• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official: Tour of California route announcement

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I don't think this is quite right. The City of Big Bear is on the south side of the lake. The map shows the stage fininshing in Fawnskin. There is not much there and I can't think of how there could be an uphill finish as it is pretty flat.

I agree, the stage is most likely to finish in downtown Big Bear Lake, not Fawnskin as shown on this rumored route MAP. Regardless, unless they finish in the middle of the forest, there are going to be miles of flat before the line. Not to mention they could have gone to Big Bear in February (though not over Angeles Crest, part of which closes every winter and most of which is currently closed due to wildfire damage.)

I still say the last stage is where the fireworks will happen and will be much better finale than previous years'.

High Sierras would be great but those passes are usually still snow-covered in May. There are a lot of great cycling spots in CA but they gotta go where the people and sponsors are and to the cities that put out to host a stage - just like the real GTs.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
He must have some serious money investment in the ToC to ever "dare" to say sh!t like that in public

As I wrote in another thread-the 2010 ToC will work "only" for American teams, American business & American cycling.

There are 2 pro bike races happening at the same time, in 2 markets on opposite sides of the world. ToC promoters are promoting their event and imagine the pink newspaper people are promoting theirs with some gusto as well.

What is the big F'ing deal?

noflyzone_allstars said:
There are 2 pro bike races happening at the same time, in 2 markets on opposite sides of the world. ToC promoters are promoting their event and imagine the pink newspaper people are promoting theirs with some gusto as well.

What is the big F'ing deal?

I think the only big deal is that they have just halved the potential field. Last year's promotion was all about a world-class field, and rightly so. This year they will certainly miss a great portion of the riders that made the race.

It's a race I've loved and watched since it's inception. I've been to at least 2 stages every year. I think they run a fair risk of turning it into another US race, an event which I don't give a wink about. When Armstrong disappears, it's all over.

With the February time slot, you got a great international field every year. Where is the star power next year or the year after?

Incredibly short sighted. A real shame. I'm bummed today.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the ASO gets along with the Giro d'Italia organizers? I have read where the ASO and AToC organizers have some co-promotional agreement and the ASO is a 49% stakeholder in the Vuelta.

Could this be the ASO looking to hurt the Giro by co-promoting an eventual 3-week American GT?

Conspiracy anyone?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Might be great to be a sprinter at next year's Giro. Garmin will make Farrar ride Cali and I'm pretty sure Columbia will do the same with Cavendish, so there might be a lot more opportunites. I'm sure Saxo, Quick Step, and Cervelo will make the Schleks, Cancellara, Boonen, Sastre and Hushovd ride, but what condition they will all be in after killing each other in the Classics (or in Sastre's case, having bigger fish to fry in July). I guess they will be there to roll around and make their sponsors happy.

craig1985 said:
Might be great to be a sprinter at next year's Giro. Garmin will make Farrar ride Cali and I'm pretty sure Columbia will do the same with Cavendish, so there might be a lot more opportunites. I'm sure Saxo, Quick Step, and Cervelo will make the Schleks, Cancellara, Boonen, Sastre and Hushovd ride, but what condition they will all be in after killing each other in the Classics (or in Sastre's case, having bigger fish to fry in July). I guess they will be there to roll around and make their sponsors happy.

Indeed--it's going to weaken both races, and the Giro is fast becoming my favorite race. It's going to hurt Cali more though. A real shame. I'm very bummed about this timing.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Noflyonly is spot on - the final stage will be the most interesting and fun to watch. Based on the spotty info to date, this stage will be a stage full of everything - hard - and alot of -climbing (we know The Rock Store (twice?) and Decker Canyon, which means fast descents, spectacular sceneary (the view from the spine of the Santa Monica Mountains is pretty spectacular), rollers along the coast - in short everything you want in a race. And there will be allot of people lining the roads - and I mean allot.

The Downtown LA TT will also be very cool. Racing through Downtown, which has a varied terrain with allot of short, steep climbs, though the various districts (the financial core, historic bank district, chinatown, arts district etc.) will be a very unique setting for a race that you won't see anywhere else. It should be fun to watch.

As to the rest of you, give it a rest. The race has moved - it would have never lasted if it remained scheduled for February. It's our winter, cold and rainy. Even though the race pulled 2 MM spectators last year in the rain, being cold and wet gets old. Remember, the States numerous Campgrounds are open in May, and May is the off season for many of the resort areas, so following the tour in person is cheap!

And the racers, as well as they are respected and treated, didn't like it. And the racing sucked. Who cares about a name field if the names treat the race like a glorified training ride. Give me the Continental teams and the "B" squad that wants to race any day.

So what if it's the same time as the Giro - when is a new race not in conflict with one of the "Classic" races? I guess ToC should rollover and play dea. Look, at the end of the day, ToC will succeed or fail based on the quality of the organization, how the riders are treated, and how the race is supported by the fans and sponsors. So far ToC has come through despite its place on the calendar. ToC will either earn its place on the calendar or wither away. I'll take bets.

