• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Belgian tv wondering if Van Baarle is prepared to work 200% for Wout van Aert... you can't make this stuff up. The defending champion has to sacrifice himself completely for the guy who has never won a cobbled monument. I think it's not even in the interest of Van Aert if that's the case.

This 200% figure killed me.

Reactions: StryderHells
I feel for Van Aert class guy and this is his best race where he can actually compete vs MVDP and was unlucky today no doubt but i suspect the amount of work MVDP did from 90km and still have that much left i suspect hes on some freakish form and somewhat becomed stronger than before after finishing his first GT's )atleast thats the word on the streets from the former pros and evidently which this classic campaign also clearly showed!

Reactions: jmdirt
I've said it before & I'll say it again: monuments are to Wout van Aert what the Tour de France is to Primož Roglič: cursed.

It's just an accumulation of unfortunate events, time after time, year after year. That puncture was almost comically evil in its timing but the fate Laporte suffered had already laid the foundations for the unfortunate sad ending to come.

I hope WvA wins the Worlds this year, I really do.

I feel sorry for Van Aert, especially after all the negative criticism about "not being able to handle 250 km" and all that nonsense.

In monuments it's now 4-1 between MvdP and him, and that doesn't seem fair. 3-2 would have been a better reflection of their abilities. He just needs a little bit of luck, but doesn't seem to get it. If I were him I would still go to Liège, but that doesn't seem to be the plan.

I feel sorry for Van Aert, especially after all the negative criticism about "not being able to handle 250 km" and all that nonsense.

In monuments it's now 4-1 between MvdP and him, and that doesn't seem fair. 3-2 would have been a better reflection of their abilities. He just needs a little bit of luck, but doesn't seem to get it. If I were him I would still go to Liège, but that doesn't seem to be the plan.
He lost his sprint again after 250km.
I'm just kidding, he will get another monument. Especially here in Roubaix he will have his portion of luck, he always got the legs. This suits him so well, it will fall into place one day.

Reactions: Sandisfan
4 big duels with MvdP so far this year.

Hoogerheide, San Remo, De Ronde, Roubaix.

4 famous defeats.

This can't just be a physical thing.
Would argue E-3 was a big duel as well. That race actually means something and is one of the best races of the year, year-in and year-out.

But yeah, doesnt look good. Overmatched in MSR and Flanders, today just as good (or better, who knows).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would argue E-3 was a big duel as well. That race actually means something and is one of the best races of the year, year-in and year-out.

But yeah, doesnt look good. Overmatched in MSR and Flanders, today just as good (or better, who knows).
No it wasn't, both Pogacar and MVP didn't ride 100% to crack WVA in E3. It is really a prep race, where the favourites see the level of their rivals.

I love to watch E3, and Wout did great by winning race, so, yeah, on paper you can call it 4-1 in duels if you want.

But that ignores reality.

This E3 was a preview race for De Ronde.

MvdP even called it a 'good training' and was quite happy afterwards.

From a morale sense, E3 was far from a Wout victory, given that he was dropped twice on the hills. Wout himself told Jan Bakelants the next day that he thought Pog and Mathieu could've pushed on and dropped him for good if they'd really wanted to, but he suspected they were happy knowing they could do so 9 days later. And that's what they did.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck