• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread - World Championships: Elite Men's Road Race 262.2km, Mendrisio

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
UCI Road Cycling World Championships medal tally

1st Italy - 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
2nd Australia - 2 gold
3rd USA - 1 gold
3rd Switzerland - 1 gold
3rd France - 1 gold
4th Russie - 1 silver, 1 bronze
5th portugal - 1 silver
5th Sweeden - 1 silver
5th holland - 1 silver
5th Colombia - 1 silver
6th Germany - 2 bronze
7th Spain - 1 bronze

May 26, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
well i guess that's the end of the evans is leaving silence before next year...no way silence is going to let a world champion leave

Yes, that's the only downside I can see to an otherwise great day for Evans as well.

On the other hand I don't think there was a surplus of other team options anyway, so maybe no downside after all if wearing the rainbow jersey makes some of the SL riders more willing to work seriously for him. We'll see.

auscyclefan94 said:
UCI Road Cycling World Championships medal tally

1st Italy - 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
2nd Australia - 2 gold
3rd USA - 1 gold
3rd Switzerland - 1 gold
3rd France - 1 gold
4th Russie - 1 silver, 1 bronze
5th portugal - 1 silver
5th Sweeden - 1 silver
5th holland - 1 silver
5th Colombia - 1 silver
6th Germany - 2 bronze
7th Spain - 1 bronze

Italy got only one gold, and Denmark also had 1 bronze.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
New rider

auscyclefan94 said:
First ever WC i have watched live and i must say it's an exciting race with many tatical games being played by the national teams.

+1
I dont even really like Evans but really enjoyed this win and got excited when it looked like he was going to hold on.
It was an exciting race with the moves starting much earlier than usual.
So many things were good about the result
The Australian team were rewarded for a win after doing all the work bringing the group together.
Cadel needed a win more than nearly any rider in the peloton so you have to be happy for him. He made a clever mood for once and was rewarded. If he does nothing else in cycling he now has one big win from his career

The spanish did what Evans often does when an attack goes and looked around too long even though they had the strongest riders at the end.

I dont believe there is any strong argument to say he didn't deserve to win or was lucky.

Lets hope he continues with the new style and gets more wins riding like this instead of being negative and then blaming other people when it doesn't work out.

He must now feel like he can win so surely will help in other races.
Great race and well earned result

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
On you tube i watched a video of the WC"S with Universal commentating. Those guys are funny to listen to with their accents,pronunciations and comments

"The guy who never attacks, Cadel Evans":D