I agree that on balance the route could be allot stronger. Getting up into the high Sierras is central to the ongoing success of the race because they are breathtaking, both literally and figuratively. But the State is too big for an 8 day race w/o long transfers. I think this year's route's transfers are pretty bad. You could have an 8 day race just between Tahoe and Bishop (which would be very cool, by the way). The race probably needs at least 2 weeks in order to reasonably include the high sierras into the route.

In time.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Curious why they continue to avoid Orange County

Speaking for some in Ventura County, the OC is avoided at all costs. :D

The local cities that had previously gone for a start (Santa Barbara, etc) have not been interested this year or next year. The SB - TO leg through Ojai provided some great spots to see the race, especially Dennison Grade on the east side of the Ojai Valley, and the descent into Santa Paula.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
LocalsOnly said:
As to the rest of you, give it a rest. The race has moved - it would have never lasted if it remained scheduled for February. It's our winter, cold and rainy. Even though the race pulled 2 MM spectators last year in the rain, being cold and wet gets old. Remember, the States numerous Campgrounds are open in May, and May is the off season for many of the resort areas, so following the tour in person is cheap!

And the racers, as well as they are respected and treated, didn't like it. And the racing sucked. Who cares about a name field if the names treat the race like a glorified training ride. Give me the Continental teams and the "B" squad that wants to race any day.

+1 on both points :)

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Boring. California in May and that's the toughest and most interesting stages you could up with?

Guess we UT and Colorado folks need to work harder on some sort of combination Tour of UT/Coors Classic thing.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cycling Doubleheader

Holy Crap, get to watch the Giro in the morning (PST) before work,
and the the AMGEN Tour Tracker while at work!

Sure, the AToC will have fewer Italians this year - but it will attract
top-notch "Tour Prep" riders who find the Giro too brutal!

Lance has signed on. How about Cadel?

My IPhone pic of World Champ at last years AToC:

photo-2.jpg

An 8 day race between Tahoe and Bishop would be cool. They'd have to criss-cross the Sierra to make it last that long. Straight down 395, and the pro peloton would do it in a day.

I'm sure some of the High Sierra passes could be ploughed (That's how to spell it!) by then, and it would be great to see some spectacular rides up from the dry eastern valley into the snows:

Sonora Pass:
sonora5.jpg

But the weather can turn so easily that a race convoy on an 8000 foot pass in a storm could be an epic disaster.

Mellow Velo said:
So, the logical progression being, in 2011, (with PT status:D )the Tour of Cali becomes bigger than the Tour of France, n'est ce pas?:rolleyes:

You poor sods.
Stuck with overkill coverage of Team Bathchair and this minor event, while the rest of us get the Giro.
Our biggest headache is finding the time to watch the leftovers, each evening, having had the afternoon watching the big race.:eek:

And as one of those "poor sods", I'll be pestering you relentlessly about getting video's of all the mountain stages. You being sympathetic to my plight I'm hoping you will comply.;)

Angliru said:
And as one of those "poor sods", I'll be pestering you relentlessly about getting video's of all the mountain stages. You being sympathetic to my plight I'm hoping you will comply.;)
I think there might be a niche market around here.;)
The biggest disappointment must be, having moved the race 3 months into the season, the race formula remains pretty much the same, except for the MTF.

Cal_Joe said:
Speaking for some in Ventura County, the OC is avoided at all costs.
Or the entire half of the state north of Nevada City.

As I said before, I agree with Mellow. This course could have been run in February. They didn't need to move the race to May in order to make this route. Though the weather will probably be better.

As to the real Sierra passes, again, everything from Horseshoe Meadows to the Mt. Rose Highway (Nevada into Cal) are quite a ways from population centers, unless they had stages going to Reno, Carson City, and/or in the Lake Tahoe areas. Towns like Bishop, Independence, Mammoth Lakes are fantastic gateways to spectacular HC climbs, but that's a long, long way from big cities. Fans would number in the tens of thousands, maybe, instead of the hundreds of thousands you'll get watching the race within an hours or so of LA, SD, SF, SJ, Sac, etc. Los Angeles is a five hour drive to Lone Pine, for example.

Would encourage anyone to buyJohn Summerson's book, The Complete Guide to Climbing (by bike), he also has a California exclusive version he's working on. John should head the course committee.

For those wanting to peruse a map, the grand Sierra HC and Cat 1 climbs I am speaking of are as follows:

Mt. Rose Highway
Kingsbury Grade
Carson Pass
Monitor Pass, Ebbets Pass, Pacific Grade (Markleyville Death Ride)
Sonora Pass
Tioga Pass
Minaret Summit (to Devil's Postpile)
Rock Creek Road (highest, at over 10,200')
Pine Creek Road
Lake Sabrina / South Lake Sabrina
Glacier Lodge
Onion Valley Road
Whitney Portal
Horseshoe Meadows
Kennedy Meadows

There are of course also routes leading into and over the White Mountains, and into Death Valley and Nevada that are tough climbs as well.

