• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Was van Avermaet ever seriously questioned for his connection with a doping doctor? Gilbert for the alleged cortisone abuse within Lotto. Boonen ever questioned for riding his whole career for the doping infested US Postal and Lefevere teams? As long as the riders deny and tell the media that in cobbled classics doping is not needed, Belgian cycling still has a problem. Museeuw was caught and all he admitted was that it was during the end of his career. I don't know why the Belgian people believed him, but they like to look the other way.

Yes, but the newspapers got sued because there was lack of proof. Obviously you need proof if you want to crucify someone. Museeuw was ages ago.
Do you actually believe that the QS boys are clean?

This is the Valverde thread. Stop deflecting all the time.

Fact is Valverde was involved with Operacion Puerto and later got busted for BLOOD DOPING. That's TWO offences.

Fact is Valverde never apologized or admitted guilt.

Fact is Valverde bullied other riders to keep the Omerta in place.

Fact is Movistar supported Valverde financially during his ban. He could also train together with them and make use of their equipment.

Fact is Valverde is still a dirty cheater, coward and wheel-sucker (his worst crime).

Yes, what is funny, yesterday sb said that he is The Boss..

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:
Was van Avermaet ever seriously questioned for his connection with a doping doctor? Gilbert for the alleged cortisone abuse within Lotto. Boonen ever questioned for riding his whole career for the doping infested US Postal and Lefevere teams? As long as the riders deny and tell the media that in cobbled classics doping is not needed, Belgian cycling still has a problem. Museeuw was caught and all he admitted was that it was during the end of his career. I don't know why the Belgian people believed him, but they like to look the other way.

Yes, but the newspapers got sued because there was lack of proof. Obviously you need proof if you want to crucify someone. Museeuw was ages ago.

Fact is Valverde was involved with Operacion Puerto and later got busted for BLOOD DOPING. That's TWO offences.

Fact is Movistar supported Valverde financially during his ban. He could also train together with them and make use of their equipment.

Fact is Valverde is still a dirty cheater, coward and wheel-sucker (his worst crime).

Yes, what is funny, yesterday sb said that he is The Boss..
)
Any proof of this claim: "Fact is Valverde bullied other riders to keep the Omerta in place."

El Pistolero said:
Escarabajo said:
El Pistolero said:
Bardamu said:

As much as you would like it to be so, just you saying it doesn't make it a fact. Him being a "coward and wheel-sucker" is just your opinion.

@Koronin
It's huge shame we all the time are forced to watch valverde. Just Mr Nobody, The Master of Bloody Bags. He should be permabanned so many years ago. I hope he wil retire as soon as possible or quit racing regardless of the reasons.
And it was marvellous to watch his defeats during Ardennes.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
@Koronin
It's huge shame we all the time are forced to watch valverde. Just Mr Nobody, The Master of Bloody Bags. He should be permabanned so many years ago. I hope he wil retire as soon as possible or quit racing regardless of the reasons.
Maybe him and Froome can hold hands and skip gaily over the rainbow together.

Re:

Koronin said:
He's not retiring for a couple more years, so you'll just have to deal with it.
And hopefully wins or at least helps his teammates win lots of races on the way. Which he will. Bot Sky Boy won't like that but again he/she is just on the wind up. When Froome goes down, and he will, he/she along with the other blind apologists/wind up merchants will disappear from these forums. At least we, yes, the royal we, know what we are watching. The posters I hate most on this forum are the disingenuous ones and Bot Sky Boy is up there but far from the worst. At least he/she knows and is on the wind up, some others who actually believe I genuinely feel sorrow for.

ferryman said:
Koronin said:
And hopefully wins or at least helps his teammates win lots of races on the way. Which he will. Bot Sky Boy won't like that but again he/she is just on the wind up. When Froome goes down, and he will, he/she along with the other blind apologists/wind up merchants will disappear from these forums. At least we, yes, the royal we, know what we are watching. The posters I hate most on this forum are the disingenuous ones and Bot Sky Boy is up there but far from the worst. At least he/she knows and is on the wind up, some others who actually believe I genuinely feel sorrow for.
He :).
And you may write just everything. But he is 38-years-old, almost retired, poor-doper-man. With almost any chances to gain any real palmares. And you all should try to face it. As soon as possible.

ferryman said:
Koronin said:

Of course then go after someone who had been banned, but is still racing because he loves to race.
He'll do both. He has a couple of teammates who are saying he's not allowed to retire because they still have too much to learn from him. Heck even Landa made a comment during the Ardennes week that he doesn't want Valverde retiring anytime soon because there is so much he has left to learn and so much he didn't know he needed to learn. He was actually specifically referring to leadership abilities in the interview. Valverde has also talked a couple of times about the fact that there are many ways he can help the team even if he's not longer able to win. The team has also talked about invented a position for him as a coach/mentor after he retires.

Not sure how Valverde was ever a mediocre talent when he won over 50 consecutive races as a cadet (where he earned the nickname El Imbatido). As both a cadet and junior everyone who watched him race and most who raced as teammates or against him all knew he was going to be a star as a pro.

TubularBills said:
Fun to watch for a confirmed doper.

Curious. How has Valverde been fun to watch? In the races I watched him, he sits in the wheels then uses his superior sprint (for a guy who can climb) to take the win. But this strength has also made him (understandably) timid, he knows he can win a sprint against virtually any other GC rider / climber so he is reluctant to make daring attacks. Why bust your guts to make a gap mid race when you can sit in then win any sprint?

For example, I think this timidity cost him and Spain a potential victory in the 2009 Worlds. He sat and watched as the eventual podium rode away on the last climb. Spain had three riders in the leading bunch. Evans was very strong but had Valverde rather than Purito been in that final attack I think the result might have been different.

I think some people confuse Valverde's winning record as entertainment. I must have missed races where he took the initiative such as, for example, Alberto Contador?

Cookster15 said:
TubularBills said:
Fun to watch for a confirmed doper.

Curious. How has Valverde been fun to watch? In the races I watched him, he sits in the wheels then uses his superior sprint (for a guy who can climb) to take the win. But this strength has also made him (understandably) timid, he knows he can win a sprint against virtually any other GC rider / climber so he is reluctant to make daring attacks. Why bust your guts to make a gap mid race when you can sit in then win any sprint?

For example, I think this timidity cost him and Spain a potential victory in the 2009 Worlds. He sat and watched as the eventual podium rode away on the last climb. Spain had three riders in the leading bunch. Evans was very strong but had Valverde rather than Purito been in that final attack I think the result might have been different.

I think some people confuse Valverde's winning record as entertainment. I must have missed races where he took the initiative such as, for example, Alberto Contador?

Oh his reliance on his sprint and his decision making at times have most definitely cost him several wins. However, you also can't really fault him for relying on that sprint of his. Yes it does make him a more conservative rider because he knows he can out sprint anyone who is as good or better climber than he is. (This goes back to the: He can out sprint anyone who out climb him and can out climb anyone who can out sprint him).
Now there are times he has attacked from a bit of a distance although rarely in the biggest of races. 2017 Murcia (although he's said he'd expected at least someone to go with him, but no one could follow his attack), 2016 Andaluca on the final climb. I'm sure Tejay hasn't forgotten that one. A stage in Catalonia 2017 (don't remember which one, maybe stage 3) where he attacked a few KM from the end to drop Froome and Contador. So yes he does on occasion. Actually the first stage of Andaluca that he won in 2017 he and Contador initiated the attacking which ended up resulting in him waiting for Contador and I Izzagirre at the bottom of the descent and another group of 4 riders bridging to them before the finish which yes he won in a sprint. However, most of us who are his fans also enjoy watching him sprint for wins and are more than happy to see him win that way. We also know he's given away his fair share of wins because of the way he usually races and maybe an over reliance on his sprint.