• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I can't see how WvA has a chance without winning the Worlds. No monument, 3rd in the UCI Points standings. He's not going to get the Velo d'Or just for winning 3 more races than Jasper Philipsen.

Same for Pogacar though, who's had a great season, but no GT or monument (unless you count strade bianche, which I think you shouldn't). And Vingegaard won the Tour, yes great, but what else? If that's enough, then any Tour winner should just automatically get the Velo d'Or.

Imo, if Pogacar wins Lombardia or the WC RR, he's got it, regardless of what Van Aert or Remco do further in the season, but otherwise it's really close between a bunch of guys.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
The best cyclists in the world get results
Its funny, people like you probably expect Van Aert to work 100% as a domestique for Vingegaard while winning 8 stages, polkadot and green. Then again, that probably wouldn't be enough.

Its a conundrum. People talk about monuments and big victories rightfully so, but most people where also up in arms when Wout decided to chase some stages victories for himself in the Tour, and all the work for the leaders will most likely be forgotten when deciding on such a prize.

How can I be more biased than you?

How am I biased? Sure, I sometimes pitch in a little skewedly in Valverde/Nibali discussions to offset the heavy Nibali bias on this forum, otherwise I wouldn't exactly say that I have my head up the butt of certain riders.

Whereas your bias is laughingly obvious, even if you once in a while come up with a post along the lines of "oh, I'm so sorry, I never meant to be like this on this forum, sorry if it has gotten out of hand" after which you continue in the exact same way.

I don't know if it necessarily should merit a ban, though, but if you can't see yourself that you elevate Masnada to a demigod (if he wasn't already) for being second in a monument whereas Van Aert's podium places in monuments are just proof of his complete uselessness, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Trolling is a thing on forums. I wouldn’t consider @Ilmaestro99 to be trolling. He is just extremely biased, which I think is both good and bad, but overall makes this forum more enjoyable. Asking for people who have extreme fandoms like Ilmaestro to be banned makes the forum less enjoying. So, if you please don’t want this people to be on the forum, just ignore them. I don’t, as it keeps all the fun posters on this forum able to see to me.

If nobody of the main contenders wins another biggie I suspect they could throw it to Van Aert.

Right now I would probably pick Vingegaard and would pick Pogacar over Van Aert

I understand why you would pick Pogacar over Van Aert but I don't see how Vingegaard has been better than either of those 2 throughout the whole year. I wouldn't even say he was more impressive than Van Aert during the TDF which he won.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I understand why you would pick Pogacar over Van Aert but I don't see how Vingegaard has been better than either of those 2 throughout the whole year. I wouldn't even say he was more impressive than Van Aert during the TDF which he won.
Because winning the Tour matters a lot, and in the end Van Aert didn't win a monument either.

Van Aerts entire argument basically rests on being flashy in TdF breakaway stages, while Vingegaard at least dropped the 2 single most powerful climbing performances in the last 15 years in the Tour de France.

Even for sheer quantity Van Aert isn't that much better. He has 9 wins vs Vingegaards 6.

Finally it's also weird that Vingegaards win gets treated like Nibali in 2014 a little bit. He was up there before July, he just didn't win much.

Because winning the Tour matters a lot, and in the end Van Aert didn't win a monument either.

Van Aerts entire argument basically rests on being flashy in TdF breakaway stages, while Vingegaard at least dropped the 2 single most powerful climbing performances in the last 15 years in the Tour de France.

Even for sheer quantity Van Aert isn't that much better. He has 9 wins vs Vingegaards 6.

Finally it's also weird that Vingegaards win gets treated like Nibali in 2014 a little bit. He was up there before July, he just didn't win much.
I still think Vingegaard needs another win to be #1 for the year. WVA and Pog are not convincingly #1 either, but between the 3 of them its hard to imagine a Tour win plus 1 Dauphine stage being enough. This would be a lot easier if JV had just let Vingegaard win the Dauphine overall.