• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Question mark is needed because it shows that Van Aert not being a Belgian Pozzato is only a consideration at this point and not considered truth by the cycling fan consensus
You know, I was watching that attack by Masnada in the last 7km of today's Burgos stage, forcing every other team to work and, after getting caught, he still rides to set up what would have been a likely win by Ballerini. Couldn't help thinking that WvA would've ridden out in front of the peloton for 2km while waving to the camera and then drop straight out the back of the peloton.

You know, I was watching that attack by Masnada in the last 7km of today's Burgos stage, forcing every other team to work and, after getting caught, he still rides to set up what would have been a likely win by Ballerini. Couldn't help thinking that WvA would've ridden out in front of the peloton for 2km while waving to the camera and then drop straight out the back of the peloton.
Difference between a class rider and a thermonuclear donkey

Lol there is no doubt Hindley is the rider of the year if he wins the Vuelta.
Winning 2 GTs is an incredible feat. Has happened only twice this century.
To beat out a monument, Worlds, 3 week GCs with 2 stages, 3 stages at Tour and 2nd, a classic win, 4th and 5th in Flanders and MSR when it could have been second? It’s for being the best cyclist in the whole year, not just two races. I think Hindley would have to have a superb Vuelta.

Lol there is no doubt Hindley is the rider of the year if he wins the Vuelta.
Winning 2 GTs is an incredible feat. Has happened only twice this century.
Really? Theres still Lombardia and WCs left, and I think the Giro and the Vuelta both needs some context - the 4 best GT riders are have not been present in both races. Say, if Wout van Aert wins WC, I'd not hesitate one second even if Hindley wins the Vuelta despite Wout not winning Roubaix/Flanders.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't see how that is more impressive than guys like Pogacar or Van Aert who basically compete for the win in any race they enter. The best GT guys don't even ride the Giro or Vuelta.
As usual in CN, a win (not even two) is worth more than a few good placings, unless the dude with the good placings and no win is your pet rider.

As usual in CN, a win (not even two) is worth more than a few good placings, unless the dude with the good placings and no win is your pet rider.
In CN and in the Velo d'Or, which is what we're discussing.
Van Aert didn't win it in 2020-2021 despite accumulating a gazillion wins, podiums, top10s. 2021 was better than 2022 (so far) by a margin. 2020 probably too because he won a Monument. He has a chance in case he wins the WC but I don't think he wins the Velo d'Or anyway unless they really feel like rewarding consistency and all-aroundness over big wins for a change.

And I clearly stated that Hindley wins it IF he does the Giro-Vuelta double.
Otherwise he's not even a contender.

Last edited:
Van Aert didn't win it in 2020-2021 despite accumulating a gazillion wins, podiums, top10s. 2021 was better than 2022 (so far) by a margin. 2020 probably too because he won a Monument. He has a chance in case he wins the WC but I don't think he wins the Velo d'Or anyway unless they really feel like rewarding consistency and all-aroundness over big wins for a change.
And both years he was 3rd behind the two Slovenians.

But it's a 'weak' year so far, with none of the big winners (monuments and GTs) having great seasons so far. I think it's between Pogi, Van Aert and Vingegaard.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

But it's a 'weak' year so far, with none of the big winners (monuments and GTs) having great seasons so far. I think it's between Pogi, Van Aert and Vingegaard.
I still think you can't discount the people who will still do the Vuelta though fir example: Remco/Hindley. If one of these 2 wins the Vuelta, Pogi/WVA/vingegaard will need to win the WC RR. (Or if either of those win WC RR i think it is also for them)

Reactions: gregrowlerson

As of now?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon there hasn't been a single Velo d'Or winner who wasn't at least a Monument/WC or GT winner.

Last edited: