• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Because it adds little to races he can win, besides Liege, maybe Lombardia and a number of WC routes. Van Aert cannot win GTs.

In this regard I find Pogacars showings in Sanremo and de Ronde much more significant.

So everything is about monuments to you? Meaning that a non-GT rider's TT abilities are completely insignificant.

It's like, the whole world was in awe of what Van Aert did today, and you just sat there with a stopwatch, thinking, nah, this was to be expected, now even Vingegaard is better than him.

He dropped Pogacar on the Hautacam after having ridden on the front the entire day, for crying out loud. His performance was ridiculous. I cannot fathom how you can continue to be so unimpressed.

And of course he can win LBL and Lombardia with this level.

So everything is about monuments to you? Meaning that a non-GT rider's TT abilities are completely insignificant.

It's like, the whole world was in awe of what Van Aert did today, and you just sat there with a stopwatch, thinking, nah, this was to be expected, now even Vingegaard is better than him.

He dropped Pogacar on the Hautacam after having ridden on the front the entire day, for crying out loud. His performance was ridiculous. I cannot fathom how you can continue to be so unimpressed.

And of course he can win LBL and Lombardia with this level.
Obviously

I'm much more of a contrarian who likes to overstate a piss take every now and when.

Reactions: tobydawq
Vingegaard will win the Tour de France come Sunday, and will be the top GC dog until further notice.

Van Aert is the #1 domestique in the world, and one of the 2 most versatile riders in the world. But he's too much a jack of all trades and master of none.
This post does a profound disservice to both Tadej Pogačar and Wout Van Aert. Vingegaard will be the defending champion of one Tour barring catastrophe. No small thing. That said, by far the best stage racer in the world is Tadej Pogačar. He's won basically every stage race he's entered for the last 2 years barring this one. There is now a battle at the Tour, but top GC dog? That's still Pogačar. One race doesn't erase all he's done.

Wout is by miles the most versatile rider in the world. Who is comparable? Calling him a domestique is silly and you must know it, particularly after complaining all during the first week that Jumbo were idiots for the way they let Wout go for his own chances and didn't force him to submit to domestique duties. He's a winning racer with an incredible palmares. He has 5 stage wins in the last two Tours (as of this writing) and has a great chance for 6 come the TT. He's won TT's, mountain stages, and sprints. This year he's won E3 and Het Nieuwsblad as well as second in PR and 3rd in LBL. MSR, Strade Bianche, Amstel, and the Belgian championship are on his palmares as are many more. Come on. "Master of None"? Let's have a serious conversation at least.

This post does a profound disservice to both Tadej Pogačar and Wout Van Aert. Vingegaard will be the defending champion of one Tour barring catastrophe. No small thing. That said, by far the best stage racer in the world is Tadej Pogačar. He's won basically every stage race he's entered for the last 2 years barring this one. There is now a battle at the Tour, but top GC dog? That's still Pogačar. One race doesn't erase all he's done.

Wout is by miles the most versatile rider in the world. Who is comparable? Calling him a domestique is silly and you must know it, particularly after complaining all during the first week that Jumbo were idiots for the way they let Wout go for his own chances and didn't force him to submit to domestique duties. He's a winning racer with an incredible palmares. He has 5 stage wins in the last two Tours (as of this writing) and has a great chance for 6 come the TT. He's won TT's, mountain stages, and sprints. This year he's won E3 and Het Nieuwsblad as well as second in PR and 3rd in LBL. MSR, Strade Bianche, Amstel, and the Belgian championship are on his palmares as are many more. Come on. "Master of None"? Let's have a serious conversation at least.
I said Vingegaard will be ahead of Van Aert, not that he'd be #1 in my book.

He doesn't like to be called out for his selfserving BS. So please don't.

I wonder what now for Van Aert in the Tour. Same as this year, but polka dots instead of green? Somewhat joking of course.

He will probably be riding on the team with the main GC favorite for the remainder of the current contract, but it will still be a shame if 2023/2024 will be broadly a repeat of what he has been doing previously.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wonder what now for Van Aert in the Tour. Same as this year, but polka dots instead of green? Somewhat joking of course.

He will probably be riding on the team with the main GC favorite for the remainder of the current contract, but it will still be a shame if 2023/2024 will be broadly a repeat of what he has been doing previously.
I don't think he'd mind racking up two or three stages & the green for another couple of seasons. Then it's time to begin the Transformation. Just imagine what a 65kg Van Aert would do in the mountains (if he weren't dead, of course).

I dunno but Pogacar has been a lot closer to winning Sanremo or De Ronde than Van Aert has been to winning Grand Tours.
Well Pogi is about as close to winning bunch sprints on the Champs Elysees as Wout is to winning a GT...not close but also not unthinkable. But if you want to say Pogačar is the best bike racer in the world you have a great case. I just don't see him as nearly as versatile as Wout. Wout wins in disciplines where it just doesn't cross over. Guys who win field sprints do not win TT's and mountain stages in GT's. Except Wout. That's where he's more versatile. GT winners have historically won big classics, that's not unheard of. What Wout is doing hasn't been done since Merckx.

I said Vingegaard will be ahead of Van Aert, not that he'd be #1 in my book.
I have a hard time getting my head around that statement. It seems objectively wrong unless you basically ignore everything in cycling except winning the Tour. A Tour win is worth more than anything in cycling, no question. But that's basically all he has, a win and a second. Good Dauphine results. He's a great stage racer now. Most of the season he's invisible.

I don't think he'd mind racking up two or three stages & the green for another couple of seasons. Then it's time to begin the Transformation. Just imagine what a 65kg Van Aert would do in the mountains (if he weren't dead, of course).

True. But a lot less entertaining than sending him to the Giro as a super stage hunter/main team captain.

But it's their choice obviously and maybe there is more value to Van Aert to Groundhog day the 2022 Tour for the next couple of years.