• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official Valverde thread.

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

BYOP88 said:
Got to get the complete set of GT and a few classics still missing from the palmares, then it's a victory ride into the sunset.

The way Piti is rolling right now the sun may have to ride off into him...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Remember, doping stopped some time around 2011. This just Valverde benefiting from the doping he did close to a decade ago.

What?????

Doping stopped after Festina.

It stopped again after Op Puerto.

Then it stopped again when Armstrong called it a day.

Then it stopped when Team Sky came along with their marginal gains.

Since then all the riders that lost their inner fat have been the winners.

Easy peasy Japaneasy.

Doping has stopped so many times that riders are the cleanest things on the planet!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
spiritualride said:
If the logic is: "Valverde has only been so dominant because he's gotten really lucky with the lack of rivals who can sprint"
if true, it begs the question of why they have raced against Valverde in a way that allows him for so many sprint finishes? Why not break the race up earlier ?

Pro Cyclists aren't known for their intelligence.

You'll see next Wednesday when the peloton collectively rides to the Mur de Huy for Valverde's "Joyous" Entry.

They're too afraid to risk a guaranteed top ten place for a victory.

Next Sunday they will meet some cyclists who aren't afraid of risking a top ten place for a victory though. :)

If I was the one making the rules I would only award UCI points to the winners of a race - those points would be allocated to the team, not just the rider in question.

Oh my God! :lol:

Proven right again today. :)

Re:

Irondan said:
13 wins so far this season and it's only mid April!

The way he's riding, reaching a "sprinter like" 20 wins this season is completely doable.
10 wins so far.

Since his ban, he has never won more than three times after Fleche, but I think something like 15 is the most probable number of wins this season.

Netserk said:
Irondan said:
13 wins so far this season and it's only mid April!

The way he's riding, reaching a "sprinter like" 20 wins this season is completely doable.
10 wins so far.

Since his ban, he has never won more than three times after Fleche, but I think something like 15 is the most probable number of wins this season.
Yeah, 10 wins on the road and 2 points classifications and 1 mountains classification. I never know when to count the points, overall and mountain competitions but since they're competitions I throw them in there. :)

Edit: Still, very staggering numbers.

Re:

burning said:
It is hilarious that 4 of his 5 wins in FW came after the ban
That actually makes sense. He used to struggle with positioning, and only started winning Fleches when the parcours got slightly harder and a smaller group reached the final Mur de Huy. I don't think his doping in 2014-2016 was different than in 2013.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Gung Ho Gun said:
burning said:
That actually makes sense. He used to struggle with positioning, and only started winning Fleches when the parcours got slightly harder and a smaller group reached the final Mur de Huy. I don't think his doping in 2014-2016 was different than in 2013.

I would hazard a guess his motor has improved and his PEDs have improved.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
burning said:

I would hazard a guess his motor has improved and his PEDs have improved.

He doesn't need a motor, he has one right from his birth ;) PEDs, well that's another story.. :p

Lol! :lol:

xndc1e.jpg