• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FFS I am mad and sad

Now its a whole other race. This might have been a legendary season to look back at, one for the books, and now it wont. Imagine catching Covid just before Flanders, Amstel and Roubaix, what shitty, shitty, SHITTY luck.

I was looking forward to this race SO much this year. Now I dont. FFS.

So one rider participating in a monument can determine if a season is legendary or not?

Reactions: jmdirt
So one rider participating in a monument can determine if a season is legendary or not?
...yes?

It's not one monument, even if he will be able to ride Roubaix, it will not be at the same capacity. I don't know for Jumbo, but infected riders at QuickStep had to stay off the bike for at least 4 days followed by 10 days of only short low effort training (30km per day). Both races are the pinnacle of the spring classics. Add Amstel and three main goals of the season are gone. Imagine the best duels/battles in cycling without one of the protagonists. Not that interesting.

...yes?

It's not one monument, even if he will be able to ride Roubaix, it will not be at the same capacity. I don't know for Jumbo, but infected riders at QuickStep had to stay off the bike for at least 4 days followed by 10 days of only short low effort training (30km per day). Both races are the pinnacle of the spring classics. Add Amstel and three main goals of the season are gone. Imagine the best duels/battles in cycling without one of the protagonists. Not that interesting.
Often depends on when you ask. That's why I'm always for telling the fans of the winner on the very day so we get more CN content.

Meanwhile for the Ardennes, I guess it's possible if it just happens to be that Van Aerts recovery helps him be recovered by Liege but not by Roubaix. However there's only a week between Roubaix and Liege so there's that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
...yes?

About every race on the calendar has riders dropping from the startlist. Yet we have seen some very entertaining races. Flanders also can become very attractive.

Don’t get me wrong. I would have loved for van Aert to be here. It’s terrible that a great champion like him is not able to find out if he could add to his palmares here.

But I don’t think it will be a decisive factor in whether this season will be legendary. I think that is a bit too dramatic. Cycling is super attractive at the moment even when one of the protagonists is not there. I think mathieus absence is the proof of that. :)

Often depends on when you ask. That's why I'm always for telling the fans of the winner on the very day so we get more CN content.

Meanwhile for the Ardennes, I guess it's possible if it just happens to be that Van Aerts recovery helps him be recovered by Liege but not by Roubaix. However there's only a week between Roubaix and Liege so there's that.
His question was ''can it'' so the answer is yes. It's a possibility. Not a certainty.

Let's see what the doctors say in a few days, whether he can ramp up his training or not.

About every race on the calendar has riders dropping from the startlist. Yet we have seen some very entertaining races. Flanders also can become very attractive.

Don’t get me wrong. I would have loved for van Aert to be here. It’s terrible that a great champion like him is not able to find out if he could add to his palmares here.

But I don’t think it will be a decisive factor in whether this season will be legendary. I think that is a bit too dramatic. Cycling is super attractive at the moment even when one of the protagonists is not there. I think mathieus absence is the proof of that. :)
Like i said, it ''can'' make or break a race, and two superb monuments ''can'' make or break a season (even one could tip the scales). So the answer to your question is ''yes''.

MSR and GV were great with exciting winners.
No reason why the next four big ones won't be either.
For all of this talk about the great MvdP/WVA rivalry, someone else usually bags the big one and between them they have one Monument each.

MSR and GV were great with exciting winners.
No reason why the next four big ones won't be either.
For all of this talk about the great MvdP/WVA rivalry, someone else usually bags the big one and between them they have one Monument each.
The discussion isn't about winning, it's about having a great race. Someone wins every year, but not every year has a great race.

Wout Van Aert is a pozzato level monument racer. It's like having pozzato missing from 2010 flanders
Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

Wout Van Aert is a pozzato level monument racer. It's like having pozzato missing from 2010 flanders

I actually think WVA and Pozzato are like „Black and White“… The biggest difference between them is their approach to cycling.

Wout breathes cycling, loves cycling, lives for cycling, has only cycling and his family in his life.

Pozzato was really different. He won a few things early, but soon developed numerous other interests besides cycling: cars, luxury items, eroticism, and stuff…

From this era, the only Flemish classics riders compareable to Wout were Boonen and Cancellara, probably. Something tells me, however, that Wout is even a little bit better than Boonen and Cancellara… :)

Reactions: Andre
Easy there.
He's better as an all arounder, but there's still a long way to go before being a better Classic rider.
I think he's physiologically better than Cancellara and much better than Boonen. Problem is that he has converted that into a single monument so far. His timing has also not been the luckiets but I don't really wanne delve into field strength arguments again.

Lol, WVA is not even close to prime Boonen and prime Cancellara. Some folks only start to see cycling in the last 3 years. If someone wants to see prime Cancellara, just see E3 Harelbeke 2011

Stuff like this is a little exasperating to read. Do you really believe that if Van Aert would be plopped down into the peloton 12 years ago he would be infinitely inferior to Boonen and Cancellara?