• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Ricco' said:
Anyone can translate the last tweet of Van Aert? Seems like he is saying that tomorrow will be his last race in blue.

https://twitter.com/WoutvanAert/status/1036305922551885824

Nice/beautiful race #AntwerpPortEpic ! Some bad luck, hence a defensive and difficult race situation. Actually cornered by Roompot ;) #karmaisabitch #indesandwich #tussendetaco Nothing is so bad that you can't laugh with it! Tomorrow, my last race in blue, dernycriterium in Wetteren.

Also, tweets have a translate button right below the tweet. Not perfect, but usually good enough to understand what he's saying.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Ricco' said:
Anyone can translate the last tweet of Van Aert? Seems like he is saying that tomorrow will be his last race in blue.

Don't you think it's because he will be riding in the rainbow stripes in the cross races (hence not in blue)?

Crelan - Charles don't ride in blue, as far as I remember. I took it as a confirmation he will leave the team next year.

I tried the auto translate but I didn't really understand ir, especially the Roompot part.

Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
tobydawq said:
Ricco' said:

Don't you think it's because he will be riding in the rainbow stripes in the cross races (hence not in blue)?

Crelan - Charles don't ride in blue, as far as I remember. I took it as a confirmation he will leave the team next year.

I tried the auto translate but I didn't really understand ir, especially the Roompot part.
Roompot has orange jerseys. I any case it is his last race for good old Verandas.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Wout Van Aert has announced his program for the coming cyclocross season.
September
16 sep. – Brico Cross Geraardsbergen
23 sep. – Wereldbeker Waterloo
28 sep. – Wereldbeker Iowa City
Oktober
6 okt. – Brico Cross Meulebeke
7 okt. – Brico Cross Ronse
13 okt. – Brico Cross Lokeren
14 okt. – Superprestige Gieten
18 okt. – Ardooie
21 okt. – Wereldbeker Bern
28 okt. – Superprestige Ruddervoorde
November
1 nov. – DVV Trofee Koppenberg
4 nov. – EK veldrijden Rosmalen
11 nov. – Superprestige Gavere
17 nov. – Wereldbeker Tabor
24 nov. – Wachtebeke
25 nov. – Wereldbeker Koksijde
December
15 dec. – DVV Trofee Antwerpen
16 dec. – Superprestige Zonhoven
23 dec. – Wereldbeker Namen
26 dec. – Wereldbeker Zolder
28 dec. DVV Trofee Loenhout
29 dec. Brico Cross Bredene
30 dec. Superprestige Diegem
Januari
6 jan. – La Mézière
13 jan. – BK veldrijden Kruibeke
14 jan. – Otegem
20 jan. – Wereldbeker Pontchateau
27 jan.- Wereldbeker Hoogerheide
Februari
3 feb. – WK Bogense
6 feb. – Brico Cross Maldegem

As per contract template prescribed by the UCI, rider may terminate the contract under these conditions:
1. The Rider may terminate the present contract, without notice or liability:

A. if the Employer is declared bankrupt or insolvent or goes into liquidation.

B. if the name of the UCI professional continental team or its principal partners is changed during the course of the calendar year without the approval provided for in article 2.16.018 of the UCI cycling regulations.

C. if the Employer or a principal partner withdraws from the UCI professional continental team and the continuity of the UCI professional continental team is not guaranteed or else if the UCI professional continental team announces its dissolution, the winding up of its activities or its inability to meet its commitments; should the announcement be made for a given date, the Rider shall continue to perform the contract until that date.

D. in the event of serious misconduct on the part of the Employer. Serious misconduct is considered to include a failure to permit the Rider, despite his repeated requests, to participate in competitions over a continuous period in excess of 6 weeks or over four discontinuous periods of 7 days each, during which periods at least 1 one-day race on the international calendar took place. Where relevant, the Employer shall be required to prove that the Rider was not in a condition to take part in a race.

E. if on 1st October of the year preceding the registration year covered by the present contract, the continental professional team has not submitted registration documents containing the required documents set out in Article 2.16.014bis, this right of termination lapses on the registration of the team in the first or second division.
It will be interesting to see if his lawyers try to use the serious misconduct clause, which seems to be the only viable option from the above (unless something else occurred from the above which we do not know yet).

Re:

PeterB said:
As per contract template prescribed by the UCI, rider may terminate the contract under these conditions:
1. The Rider may terminate the present contract, without notice or liability:

A. if the Employer is declared bankrupt or insolvent or goes into liquidation.

B. if the name of the UCI professional continental team or its principal partners is changed during the course of the calendar year without the approval provided for in article 2.16.018 of the UCI cycling regulations.

C. if the Employer or a principal partner withdraws from the UCI professional continental team and the continuity of the UCI professional continental team is not guaranteed or else if the UCI professional continental team announces its dissolution, the winding up of its activities or its inability to meet its commitments; should the announcement be made for a given date, the Rider shall continue to perform the contract until that date.

D. in the event of serious misconduct on the part of the Employer. Serious misconduct is considered to include a failure to permit the Rider, despite his repeated requests, to participate in competitions over a continuous period in excess of 6 weeks or over four discontinuous periods of 7 days each, during which periods at least 1 one-day race on the international calendar took place. Where relevant, the Employer shall be required to prove that the Rider was not in a condition to take part in a race.

E. if on 1st October of the year preceding the registration year covered by the present contract, the continental professional team has not submitted registration documents containing the required documents set out in Article 2.16.014bis, this right of termination lapses on the registration of the team in the first or second division.
It will be interesting to see if his lawyers try to use the serious misconduct clause, which seems to be the only viable option from the above (unless something else occurred from the above which we do not know yet).
Thought he'll use the lack of communication from team management side as a misconduct but there is no such thing in that paragraph. And I'm not aware of any denying him to start any races by his team... :Question:

I can understand his decision, since the team basically IS Van Aert. He's not just one of 30 top riders like at QuickStep or Sky. The only reason the team exists is Van Aert. Obviously, trading, selling, merging without his knowing... would be seen as personal betrayal by Van Aert. Maybe he won't win in court, but i can completely understand where he's coming from. I guess he'll just have to win a couple more CX races this winter :)

Re:

Flamin said:
Apparently something happened this weekend that made any further commitment impossible, according to his lawyer, thus ending the contract. Curious what that's all about.
Yep.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-aert-set-to-ride-as-lonesome-cowboy-after-bitter-spat-with-team/

"Something happened last weekend that was the last drop, there were already a lot of shortcomings on the part of the employer, and that is something that has changed over the weekend, which is why we immediately terminated the employment contract," Van Steenbrugge told Sporza.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
He was also not informed about ongoing merger negotiations with Aqua -Blue squad. When disclosed by Aqua - Blue, he was badly surprised and in my opinion asked the team no further surprises like this. And he had the right to do so, since he was main reason for the partners to do the merger... .

Actually, I have realised that it is unclear whether Wout had two separate contracts (one for road and one for CX), or only one. The paying agent is the same for both teams, so just one contract would in theory be possible, provided this is permissible under the UCI rules. By the way, the UCI CX contract template includes slightly different conditions for its unilateral termination.

I just hope Wout was not ill-advised by his lawyers otherwise this may turn against him pretty badly.