• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Thread - World Championships: Elite Men's Road Race 262.2km, Mendrisio

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Awesome race. No more namby pamby World's circuits please.
Chess on Wheels, Gladiator style.
Cadel erases his TDF ghosts and inherits a cursed jersey!:rolleyes:

Well.... at least now he has an excuse!

I am actually delighted for the guy - he has been very close to big wins for a few years - he deserved some luck and a big victory.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Crunchy Frog said:
Though I'm far from being an Evans fan: "Chapeau, Cadel". :)

And the opposite of chapeau (chausettes ?) to the Spanish for their wondrous tactical brilliance. Quite astonishing. :eek:

Now then, how do I put Aussies on ignore here ?

LOL.... a temporary button could be handy!

Does anyone know what song Valverde might twitter for Cadel?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
It might be old skool, but i could snail mail it to you.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd rather not direct transfer. It's just a principle thing that I don't want someone I don't know over the internet getting my bank-account number.

He seems legit :)

Who doesn't know me over the internet. I must be an internet legend by now.
Certainly on cycling related forum.

It all relates back to a certain Ruben Lampe. Also worlds 19th and 15th best mountainbiker according to cyclingnews readers in 2004/2005, strange, as I have never touched an MTB in a race..ever, and I was only 18/19 years old in five years ago!

:p

ak-zaaf said:
He seems legit :)

Very likely. However my family unfortunately has had a very bad experience with identitity theft in the past and as a result any scenario that results in my bank account number becoming known to someone i know only ever the internet is highly unlikely to occur. Like I said, i'll happily snail mail it, i'll even pay the 44c stamp out of pocket, I only need an adress (so i can come by later and steal my ten euros back:cool:)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
At the right place at the right time. No hesitation. Full on attack.
Good on you Cadel. Still don't like you though.

Shame about Cancellara. They were all over him. I bet the Spaniards really hate him now, he made them suffer so much.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
At the right place at the right time. No hesitation. Full on attack.
Good on you Cadel. Still don't like you though.

Shame about Cancellara. They were all over him. I bet the Spaniards really hate him now, he made them suffer so much.

+1

Not a Cadel fan, but well done

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
i agree with you.very exciting and lots of attacks.....found a new respect for some riders...great showcase for cycling today..

have to agree i think cancellara destroyed italy with one attack. Well done to Cadel

Pretty great race from what I saw - only the last few laps as my internet at uni has a cap for each month :(

Anyway, chapeau Cadel. I don't particularly dislike him, but it was nice to see him win. Would've been something special for Cancellara to win this as well though

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Phil ligett commented about the worlds being in Geelong next year 150 times during the coverage. I was going mad. We had matt Keenan who is a great commentator. Phil didn't make too many mistakes last night and it was a good call by him. Our coverage started 1/2 an hour late when all the big boys were starting to come out and play. We had to listen to Lewis hamilton get interviewed and watch cars go around a circuit 60 times. BORING...

auscyclefan94 said:
Phil ligett commented about the worlds being in Geelong next year 150 times during the coverage. I was going mad. We had matt Keenan who is a great commentator. Phil didn't make too many mistakes last night and it was a good call by him. Our coverage started 1/2 an hour late when all the big boys were starting to come out and play. We had to listen to Lewis hamilton get interviewed and watch cars go around a circuit 60 times. BORING...

especially since webber crashed out at the 3/4 mark.....

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
My favorite quote from the race:

"If he'd slowed 3km from the finish [just before the summit], I could have caught him," said Kolobnev. "But on the uphill, he pushed a lot, he was strong. I couldn't make it [across to him] by myself. But if the gap had been closer, I could have done it."

See--I could have won--if only that other guy didn't finish ahead of me.

No, really...I could have.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Great ride by Wes Sulzberger. 23 years old and he rode two laps on the front of the peleton, reducing the lead groups margin by a minute. Evans even said he would like some of these guys on his team next year. The worlds performance asks a question about an australian pro team being formed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Great ride by Wes Sulzberger. 23 years old and he rode two laps on the front of the peleton, reducing the lead groups margin by a minute. Evans even said he would like some of these guys on his team next year. The worlds performance asks a question about an australian pro team being formed.

Again.........