Some of those climbs are passes, others end in ski areas with plenty of facilities, and others have very little for facilities, or anything other than a few cars, at the top.

As I look at the map again, it would be difficult, but possible to go from Bakersfield, through Lake Isabella, to Personville, and up the Nine Mile Grade to Kennedy Meadows for a very difficult mountain stage with a true HC/1 MT finish; about 130 miles.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
For those wanting to peruse a map, the grand Sierra HC and Cat 1 climbs I am speaking of are as follows:

Mt. Rose Highway
Kingsbury Grade
Carson Pass
Monitor Pass, Ebbets Pass, Pacific Grade (Markleyville Death Ride)
Sonora Pass
Tioga Pass
Minaret Summit (to Devil's Postpile)
Rock Creek Road (highest, at over 10,200')
Pine Creek Road
Lake Sabrina / South Lake Sabrina
Glacier Lodge
Onion Valley Road
Whitney Portal
Horseshoe Meadows
Kennedy Meadows

I have done Carson, Monitor and Ebbets (Death Ride) but found Big Creek (Climb to Kaiser) much more difficult. Also, a ride that is only known by the locals in my area would Balch Park which would likely be considered an HC climb as well.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Alpe - Mammoth Lakes is about 5 to 5.5 hours from LA. A buddy of mine just drove it in 4.5 hours. It's not that big of a trek, most of us in SoCal are used to the drive to ski or MTB in the summer. I think you'd get more fans up to watch the race than you'd think (though still in the tens of thousands). In May Mammoth is still open for Spring skiing (usually), and there are allot of cheap rooms and campsites available (it's offseason). What I think bringing the ToC up to the Mammoth Lakes area affords is the ability to travel with the tour for a couple of days. I think if the ToC raced in this area over a weekend you'd see more people than you think caravaning up (and down?) for a weekend to ride, ski, and watch the race.

CentralCaliBike said:
I have done Carson, Monitor and Ebbets (Death Ride) but found Big Creek (Climb to Kaiser) much more difficult. Also, a ride that is only known by the locals in my area would Balch Park which would likely be considered an HC climb as well.
Not familiar with those, but they aren't on the east side of the Sierras, which is what my list is from. They aren't in Summerson's book either, but that doesn't mean they aren't tough. Pacific Grade isn't in his book either, and it's 1,500' much of that over 20%.

But it is a bummer that they didn't included many climbs like this west from Fresno, Visalia, etc. this year. Maybe next.

LocalsOnly said:
Alpe - Mammoth Lakes is about 5 to 5.5 hours from LA. I think if the ToC raced in this area over a weekend you'd see more people than you think caravaning up (and down?) for a weekend to ride, ski, and watch the race.
I'd personally love to see that. It is a wonderful tough, with plenty of lodging. I think Mammoth should lobby for it next year under that presentation. Plus, many, many tough mountain climbs within a day from there. BTW, it's 300m from LA to ML. Your friend was driving pretty fast!

Clemson Cycling said:
Would anyone say that this is currently the top stage race in the world outside of the Grand Tours and Paris-Nice?
Not even close. Agree with MellowVelo.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
But it is a bummer that they didn't included many climbs like this west from Fresno, Visalia, etc. this year. Maybe next.

I do not know the east side (other than the Death Ride) but I do know there are plenty of challenging climbs on the west as mentioned earlier. I suppose, from another thread, that Sequoia Park would not allow the race but the climb to Lodgepole is unbelievably long - Kaiser Pass is at 9200' above sea level and then there is Big Creek (before you get to the Kaiser Pass climb > 4 miles climbing 2000' with the most difficult half mile of 15% average and hitting 20% in a couple of spots.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Not even close. Agree with MellowVelo.

I believe it will get the coverage of a grand tour but cannot consider it to be at the same level without some history (5 years is just not enough) and it would have to be a longer event as well. Certainly there is the potential but as Moondance said, "call back in 20 years".

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Are the big euro teams gonna come and skip Giro?

The pendulum of opinion seems to have swung back now that doing the Giro is the best prep for the Tour de France. Some riders need the extra race mileage and killer climbs. But some riders don't. My question is how many euro squads will chose the Tour of California over the Giro. It will be a harder edition and I figure plenty of riders like the break from Europe -- the pressure is off a little here and they don't feel like trashing themselves in the Giro is a good ideas for July 4th in Rotterdam. Opinions?

Twisted Spoke at http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

CentralCaliBike said:
I believe it will get the coverage of a grand tour but cannot consider it to be at the same level without some history (5 years is just not enough) and it would have to be a longer event as well. Certainly there is the potential but as Moondance said, "call back in 20 years".

There's the Catch 22 in all of this.