• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread - World Championships: Elite Men's Road Race 262.2km, Mendrisio

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
badboyberty said:
Considering how much bad luck has plagued him since he traded in his knobblies for skinny tyres maybe he'll get a reverse effect from the rainbow curse and finally win a GT...

...we can live in hope...

He will probably get the double whammy: His usual bad luck plus the WC bad luck.

If he is smart he should target the Giro and Vuelta next year.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
so stoked for cadel, and the team coz that was a huge effort, but just wondering about kolobnev. what does he do for the rest of the year? 2 podiums in two years i think, and bar some early form in the monte pascha eroica (sp?) this year, i don't think i've seen him. btw, so relieved valverde didn't win, just saves dramas.

A

Anonymous

Azdak6 said:
What's unbelievable is that you have a "missus" who actually CARES....:confused:

shes done paris three times, london prologue and a night race, hit geraint thomas with a sainsburys carrier bag, shaken hands with pozzato and had drunken 2am conversations with the csc boys..... and shes the one who wants to paris roubaix...

and shed never even heard of lance armstrong when she met me..

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Double vindication for Evans dumping Cancellara on Swiss turf, after Cancellars's nonsense this year in Tour to him when Evans tried to bust up a stage when behind on GT (his only chance).

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Incredible race. Not only was the finale excellent with a complete suprise of a winner, the situation with the breakaway made it tense from 50km out.

Great ride for Cadel, never saw that coming. He looked hilariously out of his depth on the podium.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dblueroom said:
i like the way you look at this. S-L blows...

Gilbert didn't pace the second group because of Evans....

Face it, S/L is the best team Evans is ever going to get. He will never win a GT, so this is about as good as it's gonna get.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Awesome race. No more namby pamby World's circuits please.

If the next 2 circuits are as flat as everybody is saying, it might be fun. If it's really a sprinters fest there's only going to be 1 favorite and his squad won't be all that strong.
Might be interesting.

A

Anonymous

Wow!!

That was such a hero way to win.. attack the last climb, and stay out of the saddle the whole way up, legs must be so lactic right now - no wonder he nearly fell of the podium, using koblenov as a walking frame

Huge redemption for the tour (cancellara incident, media pressure) and the vuelta (valv-piti breaking the gentlemens rule and not waiting).

Respect to the aussie team pulling for an hour to bring back the ballan group. sulzberger on the front for nearly 2 laps by himself. and respect to gilbert, i agree he held the cunego group back to give evans some time to go for it

WOW!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
(valv-piti breaking the gentlemens rule and not waiting).

Sounds like attacking when most of your group is stuck behind parked cars on Xorret de Cati. Please don't have tunnelvision.

Mountain Goat said:
That was such a hero way to win.. attack the last climb, and stay out of the saddle the whole way up, legs must be so lactic right now - no wonder he nearly fell of the podium, using koblenov as a walking frame

Huge redemption for the tour (cancellara incident, media pressure) and the vuelta (valv-piti breaking the gentlemens rule and not waiting).

Respect to the aussie team pulling for an hour to bring back the ballan group. sulzberger on the front for nearly 2 laps by himself. and respect to gilbert, i agree he held the cunego group back to give evans some time to go for it

WOW!!

Actually it was Basso and Liquigas who were doing most of the pulling early on after Cadel flatted. If Basso continues to pull you honestly can't expect Valverde to wait?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
If the next 2 circuits are as flat as everybody is saying, it might be fun. If it's really a sprinters fest there's only going to be 1 favorite and his squad won't be all that strong.
Might be interesting.

It will be interesting to see Cav sprint without a leadout train.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Sounds like attacking when most of your group is stuck behind parked cars on Xorret de Cati. Please don't have tunnelvision.

Talk about tunnel vision Cadel wasn't the first to go in that attack if you open your eyes. How much money did you lose on Cadel winning?? He deserves this win and it will not be his last big win. Also they didn't wait on two occasions when he flatted.:cool:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cadel has balls after all. That ride was great and definitely a way to go for the victory. Spaniards suck so bad though and they were scared ****less by Fabian. Good thing is that spaniards only got bronze.

Fabian was my favorite but I'll take Cadel as a world champion over any Spanish or Italian rider any time. Usually Evans miscalculates the race at the end but today he had lots of energy left because he didn't need to work at all before his attack.

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Actually it was Basso and Liquigas who were doing most of the pulling early on after Cadel flatted. If Basso continues to pull you honestly can't expect Valverde to wait?

agreed, i meant to say valv and co, my mistake.

either way, it is redemption for an unlucky year, that's my main point!! very respectful of his performance tonight!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
It will be interesting to see Cav sprint without a leadout train.

He's proven he's the best in any form of sprint.

Apart from that, I think GB can put up a nice train with guys like Thomas, Downing, Hammond and Swift. But they will have to get to a group finish first.

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Go cadel

aarnold517 said:
well i guess that's the end of the evans is leaving silence before next year...no way silence is going to let a world champion leave

you're right, the management of silence lotto is very happy, in their first reaction on the belgian television

Gilbert did a good one for Silence - Lotto too !

I'm not a big fan of Evans... but he surely deserves this and I'm happy for him!!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
great win for evans. i guess the italians and spaniards hyped themselves so much that everyone marked them. kudos to cancellara. he may have not had a realistic chance for the double, but he went for it.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Though I'm far from being an Evans fan: "Chapeau, Cadel". :)

And the opposite of chapeau (chausettes ?) to the Spanish for their wondrous tactical brilliance. Quite astonishing. :eek:

Now then, how do I put Aussies on ignore here ?

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Oh Moondance, can I catch €10 please!!!

60. Edvald Boasson Hagen.

Thank you.

Hey, where did Thomas Dekker finish...

TRENDING THREADS