• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wout for the green jersey....again

Thats where he really shines with his consistency. He doesnt even have to win many stages. Just being on the podium or getting many top 10s will give him a lot of points. He will probably take a stage as well somewhere. Good chance for him to reach double digits stage-wins in the Tour this year! Only needs one more.

He was made for this competition being as all-round as he is, while not being the best at anything. He will also have some dom duties to think of. Should be good prep for worlds, which should be his next big target for the season. Hopefully having the team to back him. I cant help but think Leuven was his time to win... but it is hard when you get sabotaged by your own teammate. Some will say "well, he was not good that day"... but it would have been a different race, if a rider hadnt gone rogue and made the race that much tougher. Especially when that rider, whose time was coming anyway, was evidently strong enough to control it that day and could have helped in a major way.

Last edited:
He lost a 1v1 sprint in RVV2020 against Van der Poel after breaking free (together) in the final. He lost a threeway sprint against Pidcock in BP2021 after breaking free in the final. He got beaten by Pogacar in a sprint in Canada. He barely beat Alaphilippe in MSR, he barely beat Pidcock in Amstel. His sprint is suspect at best when he goes deep in the final. I also think he usually commits too much/hard in a break effort. I remember Pidcock saying as much in Brabantse Pijl, that every time Van Aert took the lead, the pace went up. I think he was fine with Van der Poel doing all the efforts while Van Aert was saving energy for once. He usually commits fully in a break. Given the fact that he still has only MSR, i think that was probably the smart thing to do, and we might have seen a different outcome this time, had he not punctured. It's easier to race freely when you already have a couple of monuments in the bag.
But I mean if he overcommits in breaks then that's the problem, right? Not forcing a break in the first place. Because sure, you might think vdP would have beaten him in a sprint, but then what did he do to avoid a sprint? He made one attack and surely he didn't think he would easily ride everyone off his wheel. PR is pretty much never won that way.

The reason I'm questioning both his and Alpecin's tactics is because Alpecin easily could have played it differently by sending Philipsen on attacks and van Aert could have avoided the problem by refusing to collaborate with vdP. I mean, suppose Phillippsen had been able to sneak away and gain 10 seconds? What do you think would have happened? Either Philippsen wins due to G2 dynamics or van Aert has to drag vdP for a while.

But I mean if he overcommits in breaks then that's the problem, right? Not forcing a break in the first place. Because sure, you might think vdP would have beaten him in a sprint, but then what did he do to avoid a sprint? He made one attack and surely he didn't think he would easily ride everyone off his wheel. PR is pretty much never won that way.

The reason I'm questioning both his and Alpecin's tactics is because Alpecin easily could have played it differently by sending Philipsen on attacks and van Aert could have avoided the problem by refusing to collaborate with vdP. I mean, suppose Phillippsen had been able to sneak away and gain 10 seconds? What do you think would have happened? Either Philippsen wins due to G2 dynamics or van Aert has to drag vdP for a while.
I don't think Van der Poel wanted to take that chance.

4th rider ever to win both San Remo and Roubaix in the same year, after Van Hauwaert 1908, Kelly 1986, and Degenkolb 2015.

Also 5th rider ever to win two of the first three monuments of the year and to come 2nd in the the third one. First who did it was Fred De Bruyne in 1957, then Merckx did it twice (1969, 1975), De Vlaeminck in 1977, and Sean Kelly in 1986. Honorable mention goes to Cancellara in 2013 who won Ronde and Roubaix and was 3rd at MSR.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread:oops:

Last edited:
4th rider ever to win both San Remo and Roubaix in the same year, after Van Hauwaert 1908, Kelly 1986, and Degenkolb 2015.

Also 5th rider ever to win two of the first three monuments of the year and to come 2nd in the the third one. First who did it was Fred De Bruyne in 1957, then Merckx did it twice (1969, 1975), De Vlaeminck in 1977, and Sean Kelly in 1986. Honorable mention goes to Cancellara in 2013 who won Ronde and Roubaix and was 3rd at MSR.

Edit: Oops, wrong thread:oops:
You did this so Wout would feel that much worse about his " good legs" and flat tire!!!!you are cruel!! The earth isn't flat but Holland is.. Congrats to Mathieu

Reactions: Blanco
LaPorte turns down offers from French teams to sign a 3-yr extension with JV. The entire team should thanks Wout for the uncontested win for LaPorte. A little bit of sharing goes a long way.

That was my thought, too! What a generous gesture -- where else will he be gifted wins? He'd have to spend a decade at Ineos before he's given a TdF stage win a la Kwiat...

Wout has a new gravel bike and is starting to ride gravel

5YLj8md17eI7EpAlUD4NqOCgxK4wY67R_pR-HeboEEZjhpUVmsA5lKpnQcQBChtkwTzaSVwoxI2SjJaulEChsx1f5n-ivD6GTHw=w750-e365

I don't think Wout will go for green per se in this year tours.
Focus'll be stage wins, perhaps helping out for yellow jersey, but most importantly setting himself up for WC beginning of august.

He might need the WC win to make up for not winning a monument this year unless he suprises us all in Lombardy.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Focus'll be stage wins, perhaps helping out for yellow jersey, but most importantly setting himself up for WC beginning of august.

He might need the WC win to make up for not winning a monument this year unless he suprises us all in Lombardy.

They probably realized after last year WvA doesn't even need to target green specifically, he'll just get it by default by riding the way he does.

I fully expect him to be wearing it again in Paris at the end of the TdF 2023.

Like he needed it last year, and the year before. Easier said than done. One of his biggest opponents will be in his own team, and he will had the upper hand in the team, being the current World Champion.