That doesn't mean that every rider in Garmin is a drilled TTTer.